Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zalusky riding school ??  (Read 8499 times)

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
Zalusky riding school ??
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
hey guys, some of you know me and my riding. i am looking to improve my skills and kicking around zalusky to help with that. I know several of you are familiar with the school, instructors, things like that. i have taken the basic safety when i got my endorsement, but nothing else yet.

Please, anything would be great. Posts here or pm's are good either way.
Thanks much for the time,
Joel
red 09 c14
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: Zalusky riding school ??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
Yes, a few of us on here are Lead Instructors.   I'd be happy to help you decide whether ZARS is the best program for you.   Everyone comes away with new understanding and skills.  We spend some time addressing street situations as well as using track techniques to improve rider skill.  Some other programs are more racer prep focussed, but we try to balance what people are interested in.

ZARS is structured and mixes class info with on course practice.   You can get improvements by riding with many of the seasoned riders on this site and talking techique while stoped, but the ratio of time talking wil be much lower and you may not progress as quickly.  Our instructor to rider ratio last year was 1 instructor to 3 riders, so you hear many different views and sometimes the way one of us phrases a concept just "clicks" for one of the students.   Most of us are volunteers and that is why the cost is still so reasonable.

My favorite part of the program is Friday nights.  Spend a few hours on your skill on Friday night and then go for a long ride on Saturday and use what you just learned.  I think registration just opened, so there are plenty of slots available.

Feel free to PM me or BDawg or post your question here.  There is also a lot of info on the Zars subforum on MNSBR.  
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
Joel, I have been thinking of going, too.

If you decide to attend, post the date you sign up for.  :)

Ehrich

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »
I think it's a great idea to give it a try.  I've done a dozen DCTC days over the last 3 years and have gotten a ton out of it.  The Friday night classes are relatively cheap ($55) so if you try it and it doesn't do anything for you you aren't out much.  You'll get 4 sessions of classroom instruction and 4 sessions on the track for that so it will give you a pretty good feel for what it's about and if you like it. 

Working on improving your riding skills while riding on the street is not the best way to go at it in my opinion.  Putting tons of miles down will definitely make you more comfortable and experienced, but how often do we talk about riding techniques at gas stops?  I know for me the topics of conversation are usually 1. bullshitting, 2. the awesome stretch I just rode (more bullshitting), 3. insane cagers/the amish, 4. roadkill, 5. boobies, 6. blah blah blah.  The great thing about ZARS/HE/whatever is that there is structured learning of skills, and that you put the new info into practice immediately after learning it.  Also, the course doesn't change so you get the same types of corners so you can repeat the skill in the same manner lap after lap.  Some riders say that it's a boring way to ride, but with the track being a control in the experiment, your riding style and inputs are the variable so you know what's causing improvement/worse results.

For the days themselves, you'll get out of them what you put into them.  The instructors will give you techniques and drills to focus on, but if you want to work on something else you can talk to them for advice and work on your own stuff.  The instructors and students are all there because they drink the kool aid too, so it's a really good vibe and everybody's really helpful.  If you stick with it the instruction becomes more advanced as you are able to build on the stuff you have learned from previous sessions.  As you hit the intermediate and advanced groups it becomes less "street" and more "track" skill oriented, but there is a ton of overlap between those skill sets so you will still be getting a ton out of it.

If you end up going, it's definitely more fun if you go there with a rider or two that you can pit with.  I haven't signed up for any dates yet this year but will be over the next few weeks.  You are welcome to pit with me if you want.

JP

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

Also, the course doesn't change so you get the same types of corners so you can repeat the skill in the same manner lap after lap. 

JP

This is the best part of riding on the track for me. I get the opportunity to repeat the same corners over and over. I can very gradually
increase my speed and lean angle each time thru as I work toward the limits of my skill.

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »
ZARS is great!  You won't be dissapointed at all.  The only thing dissapointing will be the fact that you will want to go again and again and again and (for me at least), my pocketbook dictates how many I can attend per year.  :(
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 02:13:21 PM »
I just signed up for May 15, level 1 (first time on track on a bike).   ;D

Any suggestions for a complete track beginner? 

Question: For taping up lights, bring along a roll of blue painter's tape?

This is going to be fun!

Offline Aprilian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »
I ride to the track and take a roll of tape.  The blue painter's tape is cheap and comes off cleanly. Black gaffer tape is also clean and is more expensive, but is much cooler on a black bike.

For other suggestions, check out the ZARS subforum over at MNSBR (sorry about a cross post, but there is no way I could repeat all the good info from there) http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?showforum=54

The one suggestion you may not find there is about tank pads.   If you are thinking about getting stomp grips, or similar, they will really help if your pants/seat are slippery.   Without them, people tend to hold the bars too tightly.  I suggested to Jessica that she stock some and she is loking into getting the universal small ones that she can sell at her events.

Looking forward to meeting you (I teach First Timers).
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:38:42 AM »
Excellent info, Ian!  Thanks!

I have lots of gaffer's tape; I do on-location classical performance recording.  :)

Tank pads are great.  I don't them on my current bike, but have been thinking about doing so.  I have an HT Moto race seat on order which should be nice and grippy.  The Ducati's stock seat is thin and slippery - more decorative than anything else.

Offline burn-z

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:26:30 AM »
ZARS is so much fun you won't enjoy riding on the street nearly as much. It's definately like crack. I did my first date last May and by October I was on my seventh time plus two days at BIR and one at Gingerman. It would have been more but I highsided on my first lap on cold tires at the end of September. I learned a valuable lesson that day.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »
ZARS is so much fun you won't enjoy riding on the street nearly as much. 

I had the opposite experience. After a track day at BIR I started to enjoy street riding even more. That said,
I recommend everyone try the track at least once.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »
I have a good amount of car track experience and have done some instructing.  I found that I like both track and street, and the track experience helps a great deal on the street as I have a much better understanding of what cars can do.

I hope to gain the same benefit from riding on the track.  I am also certain that I have bad habits to break and many things to learn.  

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »
I ended up with a conflict for May 15.  I have asked Jessica if I can switch my registration to June 5.

Bother.

Plus I would rather have the earlier date!

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
how many days does it usual take to be level 2 ??
if i do may and june, is june lev1 still ??
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:32:37 PM by JS_racer »
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Aprilian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
Jessica is easy to work with on date transfers and especially this early.
It takes 99.% of the riders 1 time to graduate 1 and move to 2.   You aren't a 1%er are you?  :)   Pace is slower in 1 and returning riders are welcome to self select the lower pace (but you know none do, right? ;))
If this snow melt keeps up at this rate, we will need to schedule some March dates. ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:25:35 PM by Aprilian »
Ian