Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:22:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What make a ride more attractive for new riders  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
What make a ride more attractive for new riders
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:43 PM »
OK, I have seen it said that most MN-MSTA rides are not for new rides. So what would make a ride more attractive or inviting for new rides?
Chris
----------

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: What make a ride more attractive for new riders
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »
Slower pace
Shorter distance
Closer to "home" starting locations
More stops?
More discussion? (socializing or ride/riding skills related...depends on the people)

Everyone is different though
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
Well...."back in the day", there was a ride that was sort of a contest where you had to count church steeples (I forgot what the "winner" would get but it was fun.)  There was a ride to the highest point in central Minnesota where we would.....fly kites.

These were not really designed for newbies, just designed for making a fun ride for riders.  Because they still were long distance (300+ miles), they were not really targeted for brand new riders.  Which requires some definition between "new riders" and "newbies to the club scene". 

Before you pigeonhole on the sort of rider who would attend this sort of ride, there were still fast riders like Harrel would would always attend.  They had the choice of riding fast and missing the steeples.

Since I've been soundly called on the carpet for not participating enough to hold rides (beyond the one that needs heated gear), I am going to work on a theme ride that doesn't require electrics or total concentration.  However it's still going to have plenty of miles, so it may not be suitable for riders on training wheels. 

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
OK, I have seen it said that most MN-MSTA rides are not for new rides. So what would make a ride more attractive or inviting for new rides?
Since I started riding my own bike last season there is ONE main thing I look for in a riding partner... a good, helpful, positive attitude.  There's nothing worse than following someone who gets annoyed if they have to wait and criticizes but gives no suggestions.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Smaller groups are nice for newer riders too. Less to cater too and allows for more positive input from other riders and is simply easier to handle an wont overwhelm the rider.
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »
Well...."back in the day", there was a ride that was sort of a contest where you had to count church steeples (I forgot what the "winner" would get but it was fun.)  There was a ride to the highest point in central Minnesota where we would.....fly kites.

These were not really designed for newbies, just designed for making a fun ride for riders.  Because they still were long distance (300+ miles), they were not really targeted for brand new riders.  Which requires some definition between "new riders" and "newbies to the club scene". 

Before you pigeonhole on the sort of rider who would attend this sort of ride, there were still fast riders like Harrel would would always attend.  They had the choice of riding fast and missing the steeples.

Since I've been soundly called on the carpet for not participating enough to hold rides (beyond the one that needs heated gear), I am going to work on a theme ride that doesn't require electrics or total concentration.  However it's still going to have plenty of miles, so it may not be suitable for riders on training wheels. 

That's great Paul. Let me know what date you're thinking so I can make sure to line up some support for the ride. It may also make sense for us to create a shorter route for this ride for new riders if it makes sense. I wouldn't have a problem creating the route and maybe running a group of new riders if it made sense.

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:41:52 PM »
The ice cream rides were good for newer riders as well. Short distances with ice cream interludes and socializing are much easier than riding the twisties all day. Not great routes usually, but hey--there's ice cream.  ;D  Perhaps whoever plans the ride should be treated by those in attendance.

The sanctioned MSTA rides are also better than most for newer riders. There is a broad range of riding styles, and usually some folks taking it relatively easy.  If the groups are large they are typically split into smaller groups, and a newer rider can ride at the rear or with a slower group for a more mellow pace. 

The early and late season rides such as the Rivers Ride and the Frosty Pumpkin tend to have more mellow paces due to road conditions. They also tend to have less riders because only the diehards go out when the weather is less than stellar.

The best advice I have for a new rider would be to get out there and ride.  Get some seat time under your belt.  Find a mentor. Ask a friend to work with you on your skills or organize a smaller slower paced ride you can attend comfortably. Take a class. Do whatever works best for your learning style.  No one can improve your riding skills but YOU.  No one is responsible for your riding "happiness" but YOU.

At times the tone of this board may seem judgmental or unwelcoming. Remember the frustration is mostly directed at folks that are riding UNSAFELY.  Don't ride over your head. People would much rather wait for you than have to pick you up off the side of the road because you rode over your head to try to keep up.  If you're on a ride and are uncomfortable or just not "feeling it"  then let someone know and ditch.  We all have off days and it's good to recognize when your head is just not in the game.

Don't show up for a ride and expect anyone to modify their pace or their day to take care of your needs.  Keep in mind that most people going on a ride are doing so for their own relaxation and entertainment.  If you need someone to have your back or wait at the turns, then make sure you've made your own arrangements ahead of time. That's what friends are for.  And don't forget to buy them lunch or fill their tank now and again.

That is all.

~ d