Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Crash, limited time viewing now  (Read 33053 times)

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
My Crash, limited time viewing now
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Produce

Feel free to pick it apart.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Re: My Crash, limited time viewing now
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:06:52 PM »
Viewed.
Since you ask for input, I'll start with some questions.
How many years have you been riding?
How many miles each year?
Ever previously owned another big heavy liter bike?
What road were you on?
Ever ridden that road before at that speed?
Ever ridden with the rider directly in front of you?
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
Viewed.
Since you ask for input, I'll start with some questions.
How many years have you been riding? 3
How many miles each year? 15k
Ever previously owned another big heavy liter bike? my other bike is vfr1200
What road were you on? arcadia ,95i think?
Ever ridden that road before at that speed? plenty of times
Ever ridden with the rider directly in front of you? Not THAT rider..... My biggest mistake...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:25:19 PM by Ultra_Magnus »

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
Wow, hard to watch the anti-freeze draining on the ground (like the bike's blood :( ).

First, I hope you are doing well with your healing.

I vaguely remember your other post.   Can you remind me what happened?  I hear your motor slowing before you hit the guard rail which confused me.

You seem to be saying that the rider in front of you somehow was part of the chain of events.   That too confuses me.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
That is 95.  Tough to say but it looks like you got on the brakes pretty good at 0:10 trying to check your speed so you didn't asspack the rider in front of you.  The front looks like it may have started to wash since you start to get a little wiggle in the bars.  Guessing that freaked you out sending you wide at which point you fixated on the guardrail.  It looks like you bailed before you hit the guardrail or maybe the front washed completely out when you got onto the shoulder.  What do you remember?

Offline supraman

• View Profile
    • Ben's Travel Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
It kind of looks like you weren't used to the rider in front of you, who slowed, or was carrying a slower speed then you expected, through the apex of the left hander. You then rolled off the throttle to avoid running up too close, drifted wide as bikes will do on trailing throttle and then eventually grabbed a handful of brake and mashed the guardrail. Close?

What's your recollection of the chain of events?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:57:18 PM by supraman »
It's not what you ride, but how you ride it that counts!

Offline Busa dave

• Faster for the Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »
Looks like that little white thing you hit skidded out the front tire....   Could have been a little farther from the guy in front of you.  Pray you healing well :)

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »
It kind of looks like you weren't used to the rider in front of you, who slowed, or was carrying a slower speed then you expected, through the apex of the left hander. You then rolled off the throttle to avoid running up too close, drifted wide as bikes will do on trailing throttle and then eventually grabbed a handful of brake and mashed the guardrail. Close?

What's your recollection of the chain of events?

I didnt get knocked out so i remember everything.

So the rider in front if me guns it and takes off. I follow at what i thought was a reasonable distance. I see the turn coming up so i start braking to set my entry speed.

The rider in front of me enters the turn and is still braking hard as im preparing to lean and hit the throttle . Im like wtf, why are you braking in the turn still (U can see his brake light is on the whole time)? So im trying to brake smooth as i can to avoid ass ending him, and keep the bike from standing up. Of course this is making me go a little wide. No problem. Then i hit the mcdonalds cup and lost my front wheel.

Game over.

As far as target fixation. I pretty positive i didnt fixated the guardrail at all, i thought i was gonna pull through no problem. It is possible i fixated the cup for a split second, but its hard to say. The moment i saw it (in the corner of my eye) i wiped.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:30:36 PM by Ultra_Magnus »

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »
Oh yea and im healed up good. I can walk around with a slight limp without a cane.

I had no injuries other than the broken femur. Thank god for full leathers :-P

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »
I've done it myself, it looks like you fixed and froze. When the brain locks up it's a tough one to get out of.
Push Harder

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:07:46 AM »
To be honest, you were following too close. At about 4 seconds there is a sign on the right showing the upcoming curve. I could barely count "one thousand one" from the point of where the rider ahead of you passed it to where you passed it. At the indicated speeds you were running, you were too close and ran out of room to maneuver. Also looked like you might have target fixated on something, not sure what because I couldn't see the angle of your head.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
This person is not a member of the MN-MSTA !--They crashed on a non MN-MSTA ride and have never actually participated in a MN-MSTA ride. He like others are a screen name only....What you see in this and other videos from people who also are not members of the MN-MSTA  does NOT reflect the riding style or beliefs of the vast majority of actual MN-MSTA members who do not ride this way.

Following distance.

Regardless if the guy in front of you can't ride for shit or to save his own life, you need to keep enough following distance, you clearly did not.
 With his brake light on all the way from the (Recommended turn speed sign)  to the end of the video--I guess one could wonder about his use of brakes-but still you need to ride the road and conditions.....not the rider in front of you.

Following Distance !! (There certainly were lots of things you could have and should have done prior to the crash, even in those last 2-3 seconds it was easily avoidable.... But for starters, RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE and FOLLOWING DISTANCE)

Given you guys had ridden together that day that far (Arcadia) already, you should have already been painfully aware of of that riders perpensity to go super fast in a straight line and posted + 10? in anything except WOT sweepers--IMO it was forseeable and predictable, Vince was on that ride and he even told his passenger to "get ready" (she is a nurse) long before that mishap.....on those types of rides where "bad" & "stupid" is nearly a given, it is best to avoid riding in those groups....

Looking at the slow decent of the indicated speed-it doesn't appear you were braking much until you were already running wide, if at all.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:17:11 PM by Chief of police »
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »
"Ever ridden with the rider directly in front of you? Not THAT rider..... My biggest mistake..."

While I see this as a mistake, it certainly was not the biggest one YOU made that day !
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline zaskar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
You should definately consider some further rider training.  To me it doesn't matter how long you've been riding or how many miles each season.  If all that time and miles were spent without the purpose of improving your skills (and I don't just mean "going faster") then they are worthless.  There are plenty of riders out there who've been riding for 30 years and have tens of thousands of miles, and they still suck at riding.  You don't get better just because you are out riding.

This crash should have never happened, I can't find a single reason you crashed other than lack of skills and judgement.  I wished we had footage from behind you to further examine what happened.  Video distorts things sometimes but your speed seemed low for this corner and to me it seemed like there was plenty of room to manage your speed/following distance/ and still make the corner.

This all sounds pretty harsh I'm sure but my intent is just to help you focus on the problem and avoid this from happening in the future.  Seeing these types of accidents is frustrating because they are so easily avoidable.  Honestly, if you couldn't negotiate this situation what will you do when a deer jumps out, or a car pulls out in front of you.  I don't see anything wrong with what the rider in front of you was doing, he was riding his own ride!

I'm glad you have healed and this wasn't worse.  Hope you get back to riding and become a better rider as a result of this experience.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
Because I was right there a PM sent.