Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:59:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Group Riding Speed and more - Proposed Pacing Guide by Mr. Gadget  (Read 12022 times)

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
Re: Group Riding Speed and more - Proposed Pacing Guide by Mr. Gadget
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
I've been on on dozens of rides (albeit usually pretty small groups) and a "slow" group hasn't ever been even discussed - I'd say de facto stigma, or perhaps the leaders weren't willing to admit how fast they would really run (a de facto stigma the other way?).  In fact I only recall one time when anyone explicitly volunteered to hang back (Six Chin / Chubblebeeks has my highest regard) to help a person who was way out of her league on a ride I was leading (regretably I didn't recognize that the process of improvement (shaking off the rust) wouldn't be complete enough by the time we got to the most technical sections).  No one has ever discussed falling off the pace or leaving either...

Of course Ride Your Own Ride is a CYA, but the route sheet, mn-msta group ride reading (The Pace) and pre-ride understanding of the situation are tools to assist everyone, as opposed to lip service which helps no one (i.e. Ride Your Own Ride, but keep up so you don't get lost).

a.s.

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
please kill this thread.........everyone is just repeating what has been said.

die thread, die. 

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »

die thread, die. 

+1
Chris
----------

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »

die thread, die. 

+1

to which Chris replied with what someoone said before - that made me smile, thanks.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »
^ best post in this thread by far

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
^ best post in this thread by far

really? you guys don't see the irony in a post asking people to stop posting?   :)

....in before the lock 
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:39 PM »
ha, i hope for no lock, nothing but legitimate suggestions, questions and explanations offered so far (repetitive, yes, lock-worthy, no way).

a.s.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
  I like the fact that people are thinking about this. The rides I lead are intended to be enjoyable for us oldsters but not boring for the younger folks.  Scenery,Safety,Sanity w Curves! ::)GJ
john pierson

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:56 PM »
Well almost nobody wants to be in the "slow" group (ego, stigma or any number of reasons) so you have one of the most skilled riders taking 1 or 2 people on a ride and stopping and waiting and riding "slowly" and warning them of dangers in every turn and really just giving a guided babysitting tour....sounds like a great time to me (sarcasm !)

This was really hard to quote out of that whole text.  :)

Anyway, I disagree with that statement.  I've led plenty of slow groups that wound up being the majority of the riders who showed up.  Sometimes it's really a matter of who shows up than the perceived speed difference to the faster groups.  My pals from the early days of MN-sportbike tend to want to ride together.  Or likewise, I'll ride with a slower group if someone like Brent is leading, because I know my day will not be boring when he is leading.   I have rarely felt like I was "babysitting" slow people and well.....big deal if it works out that way.  Some of us are out to enjoy the ride and sometimes there is enjoyment of helping new people learn how to group ride.  The only time I get frustrated is when someone want's me to work out their fuel mileage for them.  Seriously, you have to know your bike well enough to know how much fuel it carries and your range on a full tank.

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »
I was thinking about changing my oil last night.  Then decided not to because I had no oil and also no oil filter. 

So I guess I will wait. 

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
Did anyone see the season premiere of Two and a Half Men?  Was pretty funny no? 

Nothing like seeing Ashton's cheeks on most of his scenes.  That guy seriously works out. 

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2011, 10:52:33 AM »
  Demi's private parts are very DEMAN-DING! :o
john pierson

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2011, 11:23:26 AM »
Look here!

I love it....LOL

I also love the copy cat post of let the thread die becasue it is just repeating what others said already....LOL

Thanks for my brief bit of amusement today, now go back to your off topic oil change talk, tv shows and celeb parties and what have you---

PKPK, while you can disagree with my accessment, it doesn't change my mind or opinion or what I see regularly.

I too enjoy Riding with Brent and find it refreshing and fun, the few times I have ridden with you I have enjoyed it as well---so I am not calling you guys out as the "slow" group. And I have led plenty of "slow" groups and some of those people would surely say it was still too fast. So "SLOW" or "FAST" it all about perception.

Let me differentiate something for you guys---rides I have been on that we have had multiple leaders and called out a "fast" group and a "slow" group or whatever, the reality is all the groups are riding about the same pace(probably within 5 mph of each other)....only once can I recall a group actually having a significant speed differential from the other groups and that was one of the Slimey Crud rides last year and a bunch of zg/ta people showed up and Vince "led" them around at the kind of speed they tend to ride 100+ if you get my drift..We Medium group I led (pace riding about 70) still passed them before the first gas stop and they never caught up until Leland about 45 minutes after my "medium" group was already their and the "slow" group (also pace riding about 70) was already there as well.

Sorry Vince had to make my point.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:25:55 AM by Lloyd »
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Mr. Gadget

• View Profile
    • Paid To Be Green
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2011, 11:32:50 AM »
I have rarely felt like I was "babysitting" slow people and well.....big deal if it works out that way.  Some of us are out to enjoy the ride and sometimes there is enjoyment of helping new people learn how to group ride.

I agree with pkpk 100% - We should be willing to just enjoy the ride and know that we are helping new people through the learning process of participating in group rides.  This is the only way to grow the sport.  I have noticed and heard from a reliable source that the ridership is down.  We should be encouraging new people and making them feel welcome. 

Otherwise it comes across as a group of elitist and we are too good or fast or experienced to hang with Newbie's.  I never really felt that way because of my personality and when I came to my 1st ride with the MN-MSTA with pretty good skill's that I'm still refining each group ride.

BTW: pkpk thanks for being a great guy letting me work through my silly ego stuff - I now hang off my ST1100 to keep up on tight curves rather than drag pegs on the ground :)

Also - Thank you Ray916MN for giving me great advise, tips and so much help with tire issues and fuel flow stuff on the 9 day trip to the mountains in July.

I have lead allot of rides in the last 2 years with the Freedom Riders and I get bored sometimes when I want to go faster.  I just wait at the turns and remind them to ride their own pace and enjoy the ride ;)

Lastly - Nice try gdawgs to change the topic - You should probably just start a new thread in the Off Topic area or not read these posts if it upsets you  8)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:39:40 AM by Mr. Gadget »