Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RUH-ROH  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Jared

• View Profile
RUH-ROH
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: RUH-ROH
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »
Wills rim repair or
Cliff Jacobs wheel repair

They both will require you to have the tire off the rim and ship it to them, but they both have "quick" turn around times and reasonable pricing-more importantly they both do fantastic jobs!
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
Locally you it might be worth swinging by http://www.precisionwheels.com/ in Minnetonka to see what they say. They did a Mini Cooper wheel for me earlier this year and said they had done some bike wheels.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »
Thanks Ray.  I didn't know there was anyone local who did wheels.  It would be nice to skip the shipping to and from Will's.  I'll stop by and let you know what I hear.

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »
if i can ask, what causes that ?? i see lots of rubber close by, related from a track day or something ?
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
What's the story?  I'm having a hard time making sense of the picture.  I know stuff like this can be hard to photograph, but what happened?  Did you hit a curb or something?  The shiny stuff looks like metal, which makes me think you should be looking for a new rim.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
Yeah, the shiny stuff is bare metal where bits of the rim are missing.  If you look at the second picture you can see a crack working it's way in from the lip in the bottom section.  It started out as rash on the rim from spring of LY.  I'm not a wheel expert, but guessing that the stress from BIR caused the area that was rashed and already stressed to flake or chip off.  I know it happened there because I cleaned the bike and rims up all purdy before I left and would have seen this, not to mention checking pressures a couple of times from that side of the bike while I was there.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »
Well, I'll be impressed if someone can fix that for less than the cost of a used wheel, but there's lot I don't know.  You didn't notice it until you got home, did you?  If I'd noticed a wheel on my bike looking like that, I'd have been too scared to ride on it.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »
 I have had both Wills and Cliffs repair worse rims than that and even with shipping both ways it has cost less than $120.00. I think you would be hard pressed to find a "used" wheel you could trust for that kind of money. I know anytime I have installed a used wheel for somebody I have insisted on installing new bearings-so there goes atleast $25.00 right there. You just don't know what you are getting from somebody off the internet....local or thousands of miles away. Call me a skeptic, reality is too many don't take of thier shit and if you are going to trust it and put your life in the hands of an unknown.....not me-
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »
Negative.  I didn't see it til Tuesday when I went out to unload the trailer.  I've got a bid in on a used replacement.  If they can fix it I'll have a spare, if not then I'll have the replacement and an XL paperweight for the garage...

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »
 HAve you gotten this fixed yet, and if so-------where is the update?....

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Haven't made it over yet.  Guessing it will be sometime toward the end of the month.