Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carb cleaning  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
Carb cleaning
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:20:31 AM »
So I cleaned my friends zx-6J carbs and reassembled them no problem so i figured what the heck why not just try and do mine while im at it. So here I am 4 in the morning and finally got them reassembled and put back on and i thought i was ready for spring riding. Wrong.
I went out to ride the bike today and it sounded like it was misisng on a cylinder so I took out the jets again and realized that I may have put them back in wrong (put pilot jet where main jet should be because they were the same size and i was too stupid to check before i put them all back in).

So the bike idles just fine and rev's decently but still isn't quite right..do I just need to sync the carbs again possibly or take them off and start all over?
Is it possible that the bike could still idle and hesitate with the pilot jet and the main jet switched?

I'm lost guys, any help would be great!
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: Carb cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »
All jets have numbers.  look up which should be where and confirm them being in right place.   Also, some bikes have larger jets on inside carbs because inside cylinders run hotter.  If you were tired and may have made a mistake, the best thought is to go back and reconfirm your work.   I know it is a lot of extra work, but I always hear about guys chasing a problem for months which eventually goes back to the first step they took being incorrect.    I just helped a guy this winter that had rewired his bike because the turn signal went bad and the replacement flasher did not fix the problem.   I tested the replacemetn flasher and it was bad fresh from the factory.  He later bought another new flasher and it worked.  Poor guy had himself convinced that since the manual's wiring diagram showed an orange wire (which wasn't on his bike) that he had to add it.  You should of seen his face when I asked, "So where do you think the orange wire disapeared to when the flasher stopped working?"
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
   My friend Tommy Wolk who runs 'Cycleshop'  in Anoka is a carb 'Guru'! I've watched him spray carb cleaner around carbs on a running bike to find air leaks. The rubber bits in the intake system (besides the manifolds!) all deteriorate with age and especially from chemical effects of the fuel. It seems the gas we get today has more of this effect-smells like 'coal tar' to me! One thind that is overlooked are the O rings at each end of the throttle shafts in CV carbs. The 80s bikes which are my favorites have very lean idle circuits and any air leak will drive one nuts trying to get smooth idling. As far as cleaning goes I had the carbs off of my '82 Seca about 6 times before I got all the dirt out-you really do need to strip them to the bone and search every nook & cranny where the minute bits of crud hide. I'm not a fan of gas stabizer and drain my systems completely each winter-Tommy gets dozens of bikes each spring that won't run due to fuel left in them over the winter. Another aspect that has come up lately is plastic tanks swelling from fuel left in them-my Futura gets drained and dried to avoid that. See you soon,Guzzi John :banana:
john pierson

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
Okay so i figured i may as well take it all apart again and check it and with a little help from fzrarchives.com I figured it all out! I got all the jets back in and all set, now I just need to sync the carbs together.. I'm stuck between taking it into lloyd or just trying to do it myself (as im sure he's plenty busy this time of year)
thanks guys

Offline Repsol guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:50:26 PM »
Okay so i figured i may as well take it all apart again and check it and with a little help from fzrarchives.com I figured it all out! I got all the jets back in and all set, now I just need to sync the carbs together.. I'm stuck between taking it into lloyd or just trying to do it myself (as im sure he's plenty busy this time of year)
thanks guys

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:48:21 PM

I just went through this with my SECA about a month ago.... Ran great for a while but is kinda rough on the idle right now 'till it gts really warmed up.... then it's a rock star again!

So if you have a carb stick/vacuume gage the sync part isn't too bad, just follow the directions i the manual for your bike (inners to outers then all four for me). Good luck man.... I feel for ya!

RG
Life shrinks or expands according to ones courage!

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
Yep got if all squared away an is running great thanks
Jeff