Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rain Riding Gear Recommendations?  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
Rain Riding Gear Recommendations?
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »
My imagined scenario: Half-way out on a three hundred mile loop, it starts to rain. Priority one, get back to base camp safe and sound (does anyone here honestly ENJOY riding in the rain? Different strokes for different folks, and in my short stay here so far, some of y'all are definitely different! :)). Priority two, keep my riding gear dry, so tomorrow when the sun is shining again, boots, pants, jacket, gloves aren't water logged.
Budget considerations are a factor.
A) Rain suit recommendations/experience? One piece? Two piece? $20 disposable? $150+ breathable? Anything in-between?
B) My boots are vented, does anyone carry/use boot covers?
C) What to do about gloves?
Anything else I'm not considering, which has the potential to detract from the fun factor?
It could probably be an entire separate post, but...what is your preference for carrying gear:
a) Back Pack (I have used mine on some shorter rides, and it seems OK, but may cause add'l fatigue on looong rides?)?
b) Tank Bag (I got one with bike, haven't mounted it yet, just seems like it would be too restrictive to moving around)?
c) Tail Bag (soft/passenger seat)?
Saddle bags not an option at this point, unless someone has some Aprilia OE Falco softbags and brackets stashed in the attic they want gone for oh...say...$50...ok...$75 :).
Thanks!
+P / Wade
Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Riding Gear Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:12:11 PM »
 I have waterproof boots

I use a tank bag, far less restrictive than a backpack for sure.
 I have a tailbag as well, but rarely use it. The on and off the bike is a bit of an exercise

If the likelyhood is high of rain I carry a 2 pc rainsuit in my tankbag along with a pair of "water resistant" gloves...50/50 I don't consider high and leave the raingear at home. I get wet often enough...the upside my jacket,pants and boots get super clean of bug guts...of course since jacket/pants are all leather, it takes a long time to dry.

My rain gear is so old, 1/3 the membership was not born yet when I purchased it...So no help to you on how much you really have to pay for good gear that lasts a lifetime today...I believe it was around $65 back then. The gloves (held) were around $100, current boots: SIDI Strada rains, were under $200 3 years ago

Many members use gear that is breathable and waterresitant for all their rides....I believe there are already a few threads on the subject---surely they will chime in
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »
Us lazy guys get an Aerostich or First Gear and don't bother with rain gear.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »
I have rain touring boots. I use rubbers gloves to go over my ridding gloves.
Buy the best rain suit you can it is worth it. You will stay dry and warm. The wind will not distroy it and it will last a very long time. I use a two piece suit. Not all the time do you need to wear the pants.
The bike goes nowhere without a tank bag. I have a tail pack but when the road get rough things move around. I only use it when I need to bring more. Tank bags don't get in the way. I would go with soft saddle bags and buy a set to go with the tail bag so that everything works together.

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »
I use my military issued goretex or rain gear. Cost? An 8 yr contract to be government property. Don't buy cheap.crap that won't last. I've been on long rides where I was soaking wet and its cold and uncomfortable.

I also  use a tank bag almost everywhere I go. It's far more easy access getting myself on/off the bike and I can access the tank bag without even getting off the bike if I need to. I carry a backpack to work but otherwise try to limit it. It's more restrictive and makes my back and neck get sore. Mount your tank bag on, IMO they are wonderful to have for street riding.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
The two piece rain suit is the only way to go, you can wear the pants like when it is just done raining and there is still rain spray on the road, gloves and boot covers are a must if you're feet and hands get wet you start to get cold fast and it sucks, you can ride in the rain and its not a big deal but you need gear.

Here is what I have used, last year I put about 2000 miles on this rain gear, it worked very good.
TourMaster Boot Covers 23.99 <-- worth every penny
Tourmaster PVC 2 Piece Rain Suit Black 28.99 <-- not mine but very close
Joe Rocket Ballistic 6.0 Water Proof Gloves 54.99 <-- Some armor for protection and they keep your hands nice and dry and warm.

Tank Bag & Tail Bag are the only way to go
Icon Urban Tank Bag 95.00
MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Tail Bag 69.99
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:50:05 PM by Chris »
Chris
----------

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »
Us lazy guys get an Aerostich or First Gear and don't bother with rain gear.

Yup....bought my Stich in 2010 & it was the best $1k I spent on riding gear.

I just need to wear it more!!  LOL
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »
I currently have an Aerostich one piece and also a two piece set up and waterproof boots and gloves. I also have two piece perforated leathers and solid two piece leathers. If I could only have one set of riding gear, it would an Aerostich one piece or two piece set up.

I still have a two piece rainsuit, boot rubbers and waterproof over gloves laying around, but this stuff sucks in comparison to having riding garments that are waterproof to begin with.

I've got a number of tank bags, tail bags and saddlebags. Any reasonable sized bag doesn't interfere at all with riding, except maybe when the bars are at full lock.

My personal takeaway after several decades of riding with different gear. Buy quality stuff to begin with. It is cheaper in the long run and having gear come apart of fail to be waterproof when you most need them sucks big time. It causes misery that will outlast the glow from any savings you get from buying cheaper stuff for decades.

Offline wtjbatman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
I got caught in the rain when those afternoon/evening thunderstorms were rolling through the cities last Thursday. The entire way on 494 from 169 to 52 it was pouring. I ended up soaked from the waist down, and almost dry from the waist up. The good: No problems with fogging or anything thanks to the helmet vents. My scorpion jacket was great, almost nothing got through. Waterproof boots worked great (sort of). The bad: Gloves got soaked, but who cares, hands dry easily. It's the rest that sucked. I was wearing regular cargo pants so they got soaked through pretty much instantly. And while my boots were waterproof, there was so much water pouring down from my pants and down my legs that the boots filled up with water from the inside.

If I had just had waterproof pants, the only thing I could even have complained about was having wet hands.

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »
Thanks all for replys, recos and "avoids". Your experience has inspired me to shop for some waterproof gloves, boot covers, or maybe even a deal on some waterproof boots, a 2-piece oversuit as good as the budget allows, move Aerostitch from the "could" list to the "should" list, and give the tankbag a whirl.
Much Appreciated,
+P / Wade
Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
I have a medium-duty 2 piece suit from Bob's cycle, probably $65 a few years ago.  I keep expecting it to get a hole and have to find something else but it keeps unfolding fine when I need it.  I carry it nearly 100% of the time, it lives in the bottom of my backpack all summer.  I'd like to see aerostitch's glove and boot covers, both on me get wet a little, heated grips keep my hands bearable and actually my bike has decent weather protection down low so my feet don't get soaked too often.

I have a backpack (as you can see in my avatar), also old and also from Bob's and love it.  It fits great and keeps everything in place.  When really pulling long days I keep it pretty light, like just the rain suit and a granola bar / gatorade (you know, in case you fall and can't get back to your bike :P ).  In addition I have a top-box/trunk setup from JC Whitney and a tank bag (with a nice flat large window for 8 1/2 x 11 route sheets / maps) that I'll use often as needed.  My backpack is starting to wear out though, hope to find another great one like this has been.

a.s.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
I use gaiters and bibs... the rest can get wet.

I also prefer tail bags.  Not a fan of fussing with a tankbag whenever it's fueling time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:49:15 AM by Vander »

Offline 2whl-hoop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »
Budget considerations noted,  but I also have an Aerostich 2-piece. The Roadcrafter pants can get pretty warm, but are great in cooler weather. I bought a pair of the Darien light pants last summer for warm weather use primarily as rain pants. The 'stichs are great when you can afford them. It's worth a trip to the store in Duluth too, to try it on for proper sizing (plus the discount they offer at the store).

I use some Klim water proof gloves in cooler weather, but I haven't found a really good warm weather rain glove yet. I'm pretty picky about how my gloves fit, I hate a really bulky feel around the fingers. I might just try some Aerostich rain covers for my regular gloves...

I use Sidi water proof boots. They work. If you hunt around, sometimes you can find nice boots marked at clearance prices, but you need to go the dealers that stock the boots and look for them.     

I also like tank bags because they can be used as map holders, and they are also in my field of vision so I tell if they aren't secured properly. With a tail bag I'd always be reaching back to feel if the bag is in place. 

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
A-Stars waterproof boots and gloves, they have never leaked!
Aerostich pants and jacket with their neck wrap to stop the water running down my neck.  The biggest hassle is getting the gloves under the jacket sleeves.  In past years I toured with a 2 piece perf leather suit and took a 2 piece Tour Master rain suit.  I have tried touring with vented boots and waterproof seal socks, but my feet never feel dry.   I have had better luck putting large plastic bags over my socks if I know it is going to rain and I don't have waterproof socks.  Putting a pair of nitrile gloves under your wet gloves makes it a bit more tollerable.   
I bought the most amazing rain suit a couple years ago, a lined one piece Triumph, and would love to wear it, but it is not as quick to get on as a unlined 2 piece, so it has sat unused in my closet and needs to go off to ebay soon.
I actually like riding in the rain as long as I am suited up.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
I actually like riding in the rain too. NOT!