Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:53:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I know this is the wrong section, But what GPS is best??  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Taylorward5

• V-Twin All The Way!
    • View Profile
I know this is the wrong section, But what GPS is best??
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »
I been looking for a good GPS to mount on my bike and I really like the rides a lot of you have posted so I'm looking for a good GPS to be able to load them up and be able to keep track where I'm going. Thanks!!!

If there is a form already about this just point me in the right direction.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Re: I know this is the wrong section, But what GPS is best??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:53:19 AM »

8)

Just kidding. Someone will provide a serious answer shortly. Lots of GPS users here.  :)

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:56:12 AM »
what Bike and GPS do you have?
Chris
----------

Offline Taylorward5

• V-Twin All The Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:14:40 PM »
I dont have one. I ride an Aprilia tuono 2007, went out today for a 180 mile ride hudson to hager city and back up on the minnesota side. perfect day but a little gusty. would of been nice to have a gps mounted up

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:26:22 PM »
It depends on how much money you want to spend. Get one of the $700 Garmin Zumo models if you have nothing better to spend money on and like to read user manuals.

If you just want a good GPS that does everything (gps related) and is user friendly, I like the Garmin Nuvi 1490.  $130 last year.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:28:53 AM by carlson_mn »
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 07:32:27 PM »
Garmin 765T.  Best Buy sells them for $109.  Not weatherproof, but has everything a Zumo has at a fraction of the price.  I carry a baggie and rubberband for rain.

Offline Taylorward5

• V-Twin All The Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:09:38 PM »
Ok, what kind of mounts do you use? I dont want the damn thing falling off at 100MPH! haha

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:09:49 PM »
Or you can do what I do and just get an aqua box off eBay. Cost about 60 bucks and is a little ugly but allows you to just use a car gps on the bike (comes with ram mount for mounting).

"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »
Ok, what kind of mounts do you use? I dont want the damn thing falling off at 100MPH! haha

http://www.ram-mount.com/  that will get you started
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »
For the 765T, I use the stock mount it came with for a car.  I mounted the base on my tankbag, no issues.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
I use a RAM steam mount on my R1 with my iPHONE and a GPS application. works out nice I get tunes and take phone calls and have a GPS.
Chris
----------

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I dont have one. I ride an Aprilia tuono 2007, went out today for a 180 mile ride hudson to hager city and back up on the minnesota side. perfect day but a little gusty. would of been nice to have a gps mounted up
You're from Hudson, WI  gee If I would have know that I would have picked you up when I went through there today :D
Chris
----------

Offline Taylorward5

• V-Twin All The Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »
That's where we started, I live in Hopkins MN so only like a 30 min drive over there. The RAM mounts look like they work good, I really want to go with some guys on the WI side through some twisties. I have been down the normal roads but nothing out away from the river and lake Pepin. Looks like there are a few of you that know the roads really well over there. Gonna have to get out on some group rides with some of you. Thanks for the help on the GPS stuff.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
i just ordered a RAM setup to mount my Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT on my 2002 zx-6r, pretty excited to try it out.  i don't think the GPS does everything i'd really like but overall i do love it for what it is (and cost, not very expensive)...  it took me awhile to sort out a mount, i went with a non-standard setup, but i really wanted it way under my windshield and not attached to the handlebars, we'll see if what I got works out like i'm hoping.

a.s.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »
Answer depends on what features you want/need. Music while riding? Bluetooth? Waterproof? Proprietary route planning software? Exchange or download routes? Off road as well as on road?

By Matt's characterization, I'm in the have nothing better to spend money on, as I have the Zumo 660. For street use, it is the cat's meow. Pricey, but no need to workaround any shortcomings.

With respect to mounts, I've gone to tank bags with mounts for GPS units. I use a Cortech Dryver tank.

The ring mounted bag is waterproof, so there is no need to stop when it rains. If for example you feel the need to grab your valuables off your bike when you stop for lunch you just disconnect the power connect and dismount the bag and away you go. This setup also makes it easy to move my GPS unit from bike to bike, a requirement for some.