Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ok then, time for something completely different.  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
ok then, time for something completely different.
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »
I discovered this old 35mm slide in some of my mother's estate I was going through last month. I had a coworker scan it into a jpg. Forgive the dust flecks, I guess slides reveal all dust if not properly cleaned first.

Junior Prom, 1980.

Yes, I was a little excited... :P

Long story, more later.   

*sister & father's faces shaded to protect the innocent, ha*
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline tk

• View Profile
Re: ok then, time for something completely different.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »
Wow I had forgotten what a Civic from that era looked like.

Okay, I'll take a wild guess on what's going on here. You needed to get access underneath the car to deal with a mechanical or fluid issue?

OR

You needed to get the car close to the hose that is hanging down from the roof of the house?

Don't keep us in suspence too long :)

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
Women drivers.. Lol
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
A Honda Civic with a George Bush sticker on it! 

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 07:39:52 AM »
A Honda Civic with a George Bush sticker on it! 

lol, that's Bush #1 before Reagan beat him for the Republican nomination. My Dad was for Bush.

Women drivers.. Lol

I wish I could blame it on my mother or sister, but nope ...
Wow I had forgotten what a Civic from that era looked like.

We were the first family in our circle of friends to have a high mileage Japanese import. That was a great car and it sold me on the value of Honda's. I suffered endless grief from my party buddies though for having a yellow little car when muscle cars will still in vogue.  :D

Ok, story goes:
Our house lived on a slight hill and the home you see in the picture is actually the neighbors house behind ours and down the hill. Our drive way had a "turn-around" in the driveway and we would sometimes park one of our 2 cars there. Well, I was driving the 1975 Ford Gran Torino for prom as it was the "fancier" car. The Honda was parked in the turn-around. (You see where this is going). After the obligatory pictures with the date taken by my folks, we got in the car and I proceeded to back into the turn-around spot without looking. I remember feeling a BUMP, then seeing my fathers eyes explode  :o and he tears off chasing the car down the hill. Needless to say he didn't catch the car.
Miraculously it only damaged the neighbors steps and they were good sports about it as well.

30 years ago, yikes.

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »
See now if this happened today there would be lawsuits left and right
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »
Well, I was driving the 1975 Ford Gran Torino for prom as it was the "fancier" car.

Unlike the Civic, it probably had a bench seat, which can be more, um, convenient than buckets.  I thought Gran Torinos were cool in the 70s.

After the obligatory pictures with the date taken by my folks

Let's see THOSE! 

If anyone ever took a picture of me with a prom date, I'm not aware of it.

we got in the car and I proceeded to back into the turn-around spot without looking. I remember feeling a BUMP, then seeing my fathers eyes explode  :o and he tears off chasing the car down the hill. Needless to say he didn't catch the car.

This is the part I don't get.  Someone wasn't in the habit of setting the parking brake, or at least putting the car in gear?  Or was it in gear, but it rolled anyway?

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 08:36:17 PM »

we got in the car and I proceeded to back into the turn-around spot without looking. I remember feeling a BUMP, then seeing my fathers eyes explode  :o and he tears off chasing the car down the hill. Needless to say he didn't catch the car.

This is the part I don't get.  Someone wasn't in the habit of setting the parking brake, or at least putting the car in gear?  Or was it in gear, but it rolled anyway?
[/quote]

Yes, the plot thickens here. I can honestly plead innocence as although it was 30 years ago, I do remember I spent the afternoon washing and waxing the Ford so whomever drove the Honda last (my mother or father) failed to set the parking brake or put it in gear. But it could have been me as well, given my thoughts were prone to thinking about what might happen exploring that huge backseat. :)