Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crashes Reported in the Media  (Read 156015 times)

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
Re: Crashes Reported in the Media
« Reply #495 on: July 29, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
Thanks for the information on Highway 52.  Everything you point out makes sense, but I had not appreciated there were this many accidents.

I try to avoid 52 as much as possible however it's a compelling route back to the cities from riding SE MN.  Unfortunately everyone else is coming back to the cities late Sunday and the highway turns into a freight train of vehicles going high speed.  Impatient drivers trying to cross will see a motorcycle as sort of a gap in the traffic stream and launch right in front of me.  Sadly it's only going to get worse when the Bio-sciences development in Pine Island start cranking and Rochester (along with the state) starts pumping $$$ into the Rochester infrastructure.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 31, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »
All available information for
incident number 13311077.

Incident Number:    13311077    Incident Date/Time:    7/31/2013 10:37:00 AM
    MSP District:    3100    Incident Contact:    MN STATE PATROL DISTRICT 3100 - (218) 749-7720
    Number of Individuals:    2       
    Number of Vehicles:    1    

Milepost:    65    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    ST. LOUIS    Number of Lanes:    2
    Crash Type:    ANIMAL    Divided/Undivided:    UNDIVIDED ROADWAY
    Incident Classification:    FATAL    Hazardous Material:    NOT PRESENT

Assisting Agencies:

ST. LOUIS COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE

Person 1:    Info Release Date and Time: Thu Aug 1 06:00:00 CDT 2013
     Person 2:    Info Release Date and Time: Thu Aug 1 06:00:00 CDT 2013

Vehicle 1:
       2002   HARLEY DAVIDSON ROAD-STRT 

IncidentDescription:    VEH #1 S/B HWY 73 JUST SO OF BEAUTY MTN ROAD, VEH #1 MADE CONTACT WITH A DEER, LOST CONTROL CAME REST IN THE WEST SIDE DITCH.

Information Complete:    INFORMATION BELIEVED COMPLETE   
    Last Updated:    7/31/2013 6:04:59 PM

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 01, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
incident number 13103022.

Incident Number:    13103022    Incident Date/Time:    8/1/2013 4:11:00 PM
    MSP District:    2100    Incident Contact:    MN STATE PATROL DISTRICT 2100 - (507) 285-7406
    Number of Individuals:    2       
    Number of Vehicles:    2    

Milepost:    34    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    WINONA    Number of Lanes:    2
    Crash Type:    BROADSIDE    Divided/Undivided:    UNDIVIDED ROADWAY
    Incident Classification:    PERSONAL INJURY    Hazardous Material:    NOT PRESENT

Assisting Agencies:

ST. CHARLES POLICE DEPARTMENT

Person 1:    SCOTT, TRAVIS R , 25 , OF ST CHARLES MN , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING
     Person 2:    MCKAY, JAMES W , 25 , OF BISMARCK SD , DRIVER OF VEH 2 , Phys. Cond. : NO APPARENT INJURY

Vehicle 1:
       2008   SUZI ROAD-STREET 

Vehicle 2:
       2008   FORD F-150 

IncidentDescription:    VEH 1 SB ON HWY 74. VEH 2 HAD BEEN STOPPED AT STOP SIGN AT 7TH ST/74 HWY. VEH 2 PROCEEDED SB ON HWY 74 IN FRONT OF VEH 1. VEH 1 STRUCK VEH 2 BROADSIDE. ST CHARLES PD, ST CHARLES AMBULANCE ON SCENE ASSISTING. STATE PATROL INVESTIGATING.

