Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MC Parking  (Read 3125 times)

Offline T.W. Day

• View Profile
    • Geezer with a Grudge
MC Parking
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »
A friend at work, Charles Fletcher, has taken on the St. Paul Metermaid Society as a personal quest. We have a couple of unmarked parking spaces in front of the school where I work in downtown St. Paul and, for a couple of years, those space were exactly right for a pair of motorcycles per space. Since they were unmarked and unmetered, it made sense to park there. Eventually, the local metermaids decided to ticket bikes in those spaces with a different irrational penalty each time. Last year, Charles decided to fight them. So far (almost 20 tickets later), he's winning, but it's a solo battle and I suspect he will eventually lose.

With the crazy delusion that American motorcyclists might someday has balls as big as French motorcyclists (http://ukfrancebikers.com/2010/03/14/french-motorcyclists-more-angry-than-ever/ ), I wonder how we might add some fuel to Charle's fire? Ever since watching M Moore's Sicko (and hearing the expat American say "In France the government is afraid of the people; In the US you have exact opposite."), I've wanted to remind someone in government that they are our poorly performing employees. Maybe if a few risk-taking motorcyclists started this off it might turn into some kind of democratic movement. I know, what a freakin' daydream.

Offline TomG

• ODO: 30,485
    • View Profile
    • Minneapolis Criminal Lawyer
Re: MC Parking
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
I'd suggest seeking help from city council members and the mayor's office.  I'd start with the city council member for the jurisdiction (location) in question.  This is the kind of thing they can fix.
Tom G
Red Duc Mon

Offline EverydayRiding

• View Profile
    • Everyday Riding
Re: MC Parking
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:41:33 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed this video in the link:

I would think, in addition to the city council/mayor, the AMA might help organize something like this.