Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crashes Reported in the Media  (Read 155995 times)

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Crashes Reported in the Media
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »
Does anyone know what a "Yamaha Racer" is?  (Guessing the bike was painted and all decals removed.)

<snippage happened>

Vehicle 1:
       2012   YAMAHA RACER 

<more snippage>

I wonder if someone told the guy who wrote the report that the bike was a Yamaha Raider and he thought they said Racer.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »
All available information for
incident number 12505523.

Incident Number:    12505523    Incident Date/Time:    6/9/2012 4:17:00 PM
    MSP District:    2500    Incident Contact:    MSP PIO LT. ERIC ROESKE 651.201.7146
    Number of Individuals:    1       
    Number of Vehicles:    1    

Milepost:    NONE RECORDED    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    SCOTT    Number of Lanes:    2
    Crash Type:    RAN OFF ROAD    Divided/Undivided:    UNDIVIDED ROADWAY
    Incident Classification:    SERIOUS INJURY    Hazardous Material:    NOT PRESENT

Assisting Agencies:

SCOTT COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE

Person 1:    STRONG, LUCIAN S , 61 , OF PLYMOUTH MN , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING

Vehicle 1:
       2006   HARLEY DAVIDSON MODEL UNKNOWN 

IncidentDescription:    DRIVER LOST CONTROL AND LAID BIKE DOWN AND ENDED UP IN THE DITCH.

Information Complete:    INFORMATION BELIEVED COMPLETE   
    Last Updated:    6/9/2012 5:23:43 PM

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »
Another fatal.

incident number 12505519.

Incident Number:    12505519    Incident Date/Time:    6/9/2012 12:23:00 PM
    MSP District:    2500    Incident Contact:    MN STATE PATROL DISTRICT 2500 - (763) 591-4680
    Number of Individuals:    1       

Milepost:    NONE RECORDED    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    HENNEPIN    Number of Lanes:    5
    Crash Type:    ROLLOVER    Divided/Undivided:    DIVIDED ROADWAY
    Incident Classification:    FATAL    Hazardous Material:    NOT PRESENT

Assisting Agencies:

Person 1:    MILLER, JEFFREY H , 53 , OF BROOKLYN CENTER MN , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : DECEASED

Vehicle 1:
       2011   TRIUMPH STREET BIKE 

IncidentDescription:    MOTORCYCLE LOST CONTROL AND ROLLED.

Last Updated:    6/9/2012 3:31:00 PM

Individual Records

Listed below are the individual records that match the criteria you specified.
    *Estimated age used only when true age is unknown.
    Case Number:    12505519    Seatbelt:    N/A
    Incident Date/Time:    6/9/2012 12:23:00 PM    Airbag:    N/A
    Info Released:    6/9/2012 3:00:00 PM    Helmet:    YES

Person ID:    12505519V1P1    Age:    53
    Full Name:    MILLER, JEFFREY H    Estimated Age:    ACTUAL AGE ABOVE
    Associated Vehicle:    12505519V1    Alcohol in System:    UNKNOWN
    Role in Crash:    DRIVER    Hospital:    HCMC , MINNEAPOLIS 
    Residence:    BROOKLYN CENTER , MN , US    Physical Condition:    DECEASED 
    Sex:    MALE       
    Relation to Driver:    SELF    Fatal Date:    6/9/2012 12:23:00 PM

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2012, 08:42:15 AM »
incident number 12102430.

Incident Number:    12102430    Incident Date/Time:    6/9/2012 9:20:00 PM
    MSP District:    2100    Incident Contact:    MN STATE PATROL DISTRICT 2100 - (507) 285-7406
    Number of Individuals:    2       

Location:    HWY 43, 1 1/2 N OF RUSHFORD    Road Type:    BLACK TOP
    Milepost:    25    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    FILLMORE    Number of Lanes:    2
    Crash Type:    NONE RECORDED    Divided/Undivided:    UNDIVIDED ROADWAY
    Incident Classification:    PERSONAL INJURY    Hazardous Material:    NOT PRESENT

Assisting Agencies:

RUSHFORD POLICE DEPARTMENT

Person 1:    RUTGERS, DENNIS J , 47 , OF RUSHFORD MN , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : NOT DOCUMENTED
     Person 2:    RUTGERS, THERESA A , 47 , OF RUSHFORD MN , PASSENGER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING

Vehicle 1:
       2006   HARLEY DAVIDSON MODEL UNKNOWN 

IncidentDescription:    VEHICLE #1 WAS SOUTH BOUND ON HWY 43 WHEN IT STRUCK A DEER. RUSHFORD FIRE DEPARTMENT AND MEDLINK AMBULANCE RESPONDED.

Last Updated:    6/9/2012 11:35:57 PM

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »
http://www.piercecountyherald.com/event/article/id/45970/

Weekend marred by motorcyle fatality, apparent drowning
Pierce County authorities reported early Sunday that a 72-year-old man died Saturday evening in the Town of Oak Grove after his motorcycle crashed in a ditch off Hwy. 35 near CTH E. Meanwhile, deputies continue to search the waters of Lake Pepin near Bay City for the body of a 38-year-old man who is believed to have drowned early Saturday evening.

Pierce County authorities reported early Sunday that a 72-year-old man died Saturday evening in the town of Oak Grove after his motorcycle crashed in a ditch off Hwy. 35 near CTH E. Meanwhile, deputies continue to search the waters of the Mississippi River near Bay City for the body of a 38-year-old man who is believed to have drowned early Saturday evening.