Last Updated:    8/1/2013 6:28:49 PM

Individual Records

Listed below are the individual records that match the criteria you specified.
    *Estimated age used only when true age is unknown.
    Case Number:    13103022    Seatbelt:    N/A
    Incident Date/Time:    8/1/2013 4:11:00 PM    Airbag:    N/A
    Info Released:    NOT RECORDED    Helmet:    NO

Person ID:    13103022V1P1    Age:    25
    Full Name:    SCOTT, TRAVIS R    Estimated Age:    ACTUAL AGE ABOVE
    Associated Vehicle:    13103022V1    Alcohol in System:    NO ALCOHOL DETECTED
    Role in Crash:    DRIVER    Hospital:    ST MARYS , ROCHESTER 
    Residence:    ST CHARLES , MN , USA    Physical Condition:    INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING 
    Sex:    MALE       
    Relation to Driver:    SELF    Fatal Date:    N/A - NOT RECORDED

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 02, 2013, 12:03:18 PM »
incident number 13103027.

Incident Number:    13103027    Incident Date/Time:    8/2/2013 10:31:00 AM
    MSP District:    2100    Incident Contact:    MN STATE PATROL DISTRICT 2100 - (507) 285-7406
    Number of Individuals:    1       

Milepost:    21    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    WINONA    Number of Lanes:    NOT RECORDED
    Crash Type:    RAN OFF ROAD    Divided/Undivided:    DIVIDED ROADWAY
    Incident Classification:    PERSONAL INJURY    Hazardous Material:    NOT PRESENT

Assisting Agencies:

Person 1:    HEYER, MICHAEL D , 35 , OF DAKOTA MN , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING

Vehicle 1:
       1995   HONDA MOTORCYCLE 

IncidentDescription:    VEH 1 WAS SB ON HWY 61 WHEN IT LOST CONTROL, WENT IN THE MEDIAN, AND OVERTURNED.

Last Updated:    8/2/2013 11:59:47 AM

Individual Records

Case Number:    13103027    Seatbelt:    UNKNOWN
    Incident Date/Time:    8/2/2013 10:31:00 AM    Airbag:    UNKNOWN

Person ID:    13103027V1P1    Age:    35
    Full Name:    HEYER, MICHAEL D    Estimated Age:    ACTUAL AGE ABOVE
    Associated Vehicle:    13103027V1    Alcohol in System:    NO ALCOHOL DETECTED
    Role in Crash:    DRIVER    Hospital:    WINONA HEALTH , WINONA, MN 
    Residence:    DAKOTA , MN , USA    Physical Condition:    INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING 

Offline snowflap

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 05, 2013, 01:22:41 PM »
http://www.bringmethenews.com/2013/08/05/motorcycle-crash-on-hwy-55-in-plymouth-involves-serious-injuries/

I came upon this crash last night just after it occurred - Medina LEO was code 3 as I was in front of the Target on 55 headed West. The front of bike was demolished, I think the person I saw down was the passenger in the middle of the intersection, looked conscious, and face up next to the driver’s door of one of the cars involved. EMS first responders were just arriving.

I believe time of day played a role in the crash - road faces straight west, as I approached this intersection the same direction as the Impala driver who ran the light, sun was low on the horizon. While difficult to see, it's still no excuse for running a light. Prayers for a recovery for these people.
My secret to a happy marriage? Get in enough trouble to be sent to the garage.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 05, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »
 Nice crackhead reporting by the news media. They make it sound like this was contributed to the motorcycle being at fault when they lump this in with commentary about so many motorcycle deaths this year. Even the title of the article "motorcycle crashes on hwy 55"...why not lead with something more inline with the facts...."Car runs redlight light on hwy 55 stricking two other vehicles, 3 seriously injured"..oh but perhaps that doesn't jive with their sensationalism agenda and the agenda of keeping motorcycles as a cause that needs to be fixed/regulated.

hey how about news media drive home the point about the car ran a red light..distracted driving and all those far too common ailments that seem to plague drivers today, instead of always making it about the motorcyclists.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 05, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »
hey how about news media drive home the point about the car ran a red light..distracted driving and all those far too common ailments that seem to plague drivers today, instead of always making it about the motorcyclists.

