Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converting street bike to track bike  (Read 14988 times)

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
Converting street bike to track bike
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:59:46 PM »
I would like to do some more track days next season. I only have one bike. It's kind of a pain to have to convert it back and forth. Would it be worth it to get a cage instead of trying to swap race plastics? Ideas? Suggestions? 

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: Converting street bike to track bike
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:22:40 AM »
Cage will take away cornering clearance. Plus they may well not make one for your bike. And that doesn't guarantee that you wont wreck stuff anyways----I'd run the plastics you have and replace them IF you ever need to--keep an eye on egay or some of the national forums and pick up pieces here and there if you really feel strongly about having a second set laying around in wait.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »
Yeah that's kinda what I was worried about with a cage although since I'm so new at it I don't get too low yet. I like your idea of looking on ebay and I'll keep an eye out on the cbr250 forum too for spare parts.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »
your bike is still a pretty new model.  wait till end of 2012, then look on ebay.  there will be plenty of wadded up parts for you to choose from. 

if you are really worried, take off all plastics and ride it ugly and naked.  I also don't like the idea of a cage. 

you can be too careful and crash too. 

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:14:44 PM »
what about sliders to minimize the damage IF something happens.   I ride both my street bikes in street trim at DCTC and BIR and am willing to deal with the hassle of repair if I crash one (like I did at DCTC in '03).
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=active&site=&q=cb+250r+sliders&oq=cb+250r+sliders&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=3218l11671l0l12109l17l17l1l6l0l0l266l1721l2.4.4l10l0&biw=1280&bih=579&cad=cbv&sei=4sPXTs6lIsiM2gWW7_zdDg
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
^ that link says CBR250 but the picture and listing shows drill type for a cbr1000RR
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 02:41:12 PM »
Instead of picking up additional street plastics you might want to consider getting an extra front stay, harness and gauges (maybe ducts too?), then going with track trim.  I leave the upper and gauges mounted to the spare stay, then it's just two bolts and connecting the harness to swap them back and forth.  Mids and lower are quick for me too since I just need to unhook the turn signals. 

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
I'm sure you'll be fine with a set of sliders on that bike, it's a good investment either way incase you or someone else knocks your bike over, or for a low-side.

If my bike goes down and doesn't flip the sliders prevent the engine cases from being ground away and shift levers from being broken off.... so if they protect the plastic too that's just a plus.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 08:27:08 AM »
I used to be convinced that sliders help, but after seeing a few accidents with sliders (the ones that stick out) on the bike and how they catch on things and can flip the bike around, not sure of their value.

I think you're much better off getting the case guards that fasten right to the engine cases, I think they will protect them but not catch on things when the bike slides. Plastics can always be repaired or replaced, but if the bike ends up flipping, you've got lots more issues to deal with.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »
Some people put metal sliders on and that's idiotic, they will catch.  Delron sliders "shouldn't"
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 11:46:37 AM »
Some people put metal sliders on and that's idiotic, they will catch.  Delron sliders "shouldn't"

At the bottom of the page is a reason not to buy them.
http://www.motovationusa.com/index_MVdiff.htm

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »
When the bike is sliding in the grass and dirt it doesn't matter what the slider is made of, if its sticking out it will dig into the softer turf and that's when the bike flips. Also, in Vince's link, you need to make sure the bolts used to fasten the sliders are designed to bend. I've seen a bunch of cheap sliders snap off frame brackets that also happen to be the engine mounting brackets (FJR is a perfect example).

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 01:34:39 AM »
what's a case gaurd and how do they differ from frame sliders?

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 08:23:53 AM »
Case guards fasten right on your engine case, typically harder metal or plastic and designed to protect the engine case. Here's a link to a picture, will give you some idea. http://www.rg-racing.com/RGProducts/productgallery.aspx?page=1&sku=ECS0029BK

Also, R&G makes products for your 250R, I've had good luck with their products.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Honda/CBR250R/2011.aspx

Two places that sell R&G here in the USA are:

http://www.ema-usa.com/productgroups.htm?custom=1

http://www.twistedthrottle.com

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:28:55 AM by flyinlow »

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
Interesting.... that might be the way to go

2011 Honda CBR 250R