Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: yes? no? maybe? sometimes?  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Re: yes? no? maybe? sometimes?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
the new bug has Audi lights, looks wider too
Chris
----------

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »
the new bug has a porsche rear end look too, very nice.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
The new Bug is kind of cool as well. A little more masculine in styling than the previous Beetle.

V.W, needed to add a little male appeal after the previous version cornered the 55+ year-old female market.

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
That's the Fiat J-Lo drives in the commercials right? My god is it ever ugly, sorry. That and the Mini Cooper make the Mazda Miata seem manly...

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »
Neat car. Too bad there isn't a real high performance version. I always think I need to swing by the dealer and check one out.

I keep pointing the commercials out to my wife and suggesting it as a replacement for her Mini. No sale. She doesn't like it. On the other hand although it is a hoot to drive, I'm getting tired of the maintenance costs of the Mini.

We'd all be much more interested in these cars if gas were taxed as heavily as it is in other countries. As long as gas is relatively inexpensive interest in economical cars will be limited and interest in conspicuous consumption cars like Hummers will be high.

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 09:47:33 PM »
I think the high performance version is coming next year, the Abarth edition is the equivalent of the John Cooper Works Mini. Should be interesting.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
We'd all be much more interested in these cars if gas were taxed as heavily as it is in other countries. As long as gas is relatively inexpensive interest in economical cars will be limited and interest in conspicuous consumption cars like Hummers will be high.

Conspicuous and extraordinarily useful if you need to haul or pull.  Once it no longer makes sense for car makers to make reasonably priced light-, medium- and heavy-duty haulers, many small business people and recreational tow vehicle people are going to be in a real difficult position.

The way I see it, the beauty of market freedom (and formerly cheap gas) is that people have options, the path we're on, not so much.  Cars will all more or less look the same, work the same, and we'll end up with fewer choices and less interesting (and less useful) vehicles.

a.s.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:55:17 PM by aschendel »

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
I think there is a real market for cars with 50+mpg if the oil companies will allow it, my guess is they won't cause these cars have been out there for awhile. The smart car made it because it's in the mid 40's. Protecting the oil companies investments is the priority in this country, why is the rest of the world diving cars that have been getting better gas milage than our for years?

that's bogus, it's the American consumer that isn't demanding them.  Diesels and small turbo'd engines are completely legal here, you and I could build them all we want if we can find enough buyers. 

When I was in Europe I rented a turbo diesel Peugeot and it was a hoot to drive and got great gas mileage.  Fat Americans still want their Camry's and Impalas though.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 06:52:17 PM »
Americans don't want to drive fuel efficient vehicles. They'd rather have large gas guzzling boats, it's kind of a status symbol. Small, cheap cars are seen as less manly, and make you look poor. Americans also must have vehicles capable of hauling 8 people, pulling a boat, and it has to have every option available just in case. Heaven forbid people would drive something fuel efficient and practical.
And hybrids, what a joke. The added expense and complexity to get the same mpg as a small diesel car. I recently learned that if you're in an accident in a hybrid, the operator of the jaws of life must be trained in hybrid cars. Seems that cutting through that 100 volt cable by accident can kill somebody. Ouch!
(I should talk though, I drive a Honda CR-V, which is a small feminine vehicle that only gets in the upper 20's for mileage  ;D)

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 07:15:53 PM »
I talk my two sons into buying Ford Fiesta. Lot of options and they are both getting 38 mpg.

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 07:41:08 PM »

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore