Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hydration  (Read 2971 times)

Offline DaleB

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle Touring for Beginners
Hydration
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
Years ago I tried the original Camelback for holding water that I could drink while riding. I stopped using it after a few rides because it was too heavy and I'd sweat a lot underneath the water bag. It also blocked the horizontal vent across the back of my stich.

Now days there are a lot more choices for hydration. What do you use and would you buy it again?

Dale B
DaleB

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
Re: Hydration
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »
I've got a waist hydration setup which I usually just put in my tank bag. I let the bite tube hang out of the bag so I can pull it out for a drink while riding. On long hot trips I'll wear it if I'm wearing a two piece set up, but when I'm in my one piece Stich it doesn't work.

Offline bkra13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »
1.5l camelbak bladder in the tankbag works extremely well  .  Throw a few ice cubes in, a damp towel over top and it'll stay cool for at least 150 miles at 90+ degrees across Nebraska. 

bk

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:03 AM »
Here is the one that I have.  It was great for while I was in training & has served me well on the bike.  It has a 3L bladder & pockets to carry some snacks as well as other items.  I believe they have the same version that is not a camo color.

http://www.camelbak.com/government-military/hydration-packs/mule500.aspx
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Richard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:28:48 AM »
This is what I have: http://www.camelbak.com/government-military/hydration-packs/hi-viz.aspx

There are many advantages.  It's Hi-Viz, it has tear-away straps, and an anti-bacterial bladder.

I won't try to drink while I ride, but I can tell you that you would most likely want to get a different end piece.  The tube is anti-bacterial as well, but the end piece is most likely too large to easily get into a helmet.  You can just pop it off and put on any end you want.

I did the rough math, and I've put 550 liters of water through mine without ever cleaning it.  It is just fine.  No funk. Just rinse.

I've only had to have the tear away straps do their job once, and they did their job well.

I also own a mil-spek Camelbak Mule.  It's nice, but a bit much as far as size (it's a good sized back pack/day pack as well.)

Bottom line:  I really like my anti-bacterial mil-spec bladder.  It's the only daily use piece of equipment I own that is still doing its job after three years.  It's also the least expensive piece of gear I use.

As far as being warm on your back, I don't have a problem with it, but I've been told that I'm a little different than the average person when it comes to high heat, sweating, and discomfort.  It doesn't bother me, but a on very hot day the ventilated back piece gets quite hot and wet with me.  Considering how it is attached, I have to believe it offers some level of back protection with water in the bladder as well.

Again, that doesn't bother me at all, so I would suggest that for a normal person, a mil-spec bladder in a tank bag with a 90 degree valve added would be a great option.