Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:36:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GoPro HD  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
GoPro HD
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:48:01 PM »
Pagans,
   Is enough mounting hardware included in the basic GoPro HD package to safely mount this system on your bike?

Greg
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Re: GoPro HD
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
depends on which one. you said basic but I don't see that option
HD Helmet HERO - yes
HD Motorsports HERO - yes and then some
HD Surf HERO - no
HERO Naked - yes
HD HERO 960 - yes

Lloyd's in on the right side of his fairing
Ken has his mount to his windshield

I don't have one yet, I want to see what the video difference is between Ken's the Motorsports Hero and Lloyd's the HERO 960

Ken uses a fishing leader as a safety strap for his just in case, but we ran all over the mountains with it on his bike with no issue.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:29:30 PM by Chris »
Chris
----------

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:25:33 PM »
cool, thanks!

My trips to Arkansas are dwindling, I'm thinking I finally might get some rolling footage to show my nieces & nephews of their loony old uncle misbehaving.  ;)
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 06:43:55 AM »
I have the motorsport hero and i use the suction mount on my tank, it hold like a champ. I also have a fish leader tethered to my handlebar, just in case. But its never come close to coming loose.

Ide highly recommend the 1080p heros over the 960, for the simple fact you cant use the back-pac system with the 960.

With the back-pac system, you can attach a second battery to the back of the camera for 5.5 hours of video time. Plus when you buy the battery bac-pack it also works as an external battery charger.

There have been multiple posts on the gopro forums of the camera getting bricked by charging the battery via the camera plugged into the USB port on computers. The external battery charger is extra peace of mind.

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:08:34 PM »
just got a motorsport this week, haven't used it yet though. 32g card, extra battery. and ordered one of these for charging http://cgi.ebay.com/WALL-CHARGER-RECHARGER-AC-110-220-GoPro-HD-BATTERY-/320728804888?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item4aaced2e18  my wife played with it for a few minutes last night and told be to get the screen. For sure i will before a trip, just to review and playback videos to know they are good. spendy thing though.

might play with it some tomorrow so i can try different settings, and positions on the bike before Sundays ride.
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
You didnt get get the battery back pac? I think its a better deal than buying an external charger + a battery.

Its $50, comes with a battery, and the backpac system is an external charger.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/battery-bacpac/

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »
could be, yes i saw it. thinking of the LCD screen and cant use both together. plus i figured a spare battery could always come in handy with the back pack too.
can you charge the internal battery in the camera with the external conected?? say both with 1 usb cable at the same time?

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
could be, yes i saw it. thinking of the LCD screen and cant use both together. plus i figured a spare battery could always come in handy with the back pack too.
can you charge the internal battery in the camera with the external conected?? say both with 1 usb cable at the same time?

from what I have read you CAN'T use both the backpac and the LCD at the same time
Chris
----------

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:01:17 PM »
from what I have read you CAN'T use both the backpack and the LCD at the same time

correct.  not sure if the battery bacpack and internal charge together or not.

update: called, both need to charge separately. also if the battery bac pack is used, it depletes the aux battery first, then the cameras battery.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:39:44 PM by Joel S »

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 01:24:48 AM »
Spare battery is only 19.99 (retail, you can get them cheaper)

I carry the spare with me, the 32 G memory card will easily hold over 10 hours of footage-which means @ 2.5 hrs per battery-you would go through both batteries twice long before the card is full....call me crazy but why would you need the camera on for more than 2.5 hours continuously....battery swap takes what 30 seconds...of course you do need to find a charging source at some point

I haven't experienced any issues thus far with charging off the usb port of the computer...of course an AC charger would be nice for when a computer isn't handy.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
call me crazy

You're Crazy!!!  ;D  :P

Chris
----------

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »
"Lloyd's in on the right side of his fairing"

And with my suspension being on the firm side it gets alot of bounce and vibration on roads that aren't even that bad (ie....a road like D just up 35 from Nelson)--part of that is the mounting location-the closest fairing support bolt is about 4" away from the camera point....some electrical tape from the camera to the frame solved this for the most part...but it would be better to just do it better with the mount located in a sturdier position

I would suggest a windshield mount or a mount on the triple or fuel tank so you look through the windshield or next to a mirror post or if you do a side fairing mount-keep it very close to a rigid mounting point where the fairing is bolted to the bike (less flex)

^ Thanks Chris--everyone knows this already
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!