Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:34:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's It All About?  (Read 4384 times)

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
What's It All About?
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
So PKPK and I went on a hookey ride last Friday. He on the ST, and me on the WR250r. That wasn't the plan, but the VFR's battery was dead and it was the only other bike I had ready to roll  It was about a 500 miler, and by the end of the day I was bushed.  I was pinning it all day long, trying to keep up with Paul, who was entertaining me with his antics, and in spite of multiple gas stops and not having quite enough power coming out of the curves, I still came home with a big grin on my face. Street riding on knobbies is a hoot. Nothing like tossing it into a curve...thud thud thud thud thud...And all I want is MORE!  It was a great early season ride.

THAT is what riding is about to me. Pure joy.  If you're not having fun anymore then change what you're doing. Find a new group or a new partner or ride solo.  Take it to the track or take it to the dirt.  Mix it up. Heck, ride the wrong ride for the job sometimes.  And most of all, HAVE FUN out there! 

That is all.

~ d :-*

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Re: What's It All About?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »
Hear hear! Amen from the choir.....
it's about enjoying your time on your bike as you see fit. 
500 miles on a dirtbike, that's riding your own ride  :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:37:10 AM by Greg »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »
So how long do knobbys last on the street anyways. Lol.

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
Re: What's It All About? (Let's see some pics, peeps!!!)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:05:46 AM »
Well, Vince--knowing you, you probably already know the answer to that question.  :)

I did a lot of mixed surface riding on the DR650 over the last couple of years, and  the
power band on that bike is actually pretty decent for street riding.  You're not going to
be hitting triple digits, but you know the drill--there's great fun in riding a small bike hard.

I'd say I got 6-7000 miles of mixed surface riding in on my knobs, which is better
than I do on the R1, and a lot cheaper! 

BTW folks, this thread was intended to share the JOY of riding.  I'd love to hear some humorous
stories or memorable moments and see some pics.  Pretty please?    :-*

~ d

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »
The heart of the riding season can not come soon enough.

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
BTW folks, this thread was intended to share the JOY of riding.  I'd love to hear some humorous
stories or memorable moments and see some pics.  Pretty please?    :-*
~ d

Darcy and new forum members,
I thought I'd post up a link to a great trip that a few of us went on last summer to Copper Harbor, MI.  Those that went were Vince, Mike Duluth, DucMan (Jon), Joel and myself.  (we actually went again in September too)

We had a little bit of a wet start to the trip, but all in all we had a really great time.  Mike is from Duluth and that was our starting point.  Mike was our unofficial group leader/organizer and showed us some really great roads.   

If there are those that have never done this trip, it's very worthwhile and a beautiful area! 

enjoy!

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i218/DenyseB/Bikes/2011/Copper%20Harbor%20Michigan/
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline Powershouse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »
I ran into Vince and crew atop Brockway Mt up near Copper Harbor.  As I recall they were in full joyous celebration mode, but the guy in the blue car was imposing the joy limit.

Someone cue up Lucinda Williams growling out, "You took my joy and I want my joy back!"

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
Me gusto Copper Harbor:

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
1,000 pictures when did we ride. Lol!

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the pics D, we sure had a good time.
Push Harder

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 04:21:08 PM »
Any guesses on who owns the Harley on the right? (hint it wasnt me, I wasnt even born yet ha)

Here was another fun ride (swan ride 2011). I just remember talkin to a few people inside one of the liquor stores and using the barroom. After lounging around a little I went back outside only to see my group riding away (keep in mind I didn't have my Helmet or gloves on at this point). So me and Dave McLellan hurried our little butts as much as we could and some how missed the turn on the route sheet and long story short spanned it back to the next stop in Durand. After we got there and the other bikes showed up everyone just had to rub it in how good the roads were that they just took :(
Was a fun day nonetheless :)
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:30 PM »
Nice Copper Harbor pics, Denyse! Now THAT's what it's all about!  Looks like my kind of trip.
Even though you're all drowned rats it's obvious you had a good time.  And I'm glad to see I'm
not the only one that gets carried away with the camera.  :)

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:24 PM »
Jvs, that's a nice pair of Super Glides, must be about 1974 year bikes. I see the one on the right still had its factory 2 into 1 exhaust, quite rare these days.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »
I'll give you guys a clue. He may or may not ride that orange 08 busa in the picture below ha.
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"