Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Google Maps  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
Google Maps
« on: April 28, 2012, 03:35:16 AM »
Does anyone know of a way to include the turn-by-turn directions when exporting a Google route to a kml file?

Background:  Working on an ios application that will display the route on the "Maps" UI and in addition want to be able to display the driving directions, but it appears that the exported Google kml does not include directions.

PM me if you would like to collaborate.  Nothing commercial, merely an academic exercise on my part.

gely

Re: Google Maps
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »
I'm interested, but don't know ios. I'm a software engineer, but always on windows or embedded.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »
The iOS SDK is only available on OS X.  If you have a C/C++ background, then Objective-C is pretty easy to pick up.  Some very good iOS lectures from Stanford at iTunes U.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:36:50 AM »
Ok finally figured out how to get turn-by-turn directions from a Google map into a KML file.  It is a bit convoluted, but very doable.  Turns out that "My Maps" exported KML files only contain waypoints and not directions, but creating a route from the "Get Directions" page and using GPSVisulizer.com to convert the Google map "link" to a KML file, directions are included.

So here is my indie iOS app that will display the turn-by-turn directions and also the route.  The app needs some tidying up, but the basic functionality is there.  Next step is to add "current location" tracking to the map.

Anyone interested in beta testing the app PM me.  Would love some feedback on function/features.

First screen lists all the KML files that have been uploaded to the device via iTunes sync

Turn-by-turn directions for the selected route

The route overlayed on the map
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:42:52 AM by Tim... »

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
neat Tim!
Chris
----------

Duc Man

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
cool..i'm an apple guy..i'b be interested in trying this

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:27:38 PM »
That looks very cool.   However, my personal experience of carrying my iPhone in the window of my tank bag is that it gets overheated by the direct sunlight and then shuts down to protect itself.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »
That looks very cool.   However, my personal experience of carrying my iPhone in the window of my tank bag is that it gets overheated by the direct sunlight and then shuts down to protect itself.

I use a RAM mount for mine it works great
Chris
----------