Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's your favorite road of SW Wisconsin?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
What's your favorite road of SW Wisconsin?
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
There was the other thread about your favorite road anywhere, but with the ABC's of Wisconsin in close proximity for a ride for us in MN, what is your favorite road in this region?  It was tough for me to pick one because each road I like is typically just a few miles before switching to the next.

I narrowed it down to the heart of CR. DD heading north between 54 and D.  Scenic, twisty, and good road quality there.  I did not get to ride that section as many times as I would have liked, maybe 3 times, but I always remembered wishing I had time to turn around and run it again. 

I really need to get to Arkansas where roads like that are 80 miles long and all over. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
Re: What's your favorite road of SW Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:46 AM »
Canada Ridge Rd, Square Bluff Rd, River Rd, etc.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:50:28 AM by nOOky »

Offline Gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
There are really way too many to narrow down to just one, but Co. Rd. K is one of them for me, as well as Co. Rd. P.
Marc
'13 TEX 1200

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »
Pp and n (around durand) and j onto ss. Could ride in this area for days
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
Cty P is good when it is clean. Wildcat and the Cut. I like the Cut more. The hill on 95.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »
There are tooooooo many to list. That is why I try to incorporate as many of them as I can squeeze into a full days riding every weekend. It likely is also why my rides always seem to be 500+ miles and 10-12 hours long.

What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
All of the roads listed are in my top 5 list.  Except I don't think I've ridden K down by La Crosse like Marc listed. 

Can't ask for a better set of combo twisties than 95, but the guard rail and traffic subtracted points from it in my mind.  The cut is one of the best.  Wildcat is fun but sometimes spoiled a bit by traffic and water seeping off the hill onto the road.
- Matt from Richfield

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
I was tempted to make a thread like this for mn but then I realized we don't have very many good roads (in comparison to WI) :( lol
But if u wanna stay around the twin cities area, Jarvis in Anoka can be fun (short though) as well as a lot of roads near Hammond, red wing and wabasha.
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
25 leaving Minneiska was a hoot to fly up.  It's the start of the Tri-State boogie route. 
- Matt from Richfield

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
I don’t have a favorite per se, but I have several that are great for certain things.
Hwys 95 & 37 are fun at inappropriate speeds.  ::)
If they ever resurface HWY 88, that road will become one of the best locally.
The 2 mile stretch of CR SS with the S turns is fun as heck. Great surface condition, no gravel shoulder, excellent sight lines  and good run off if you were to lowside. (Albeit very short  :()

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 01:45:17 PM »
If I can only choose one road it would be the section of D that runs from
WI 95 to Whitehall. ;D

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
I like all the WI roads I get to ride.  I have favorites that are close by. SS is just one.  If the road isn't technically challenging then I enjoy the scenery or my music until I get to a fun bit.
I always remembered wishing I had time to turn around and run it again.   
Matt, that is one of the reasons I like to ride alone, I go where the whim takes me - try a new road, enjoy fresh pavement or ride a road multiple times (like a couple weeks ago when I rode 65 out of Star Prairie 3 times).   I like that flexibility and the ability to chill a bit while riding.   That's also what (regretably) keeps me from making long distances and sampling some of the excellent recommendations in this thread.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »
Two sections I always like to hit are Montana Ridge and Happy Valley. They somehow standout among the 100s of miles I'm familiar with down there.GJ ::)
john pierson

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
I've only had 3 months to ride and Vince has lead to many roads that were great but I don't know the names of them all  :(  I remember riding O and OO a couple times and really liked them and the cut was also very challenging and fun to ride!

2011 Honda CBR 250R