Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:25:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dunlop Roadsmarts  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
Dunlop Roadsmarts
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »
Hey guys
So the Dunlop Qualifiers only got about another 1,000 miles or so left in em (will have little over 4,000 total) and I was thinking about replacing them with some Roadsmarts. Any thoughts/suggestions?
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Vander

Re: Dunlop Roadsmarts
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »
I'd like to know about them too.  They are one of the few tires offered in an 18 (rim size).

I do know that they are pretty highly rated, and are designed for longer tread life... but some testimonials would be nice.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »
The customers of mine that have them report;
any of them with bikes under about 480# think they are a bit slippery when ridden hard and take a bit to warm up, but all but one of them managed to ride on them at most of the pace rides without incident and they lasted close to 10,000 miles on the 600's and about 8-9500 on the other bikes. But I do know of 2 people who took these to DCTC for a trackday-one biffed it (don't know if it was tire realted, I was not there...)the other finished his day just fine- both were on 600cc sportbikes

My own personal experience on my 410# bike, ridden at a much more spirited pace; they took forever to warm up, I could slide either end at will, and often without warning or trying for the first 10-15 miles after any stop (fuel, food, crash, figure out where the hell we are looking at a map etc..anything over say 5 minutes), however once I got them up to full temp they stuck well enough for the pace we would ride- they certainly didn't inspire confidence though.................SO I highly recommend they do not go on a 600 sportbike, as I don't recommend a sport touring tire on a 600 period-unless you are really riding like a little ol lady and just tool around.
 However-ON any of the bikes ...say heavier sportbikes or standards ( 480#-550#)-they make a really good tire and with such a high content of silica in them, they stick extremly well in cooler weather and wet roads. The fronts do like/need to be run up in that 38 psi range in order to keep from cupping on bikes that are ridden with any pace.
If your bike is over 550# I would go with a full on touring tire, and right now the Metzeler ME880 is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else on the market in terms of traction in any conditiopns and tread life!

JVS- which qualifier did you have-they make over a dozen versions of a qualifier.?
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:31:47 PM »
As far as i can remember they were the qualifier Q2's. I had a set of them on the bike when I very first got it and I LOVED the traction they had but throwing down a little over 400 bucks every 4500 miles or so just won't cut it. I've heard good reviews about the roadsmarts especially in the rain as you said, but figured i'd ask around here cause there's no doubt in my mind this is the place to go for good info :)
I'm just under about 500 pounds  (the bike not me :P ), so you think I should throw on some roadsmarts?

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
 Worth a shot-they should work perfectly fine on your bike. And I happen to have a set on hand $235...lol  shameless plug

Some other members on here with liter bikes have run Sport touring tires and still only got about 4500 miles out of them ( BT021 and BT023's) but tire wear is so subjective...
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:43:00 AM »
yeah definitely, oh while were on the topic of tires do you or anyone else know any members that do tire mounting? Shop i went to before (won't mention the name) bent me over a bit last time i went in to get a new set and was curious if there was anyone who would be interested in a little work. (that is if your not too busy at the shop yourself lloyd? :) )

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »
yeah definitely, oh while were on the topic of tires do you or anyone else know any members that do tire mounting? Shop i went to before (won't mention the name) bent me over a bit last time i went in to get a new set and was curious if there was anyone who would be interested in a little work. (that is if your not too busy at the shop yourself lloyd? :) )

Lloyd does tire mounting.
Chris
----------

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
Okay well I'll shoot you a pm when the time comes or heck maybe even just talk to you on a msta ride or something :) thanks again