Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:00:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bike GPS or App  (Read 1558 times)

Offline i h8 winter

• View Profile
Bike GPS or App
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »
Is there a GPS or App that will let a person input a specific route? 

As an example today I Google Mapped some roads from Mpls to St. Cloud and had a few issues trying to find the roads I wanted to ride being I was not familiar with the area and traffic was buzzing by me as I was trying to read street signs. I was thinking if I could input “my route” into a GPS this could keep me on track when I have issues finding the roads I’m looking for.
Thanks Guy’s & Gal’s
-mat-

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
Re: Bike GPS or App
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »
This isn't really the right area to post this question on but I'll help you out.  This area is for established or already designed routes to be posted.

You'll need a GPS that is enabled to accept routes, not just favorites.  You design the route via a number of software which yours truly is still figuring out to my liking.  Then you need some software that can connect to your GPS, which you use to upload your map and then send to the GPS.  Most route files are .GPX files. 

Google map files are KML files.  There are a number of free downloads that will convert KML to GPX.  Be aware that most google map files need to be converted down via other programs like GPSBabel, because the google files contain way too many information points/waypoints and your GPS will not accept it.

Good luck and have fun!!  There's a number of great day trips already in GPX format for you to practice uploading right here in this forum.  Many thanks to those who designed them, great rides.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:06:34 AM »
This is a great question, Mat.  I've used Google Maps and Latitude on my phone, and they're great for telling me where I am, but what you're talking about is the biggest single reason I bought a GPS in the first place.  I wanted to plan a route on a map and then follow it without having to rely on roads signs or wonder whether I was still on my route.

Most GPSes will let you plan a route or routes on your computer (I almost always use Mapsource now, but I've used Microsoft Streets and Trips and Delorme Street Atlas in the past) and upload it to the GPS.  When I'm following a route, my GPS constantly displays how far it is to the next turn and the name of the road I'll be turning on.

Most new GPSes can speak, but since I don't like listening to a GPS, I usually have the sound turned off, and that means I occasionally miss a turn because I'm not watching the GPS closely enough.  Then my GPS gives me the option of recalculating to get back on my route.

Brent

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »
My preference is to listen to the turn-by-turn directions from my GPS; this eliminates diverting your eyes away from the road, which IMHO is a far safer way to navigate a complex routes (oh yeh, route sheets should be banned from existence).