Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Independent cruiser/Harley shop?  (Read 3091 times)

Offline spacemonkey

• View Profile
Independent cruiser/Harley shop?
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:31:36 PM »

This is a bit off topic for sportbikes, but does anyone know of an independent motorcycle shop that would be a good place to have lower bars put on my Sportster?  Most Harley franchise rates are quite high and I think the work would be fairly simple.  However, it would be beyond me as the clutch cable and front brake lines would need to be replaced. 

So I am looking for an independent motorcycle shop to get an estimate from.  Any places to share or recommendations?  Even if you have just seen one, let me know.  Thank you!

-Barron

2008 Suzuki V-Strom
2002 Harley Road King Classic
1976 BMW R75/6

Offline dl

• View Profile
Re: Independent cruiser/Harley shop?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »
Unless your going from high bars (apes), to say drag bars. A little extra length, or larger loop in the cables / hoses is fine, unless its a looks thing for you. But in that case, dont forget about your throttle cable or cables also. An independent shop may not be all that much cheaper as parts will probably cost more than the labor. Shorter clutch cable, throttle cable, brake hose, brake fluid to bleed the brakes, primary cover gasket and fluid to replace clutch cable. I would say 1-2 hours would be ample provided the bars aren't internally wired. That said, V-tech in Anoka is the only shop in the metro I have used. And that is only for dyno tuning, or head machining.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline spacemonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »

Thanks DL, no I am not going from apes, but the buckhorn bars have solid brakelines and the clutch cable is really long, so I think they will both need to be swapped.  I stopped at one place and they said about $600 for an estimate.  I asked a couple of years ago at a Harley shop and they said more than that.  That seems a bit high, doesn't it?

2008 Suzuki V-Strom
1976 BMW R75/6

Offline Busa dave

• Faster for the Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »
You should try Hi-Per Sports, 763-493-5620, 10550 Co. Rd. 81, suite 211 in Maple Grove.  I have been using Mike for a very long time.   He's good and works on all types of bikes. 

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »
I'd try Dr. Mudspringer 8465 Plaza Blvd. NE, Spring Lake Park, MN 55432, 763-785-2191 for this kind of work.

They specialize in accessories and accessory installation.

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »
Yes $600 does seam high, maybe they really didn't want the work and bid it high? I was assuming that you already had bars to put on, but maybe they added an extra 150-$200 for bars and grips in your quote. If you already had bars and grips I would think the ball park of $290-$300 would be more appropriate. You may want to ask how long for labor, and how much for parts when you get quotes. That might help rationalize their prices. Also, if your speedo/tach currently mount to your handle bar. But you want bars that don't allow that, the gauges will have to be remounted, and possibly wires extended. Again adding more labor, raising the quote price. I think these days, shops just bid it high so the customer doesn't freak out if it ends up costing more than the original quote.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline spacemonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:54:44 PM »

That was including the bars, I believe, but I just want simple low-rise bars similar to current stock sportster bars.

Thanks for the leads and for the advice, all!  Much appreciated!

2008 Suzuki V-Strom
1976 BMW R75/6