Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '86 Honda Interceptor 500 fuel hose question  (Read 4170 times)

Offline wiemanca

• View Profile
'86 Honda Interceptor 500 fuel hose question
« on: June 12, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
Does anyone know the correct hose routing from the fuel shutoff valve assy?  We have a Haynes manual, that shows the main fuel line, & vacuum hose.  There is another spout coming off the valve, that was capped, when we bought it 2 yr ago.  Cycle runs good with it capped.  The last time my son rode it, last week, for about 150 miles, ran good also.  After it was parked in the garage, the plugged spout started to leak fuel.

This makes us wonder, what is it for.  Does not seem that it should have fuel, without a good way to plug it.

Haynes Manual does not show this spout.

It is the same size as the vacuum hose line spout.

Also, the cycle starts very hard, after sitting for several days.  Let it sit for a few weeks, and it starts, but stalls then wants to run on maybe 2 cyl, and takes many tries to keep running and get to run on all 4 cyl.

Carbs were rebuilt about 2 yr ago.  He had not run for several years previous to that time.

Thanks for any suggestions that anyone may have for us.
We Ride for MS
msmotorcycleride.org

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: '86 Honda Interceptor 500 fuel hose question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:47:15 PM »
Get a rebuild kit for the petcock. nothing would have ever been hooked up to that "extra" nipple on the petcock.
Big one obviously for fuel
furthest small one away from petcock is for vacuumn-
the other small one is nothing.

It is 25+ years old and the rubber parts don't last forever.

maybe you can get lucky and just take it apart and clean it?
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline wiemanca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  The petcock seals/rubber are bad.  New parts are on order.  Guess we are lucky, that they are still available, as not much is still available from Honda anymore for that cycle.
We Ride for MS
msmotorcycleride.org

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:25:39 AM »
Like Harley Honda says they still make parts for every motorcycle they have ever made.

Offline wiemanca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  It took two tries by dealer to get correct parts.  Parts are installed, and no more leaks.  And..........extra pitcock is not leaking either.  Guess it is not used, other than to leak fuel with rubbers fail.  Yea yea, I know, leaky rubbers are not a good thing.  :D
We Ride for MS
msmotorcycleride.org

Offline VFJayR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Like Harley Honda says they still make parts for every motorcycle they have ever made.

Thats not necessarily true.  I believe that Honda guarantee's that they will provide parts for 12 years after the model is retired.  I had a lot of problems getting parts for my 85 '500. 
2003 VFR
2008 CBR1000RR