Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I know this is the wrong section, But what GPS is best??  (Read 6765 times)

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
Re: I know this is the wrong section, But what GPS is best??
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:03 AM »

By Matt's characterization, I'm in the have nothing better to spend money on, as I have the Zumo 660. For street use, it is the cat's meow. Pricey, but no need to workaround any shortcomings.

That is my way of saying "I wish I had more money leftover after other stuff."  ;)  The Zumos do it all. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »
Answer depends on what features you want/need. Music while riding? Bluetooth? Waterproof? Proprietary route planning software? Exchange or download routes? Off road as well as on road?

Don't forget SDRAM slot and external headphone jack.  The 765T has all these features.  The only thing I have to "work around" is the waterproof, have baggie, will travel.

I use the tankbag as the mount for the same reason as Ray.  I have my GPS and Sat radio mounts on the tankbag and a common power system in the tankbag.  It's a one step disconnect and I'm into the hotel room.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
I've been reading alot about the GPS crowd moving to smart phone usage.
The major appeal is the cost savings but you also don't have to worry about updating the maps.

Thoughts?

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
Personally I prefer gps over smart phone because it's easier for me to change routes while under way (have an iPhone and I can't use it unless I take my gloves off). In addition, using gps has no data limit (like most smart phones) and because gps's get a lot more "service" no to mention roaming fees and if you go out of the country.  If you just do Riding around town the phone would be fine but I'll take the gps any day :)
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
I've been reading alot about the GPS crowd moving to smart phone usage.
The major appeal is the cost savings but you also don't have to worry about updating the maps.

Thoughts?

Smartphones use capacitance touch screens which mean you either have to use a bare finger tip to operate them or have gloves with conductive material woven into the fingertips. All the motorcycle specific GPS and most car GPS units use physical action touchscreens, which make it possible to operate them with gloves on, or through clear vinyl. Motorcycle gloves with conductive materials woven in the fingertips are not widely available.

Smartphones are for the most part not waterproof. This coupled with their capacitance screens means, if you put them in a waterproof case, baggie or the map pocket of your tank bag you will not be able to operate the unit, so they are limited to use in fair weather.

Smartphones are generally not built robustly enough to handle the vibration and jarring of use on a bike so they require an isolating mount.

Smartphones are typically not very good at creating, sharing or downloading routes. The GPS functionality of them is focused at simply getting a user directions from one place to another, not getting them from one place to another over a specific set of roads.

Whereas most thieves could care less about stealing a GPS unit since they are now widely available for cheap, current generation Smartphones are frequently stolen. So if you're going to use one on your bike, you're going to need to make sure to be able to dismount it and take it with you to prevent theft.

Offline Taylorward5

• V-Twin All The Way!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »
I'm gonna have to come for some rides and see some of your set ups. There are a few that sound pretty good, Im just an "on the road guy" and looking to load some of your maps easily and just do a general point map so i can see where im at and my options if im playing it by ear that day.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
Let's see if this will work.  This is the tankbag setup for my ST1300.  One is with the normal operating config, the other is with a flap lifted up to reveal the CB.  There is an amplifier and noise suppression at the base of the bag.  There is a master volume control on the side of the bag so I don't need to fiddle with the volume for each component.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »
But Paul, where's the kitchen sink?  ;)

Just kiddin'. That is an impressive set up you have and your Honda certainly has the space for it. Great for your long days in the saddle.

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »
I have another bag for the VStrom, which was originally on the VFR.  This does not have the CB, noise suppression and has a smaller amp.  It has he same sat radio and GPS mounts on it's top.  You can actually use that tankbag to hold stuff.  :)

But yeah, the ST bag is meant for long distance entertainment.  I found no shortage of humor on the CB once you get on a major highway.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
This is the tankbag setup for my ST1300.

Whoa!  That's impressive.
So... you running hellfire or side-winder missiles?  ;D

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 11:41:09 PM »
I just got the RAM mounts for my '02 Ninja ZX-6R to hold my Garmin 1450LMT.  Still working out the best location to have it but I have used it enough to feel like I have some good options.  One thing that I'm most concerned about is leaving the mount on all the time.  I'd use my GPS all the time (I do in my car) but I don't want the mount stolen when it's parked at work (downtown St. Paul).  I'm thinking of ways to make it less easy for a thief to remove once I get it set right...

Now I need to find a baggie, rubber band, and retrofit a head-phone jack.  :/

a.s.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »
aschendel, how do you see your speed with that in the way?
Chris
----------

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »
aschendel, how do you see your speed with that in the way?

Since my GPS shows my exact speed I actually prefer not to see my speedo, which is "approximate".  But if I did want to, I also could mount it on any of the 4 mirror mounts and it's long enough to come out "over" that fairing support if I need / want to.  I just wanted it as close to my field of view as possible -- after running with a map (or very often a post-it note) on my tank for my entire career, i'm pretty excited to have my directions up in lights where i can see them easily.

I do wish I could see my trip meter, and it covers most of my left turn signal indicator, which could be embarassing, but for the moment anyways I'm excited to see how it works out.

Andy
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:38:12 PM by aschendel »

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 01:42:57 PM »
I took a few more pics of my setup today and typed up a little blurp for another forum, figured I could cross-post it here.  Sorry my stuff's so dirty, it sat in the rain yesterday...

I would like my power outlet not keyed is just an annoyance about how my GPS works, especially when powered from a USB adapter...  Like most (all?) GPS', it prompts to shut itself off when the power is removed.  At gas stops, etc, when powered by a USB adapter, even if I remember to keep it on, it redetects the USB and tries to go into computer-connected mode which is annoying since it takes awhile to get back to normal.  I think I could get a specific USB charging cable, and of course it doesn't do this when using the Garmin car adapter.  So when I'm using the Garmin cord I just have to remember to click "Stay On" or I have to wait for it to boot back up...  thankfully this unit starts up quickly so it's not a huge problem.  Here are some pics (if you get a Red-X, right-click and choose show picture, my image host can't handle too many connections at one time):

The location is my favorite part.  Aside from the fact that it blocks my trip meter (no gas gauge :( ), having a map right near my line of sight, where I'm used to looking, lit up in the dark, etc. is fantastic.  And I rode in the rain at DCTC with it (in a ziplock bag) and it didn't get even a drop of water on it.

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »
Aside from the fact that it blocks my trip meter (no gas gauge :( )

You could set one of your data squares on the screen for your Odometer and reset it when you fill up.
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S