Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Can We Make 2011 A Crash Free Year?  (Read 19445 times)

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
How Can We Make 2011 A Crash Free Year?
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
I can't remember a time when we have gotten so far into the riding season without having an accident on a group ride. Either we have been very lucky this year or we are doing some right, or most likely it is a bit of both.

What have we been doing right? What can we do better?

At the very least, I hope this post helps everyone remember to ride safe while having fun this summer.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: How Can We Make 2011 A Crash Free Year?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »
  Your question does beg the description of "what is an accident?" Because in my description of accident-I wouldn't say we are accident free.
Perhaps everyone is finally "getting it" ( a few "harsch" lectures in the past at the pre ride gathering?)- the disappointment on everyones face after an off, perhaps our selective non cross posting and many of the "occassional" riders haven't actually joined a ride yet, plus the weather hasn't cooperated for the most part-so I know my miles ridden to date are down significantly from most years. ( It is damn near July and I am only at 5600- and I cheated and rode in Texas in January)

Sunday will have a short lecture before the ride, due in large part to 1 "new" rider to the group, he will be part of my group. But it will be a reminder to everyone of expectations and some general courtiousness to the other participating riders. ( following distances, riding YOUR ride instead of just following the leader etc...)

It would be great if we actually went a season without incident, and hopefully if nothing else we can go the season with no serious injuries.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:02 AM »
I agree with Lloyd, that a short lecture giving everyone a heads up, that this aint no race, and to keep the ego's in check is a good idea. Also I was on one of these rides and one of my friends was told he was riding too close for his first time riding with this crew (problem solved) If you are a respected rider and you put your foot down when someone is ridin like a dill weed, it should only be looked at as the right thing to do. I would rather have someone say, knock it off or go home, rather than I new the guy was gonna crash, he was ridin like an idiot.
MD
Push Harder

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:02 AM »
I think it helps that we keep these rides here only and yes quest are most welcome. There are others that are on other forum that do come on these ride but I think the know that it is a much differant pace here. For one we ride mostly in the double digits and they ride mostly WFO. I go on some of their rides. Also because we are yes a little bit older that we will speak up and tell some one that they are doing something that they shouldn't be doing. On the other forums they seem to except this behavior. They are getting it now because I been yelling at some of them for this in front of every one. In fact on one ride I am told this one rider had seven others with and all turned around and went home because of the way he was riding. Good for them. Any one of us can crash at any time but at least we try to lower the risk.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
Ray, I'm glad that the rides have been "uneventful".  I seldom ride with groups because I hade seeing other people crash due to "testosterone poisoning".  Lloyd, I'm not sure I agree with your premise that we are getting better because we are getting older.  A couple of the riders on the list have had offs on an organized ride, however not a MN MSTA ride.  [That info is from what has been posted on another website].

If you are having success, it may well be from helping individuals understand before the ride what "ride your own ride means".   I gave that lecture before a group ride I led a couple years ago.   One rider was so pissed at the end because of our pace and that they were way over their head keeping up.  They since have sold their Bandit and ride a moped!   I now spend a lot more time explaining what "ride your own ride" looks and FEELS like.   I do the similar look and feel talk at the track when someone throws out "hold your line" without explaining it to a new track rider.

Congrats on the good record and keep it up!
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
Measure chicken strip usage prior to each ride and judge accordingly :P
I'm "new" to this forum so I guess I don't have much say but the best thing i've learned is leaving the cocky-ness at home. No matter how good any of us think we are, there's always gonna be some guy better, faster and more experienced. Trying to keep up with said guy can....will be disastrous. 
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 04:03:29 PM »
No matter how good any of us think we are, there's always gonna be some guy better, faster and more experienced. Trying to keep up with said guy can....will be disastrous. 

IMO the best thing said :)
Chris
----------

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »
 Well not to make light of the situation, but this has been shot all to hell.

I have on the last several outings, taken the time to follow pretty much everyone and video them...I have been making these videos into DVD's for each person to do their own self critique. ( This is a pain in the ass- dumping the entire video to a flash drive would be much easier)

I find if you actually view these and honestly critique your own riding, you could be your own best weapon in improving your riding.

Of course you do have to know what you are looking at and what to do to actually correct any areas you can improve upon.

There are several riders who have had numerous questions for many members of the forum in their efforts to improve their riding. This is a good thing and I applaud them for continueing in their riding skills advancement, but too much is too much at some point one can only stand to talk about that side of motorcycling for so long.

I know many members are more than willing to help others out, but remember most of us are really out riding for the enjoyment of riding not to try to "teach". Even though pretty much everyone is willing to answer questions and dispense advice- out of respect for everyone on the rides this time should be kept to aminimum and not made to be the sole purpose or topic on the rides (unless it is posted as such a ride)

Which speaking of.........I will be doing another one of my introductory rides like last year, with the main difference being-you will get about 20-30 minutes of video footage of yourself...you supply me with a flashdrive of atleast 4GB (you will get it back for yourself) Watch for a post on this in the next week or so
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
If we define a crash as anytime the bike is damaged through contact with the ground or an object,
I have crashed 3 times this season. :'(

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »
If we define a crash as anytime the bike is damaged through contact with the ground or an object,

if i add moving to the definition that should help you  :-\
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »

Your bike highsiding itself in the wind in front of The Creamary while you are inside getting an ice cream cone is hardly a crash.

Why you surely could have parked differently or any number of circumstances could have happened to avoid this---it still is not a crash..........

The Deer---well you didn't fall down or run into a tree, a pole, a car a truck etc....and yes your bike suffered significant damage...I would not consider this a crash either, although its drawing a fine distinction as to "fault" in my opinion---as nearly any circumstance could be changed with a "if only" (I had been going 5 mph slower or faster, or not passed that car or passed that car, or.......)

So stop beating yourself up over a tip over where you were not even within sight of the bike and a deer running into the side of your bike....just my .02

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
TK's not beating himself up.  He's bragging about surviving another attempt from the grim reaper (although I don't think the reaper had anything to do with the Creamery tipover, probably just God ticked at his cholesterol habit, LOL)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »
TK's not beating himself up.  He's bragging about surviving another attempt from the grim reaper (although I don't think the reaper had anything to do with the Creamery tipover, probably just God ticked at his cholesterol habit, LOL)
LOL +1
Chris
----------

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
Boy is this ever shot to hell for the season!!  I don't know if its the amount of miles people are putting on or the locations we are all riding in but there seems to be a lot of crashes lately.

I've heard about two this weekend & it isn't even over yet!!  Over the past few years it seemed that the people crashing were the younger less experienced crowd from "other" forums.  But this year its all over the board.

That could be due to a lot of people being on more than one forum but in general, lately the crashes are people I would think weren't prone to that sort of thing.  Maybe it's time for each of us to take a long look at how we ride & maybe take some experienced rider courses or something.

I know the solution to this is going to vary person to person but I know I'm going to be taking it a bit easier when I ride the rest of this season.
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »
Track crash
Deer hit

hardly cause to sound the alarm IMO

glad they faired okay to ride another day