Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:11:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motorcycle license who needs one  (Read 2143 times)

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Motorcycle license who needs one
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »
Did you know that Jorge Lorenzo doesn't have a motorcycle license. He is going to school to take his test. Do you think he will pass. He might not pass the speed limit part of the test.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
Re: Motorcycle license who needs one
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
LOL.  Read about that on crash a week or two ago.  I got this picture of him riding around Spain on a scooter with a learner placard on it.  Pretty funny.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »
Freddie Spencer didn't have a motorcycle license until long after he was a AMA Superbike champion as I recollect. He may not have gotten his license until after he was a World champion. He failed the road test on his first try....

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
I can't believe guys like that don't get thier license. Before they were famous they had to learn somewhere somehow on some roads right? I always tell everyone that if I can take the class and pass the first time then anyone can do it!

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:18 PM »
The top guys started riding before they were 10 and were often racing at the top of the amateur levels before they were 15 with the only thing precluding them often from competing at the pro level were competition rules requiring racers to be older than they were.

By age 17, Spencer was 250cc U.S. National Road Racing Championship, and by age 19 he beat both Kenny Roberts (who was the reigning world champion) twice at the 1980 U.S. versus Britain Trans-Atlantic Match races. This was before he went to Europe to compete in the 250 and 500cc International Grand Prix championships. He became the youngest 500cc World Champion ever at age 22 in 1983.

Jorge Lorenzo began racing at the International Championship level in the 125cc class at age 15. He was barred from the first day of qualifying for his first race because he was too young. 4 years later he was the World 250cc champion.

At the level these people were competing at before they were old enough to drive they had little time to get a license to ride on the road and riding on the street was going to do nothing to improve their riding.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »
I would guess that less than 50% of pro riders at the Moto 2/3/GP level have turned a wheel on the street.  Pulling that number completely out of my ass but would be surprised if I was far off.

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
I guess that makes sense then that they don't have a license especially if they don't ride on the street. I know they are professionals and riding is thier career but still... I can't imagine not riding the street ever  :(

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline burn-z

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
Rossi doesn't have a mc license. He says it's too dangerous to ride a mc on the street.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »
Rossi doesn't have a mc license. He says it's too dangerous to ride a mc on the street.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if his and others' team contracts and endoresments prohibit street riding due to the risk.... similar to NFL players. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride