Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:18:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I like it when this happens  (Read 3033 times)

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
I like it when this happens
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:37 PM »
27k miles and all 16 were right in the middle of spec.  Sometimes the bikes are nice to you.

Nice Sunday project done.

- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline dl

• View Profile
Re: I like it when this happens
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
I just did mine this spring. A few were just out of spec, and a couple others were on the tight side. Fortunately for me, they are the large diameter shims, and I have a surface grinder at work. So I just shave them down at work to what ever I need/want within .0005. Sure beats running around town trackin down shims.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:27:08 PM »
FYI, I have both 7.48 and 9.48 complete shim stock if anyone needs a specific size in a pinch.  My family got wind of me running out to Lloyd's place to swap and borrow, and bought me both sets for Xmas. 

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »
FYI, I have both 7.48 and 9.48 complete shim stock if anyone needs a specific size in a pinch.  My family got wind of me running out to Lloyd's place to swap and borrow, and bought me both sets for Xmas. 

Very cool for the offer.  My last FJR I had to adjust 9 valves surprisingly at its first check at 36k miles, and it sure would be nice to know someone with a kit.  I have a feeling this bike is not going to change, but we'll see.  Easy job to do so I'll do it in another 26k miles or so like they say, good time to change the coolant then too. 
- Matt from Richfield

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
A machinist friend once told me that Hondas are usually stable right from manufacturing, Yamaha and Suzuki usually needs changing on it first valve check, then are stable thereafter.  He also added that some models, like the GSXR and some Triumphs can change constantly during their life but I would imagine that has more to do with the rider. 

Offline 2whl-hoop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »
Nice work. I would've gotten to about to this point in the teardown and said feck it, they look good from here...

Nice Sunday project done.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »
lol ... it looked a lot uglier before I removed the Air induction smog stuff and put those pretty caps on.
- Matt from Richfield

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
I have a surface grinder at work. So I just shave them down at work to what ever I need/want within .0005.
I am not an expert on this my dad has past on so I can't ask any more. But doing this, is it a good idea. Isn't there layers of hardness to the shim and by grinding you would have removed it. And now you will wear through the glazing and then start to wear the cam down.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »
I've heard the same as Vince.  But I know people do it.  Sounds like a lot of work to me. 

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »
Vince, I wondered about that too, and even the finish on the shim from grinding, accelerating wear on the cam. The motor in the bike is a replacement one that had 14,500 miles on it when I installed it fall 2010. I did a valve adjustment at that time (ground shims at work), and at this years adjustment, all the clearances had tightened up. Not sayin it cant, or wont wear the cam, it just dosnt appear that that is the case so far. It would appear that these are hardened all the way thru, and not just a hard coating.
As for alot of work, if I have to dust off all 12 shims, which is not usually the case, takes about an hour. I just come in early or stay late. Seams better than tryin to track them down in town, or even wait a week to order them.
'99 Sprint ST