The names of both men are being withheld, pending notification of family members.

At 8:57 p.m., Saturday, Pierce County was advised of a single motorcycle accident near CTH E.

Prescott ambulance and fire personnel, along with a medical helicopter were summoned but upon the first unit's arrival at the scene, it was apparent the man was dead. The helicopter was subsequently cancelled.

Anyone who may have witnessed the accident is asked to contact investigator Wade Strain at 715-273-5051 to share any information.

More information will be posted when it becomes available.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/viroqua-man-killed-in-motorcycle-crash/article_42be87a8-b3c9-11e1-9db7-0019bb2963f4.html

Viroqua man killed in motorcycle crash

11 hours ago  •  By Tribune staff

A Viroqua man died Sunday when he crashed his motorcycle on a Vernon County road.

Cody Steven George, 21, was southbound on Hwy. 131 north of Readstown a little after 3:30 a.m. when he lost control of the bike on a curve and went into a ditch, according to the Vernon County Sheriff’s Department.

George, who was not wearing a helmet, was pronounced dead at the scene. He is the county’s fifth crash fatality of 2012, according to the sheriff’s department.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
http://www.austindailyherald.com/2012/06/05/one-hospitalized-after-harley-crash/

One hospitalized after Harley crash

A Monday evening motorcycle crash left one Austin woman in St. Marys Hospital with numerous injuries.

The Mayo 1 helicopter took Sandra Mae Northern Mallan, 50, to the hospital after she crashed her Harley Davidson on a gravel road near Grand Meadow. The Grand Meadow Fire Department and Ambulance, county deputies and Mayo 1 all responded to the scene, which happened when Northern Mallan was traveling on County Road 13, which turns into a gravel road. When Northern Mallan hit the gravel, she reportedly lost control. Her husband, who was on a separate bike, did not crash.

According to Sheriff Terese Amazi, Northern Mallan was not speeding, and no citations will be issued. However, Mallan sustained a large bump on one of her eyes, was knocked out, lost several teeth and fractured her left arm. She was not wearing a helmet, Amazi added.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2012, 10:13:10 PM »
Sorry but I have to ask what the point of this thread is.... unless you want to mourn someone specifically it's a little messed up to keep posting police reports with FATALITY stamped all over them.... I'm sick to my stomach.

- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2012, 10:17:45 PM »
one could argue, just don't read the thread.

....but I do also see your point Matt. Paul, what are you trying to achieve?

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »
True, not saying to stop your thread, sorry.  Just commenting on the train wreck.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »
Not trying to "acheive" anything in particular Greg.  But it has created some pretty interesting discussions (recapped tires, huge corporate sponsored group rides) and spawned at least one thread (helmets), among many other point discussions.  The last one posted was about a woman who crashed when the road turned to gravel.  Always thought it was possible for that to happen and now this is the first time I heard of it.

There is also some learning on how media reports accidents.  The Lacrosse Tribune always reports when a rider is wearing full gear, I have yet to see any Minnesota media provide the same.

BTW, I started the thread, but I do not own the thread.  You can contribute anything you want to the thread, provided it's relevant to any particular discussion.

Let me turn the question around a bit and ask you what you find discomforting about the thread?  If the thread went away tomorrow, don't you think you've lost an opportunity for the civil discussions we so wanted not four months ago?  Would you rather go back to riders ragging on each other about group ride dynamics?  I think this thread has some built in checks and balances out of respect to the content. 

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »
There is also some learning on how media reports accidents.  The Lacrosse Tribune always reports when a rider is wearing full gear, I have yet to see any Minnesota media provide the same.

What's "full gear"?  Do I need leather pants, or are textile pants OK?  How thick do they have to be?  Do chaps count?  How about denim?  I've seen nearly new rigid Levis give almost no protection in a 5 mph drop.

Is a heavy shirt good enough, or do I need a jacket?  How about a windbreaker?  What if my shoes just barely cover my ankle? 

Rhetorical questions, but I'm trying to make the point that "full gear" is vague.  All it really means to me is that the person probably wasn't in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops, and wearing a baseball cap backwards.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 12, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »
Rhetorical questions, but I'm trying to make the point that "full gear" is vague.  All it really means to me is that the person probably wasn't in shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops, and wearing a baseball cap backwards.

Well email the writer and ask.  He/she uses the words, "riding gear", which I assume would mean anything leather or ballistic textile covering he majority of the body.  Why assume a writer would refer to denim as riding gear, when they make a point of using those words as a description?

For that matter, the description is most likely derived from the police reports so there must be some standards applied to use the description in state or local enforcement.  Feel free to research the meaning for us.  :)

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
For that matter, the description is most likely derived from the police reports so there must be some standards applied to use the description in state or local enforcement.  Feel free to research the meaning for us.  :)

Words always mean whatever the writer want them to mean.  Different writers, different meanings.  Which is why communication can be difficult.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
On the subject of tire re-caps again.  Last weekend I took a photo tag ride that had me blast up I94 for a bit so I got to observe a huge number of examples of tire destruction leftovers.  I recall someone (Brent?) stating that a retread wouldn't/shouldn't ordinarily pose an issue (unless it maybe got wrapped under the fender.  I saw two examples of full 360 degree tread caps of ~10 inches wide laying on their side.  No way would I want to hit something like that at speed on any bike.  Thankfully they were the exception out of all the tire debris.