Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:22:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Like Father, Like Son  (Read 2845 times)

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
Like Father, Like Son
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »
This saddens me to no end.  Not for the obvious, but for the irony.

http://www.startribune.com/local/133336578.html

"The patrol's report said Byro is not suspected of alcohol use but wasn't wearing a helmet. David Byro, who also has a motorcycle, said he doesn't wear a helmet either. "The accident happened not for lack of a helmet," he said. "It happened because somebody did something wrong.""

I feel very sorry for the family of this vet, laying in the hospital with a brain injury.  But it seems lost on the father that had the son been wearing a helmet, he would probably be home today nursing just broken bones.  Yes, someone caused the accident, but the choice of no helmet winds up the bigger factor in the outcome.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Re: Like Father, Like Son
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »
This story made the 10 o'clock news on channel 4.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:22:35 PM »
Very sad. I hope they catch the driver.

OTOH, makes me think about the phrase "dead right"....

It is our fault when we know of risks and do nothing about avoiding or managing them.....

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:30:34 AM »
Tragic.  It is so easy to put on a helmet.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »
I'm guessing the person  had been drinking. He/she left the seen to sober up before dealing with authorities. Kinda like Joe Sensers wife did after killing the guy in St. Paul. Too bad no witness came forward, if there was one.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
Well sure, I've never spoke to a person who stayed at the scene of an accident who had no insurance, had no license or was drunk.  :)

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
Why did the article say the damage was to the back of the other vehicle and the rider had the right of way at a stop sign?  Are they saying the bike rear ended a vehicle at a stop sign?   Confused and sad that any family has to go through that.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
Why did the article say the damage was to the back of the other vehicle and the rider had the right of way at a stop sign?  Are they saying the bike rear ended a vehicle at a stop sign?   Confused and sad that any family has to go through that.

They said it happend on highway 5 just out of gaylord. Im guessing the guy pulled out in front of him here and the motorcyclist rear ended the suv.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 08:13:34 PM »
It is our fault when we know of risks and do nothing about avoiding or managing them.....

This sentence has been playing in my head for the last week.  I know the risks of riding a motorcycle during deer hunting season between sunset and sunrise, yet I do it anyway.

Brent

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
Yeah, but you are not oblivious to the danger.  I play the same game every fall, should I be out riding right now?  Two years ago, I was coming back from a ride into northern Wisconsin and wound up having to ride from Grantsburg to Bloomington in the dark.  Between Grantsburg and St. Croix Falls I had three close calls (one was within a foot) that made me slow my ride down to 45 mph, which lengthened my ride back home.  I questioned my sanity but decided that I just need to mitigate the risk as much as possible.  That means riding really slow and adding auxiliary lights so I have a few extra seconds to work with.  BTW, the few seconds from the auxiliary lighting might give you that 2 seconds you need to save your life (and maybe avoid having to duct tape flashlights to the handlebars, LOL.)