Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: yes? no? maybe? sometimes?  (Read 5832 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
yes? no? maybe? sometimes?
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »
I've seen 4 in the past week alone in Minneapolis. I kind of dig 'em.

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Re: yes? no? maybe? sometimes?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
FIAT = Fix it again Tony.....

Chris
----------

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
That aint no Pininfarina design
Push Harder

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:08 PM »
They got a good rating for crash worthiness.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Probably because they bounce off things and tumble down the road.  Too bad the occupants wind up with scrambled brains after 20+ rolls.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
I saw a lot of 500's when I was in England, but If I were going to go econo box I'd still prefer one of these.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
I'd like an original Mini. 

The Fiats are kind of fun.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
I think there is a real market for cars with 50+mpg if the oil companies will allow it, my guess is they won't cause these cars have been out there for awhile. The smart car made it because it's in the mid 40's. Protecting the oil companies investments is the priority in this country, why is the rest of the world diving cars that have been getting better gas milage than our for years?
Push Harder

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »
. . . why is the rest of the world diving cars that have been getting better gas milage than our for years?

They are much smaller than we are willing to drive.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
Those little 500's are pretty cute in person, lots of character for sure.

why is the rest of the world diving cars that have been getting better gas milage than our for years?

I think that government interference (i.e. pollution and safety regulations along with "late breaking" changes to fuel economy policy) plays a huge role.  Cars are heavier than ever, and like Elk said, I don't want to give up any features or performance.

It's easy to make a 50+ mpg car that sucks, but predicting what consumers will really want to buy (i.e. profit to make it worth it) as well as guessing at what new or changed government regulations will need to be complied with 8-10 years ahead of a model launch (when the real DNA for a car is laid down) is basically impossible.

On a similar note, I'd like to know which part of making rechargeable batteries is good for the planet.

a.s.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 08:00:13 AM »
why is the rest of the world diving cars that have been getting better gas milage than our for years?

Another reason is that, we in the US drive longer distances then most places else where in the world and our crash test requirements are higher its harder for these light small cars to pass them.
Chris
----------

Offline supraman

• View Profile
    • Ben's Travel Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
The J.Lo car! lol, sure the ads haven't affected your perception of that little car Greg? ;D

Why is the rest of the world diving cars that have been getting better gas milage than our for years?

The distance we drive was already brought up, as was American's propensity for bigger is better. Another reason is that European's suffer from high fuel tarriff's. Gas in Britian in September (if my math is right) was $8.24/gal! (1.357 pounds per liter.) If I had to pay over $8 a gallon I would certainly be driving something that got 50mpg's, like a motorcycle! :)
It's not what you ride, but how you ride it that counts!

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »
they are cool.  i want to test ride one when i get a chance. 

makes you feel better when your other vehicle just drives a loop each weekend for no other purpose than to spike the heartrate. 

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 09:15:50 AM »
The new Bug is kind of cool as well. A little more masculine in styling than the previous Beetle.

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Duc Man

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
The new Bug is kind of cool as well. A little more masculine in styling than the previous Beetle.

Definitely a better looking bug...the change of the roof line definitely helps