Last week on contacted Paul Walsh at the Star Tribune and pointed out that his motorcycle crash articles are setting a tone for placing blame on the rider.  The problem is every article he posts lately keeps highlighting the increased motorcycle crash rate and effectively makes it come across as a "motorcyclist problem", even though half the stories show fault of a cage driver.  I challenged him to start breaking out and tracking YOY to see if the cage drivers are actually driving the rate increase.  I don't think I got far because his interest is to write stories that hook people to click on web links.  It's too compelling to hook people with lines like, "another motorcyclist dies, July rate continues to increase", over "another motorcyclist dies from car driver violating right of way."  I noticed there as a feature story yesterday where readers were starting to write in opinions on both sides.  I'll see if I can find it.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 05, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/local/218306891.html

The Drive: Both sides at fault for motorcycle deaths

Updated: August 4, 2013 - 8:28 PM

The spike in motorcycle deaths in Minnesota and nationwide this year has renewed efforts to remind those traveling on both four wheels and two wheels to watch out for one another.

Every spring and summer, public safety officials roll out “Share the Road” campaigns. The campaigns call on vehicle drivers to look twice before entering a roadway or changing lanes, to check blind spots constantly and not to crowd motorcyclists. But some drivers say the campaigns put the onus on vehicle drivers to prevent crashes and leave bikers off the hook.

Reader Mary Switras said she’s irked by a “Look Twice for Motorcycles” public service announcement from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS). The spot that has aired on TV and plays on YouTube shows a somewhat distracted car driver switching lanes and colliding with a motorcyclist who says to himself, “I wonder if she sees me” just before passing her on the right.

“When I was a new driver, I was told that you should never pass on the right,” Switras said. “I’ve seen riders on bikes zipping around cars on both the left and right. While I know most are safe drivers, the ones whose common sense is completely absent are the ones that stand out to auto drivers. ‘Pole position’ is no way to drive safely, whether surrounded with a ton of steel or just a leather jacket.”

Authorities say speed, alcohol use and failure to wear helmets are the leading factors in fatal crashes involving motorcyclists. Vehicle drivers also say unpredictable actions play a role in causing collisions between motorcycles and vehicles.

Another reader stuck in gridlock on a Twin Cities freeway said he became infuriated when he saw a motorcyclist ride between two lanes of traffic. The practice, known as lane-splitting or stripe-riding, is illegal in Minnesota. “That can be very scary when they are cruising down the centerline,” said Stephanie Kaufenberg, a DPS spokeswoman.

About half of Minnesota’s 40-plus motorcycle deaths to date this year have involved a collision with a vehicle. The other half involved only the motorcyclist; many of those were attributed to losing control on a curve, Kaufenberg said.

Last year 55 motorcyclists died on state roads and more than 5,000 died nationally. According to a report put out this spring by the Governors Highway Safety Association, motorcycle deaths are closing in on an all-time high, and motorcyclists are one of the few groups where little progress has been made on reducing fatalities over the past decade.

While both camps might want to point fingers, it comes down to personal responsibility, Kaufenberg said.

Vehicle drivers need to focus on driving, be alert and not violate bikers’ right of way.

Motorcyclists need to wear helmets (37 percent effective in preventing deaths according to some studies), need to slow down (35 percent of fatal crashes attributed to speeding), and drive sober (29 percent of fatalities involved drunken bikers). They also need to hone their skills in riding classes, wear the proper gear and “not do dangerous maneuvers just because they are fun,” Kaufenberg said.

“We work on our campaigns each year and focus on both sides,” she said. “It comes to awareness. We are speaking to both sides.”

Follow news about traffic and commuting at The Drive on startribune.com. Got traffic or transportation questions, or story ideas? E-mail drive@startribune.com, tweet @stribdrive or call Tim Harlow at 612-673-7768.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 06, 2013, 08:33:58 AM »
http://www.startribune.com/local/north/218500121.html

Motorcycle plows through mailboxes in Maple Grove; 1 dead, another hurt

Article by: PAUL WALSH , Star Tribune
    Updated: August 6, 2013 - 7:51 AM

A motorcycle plowed through mailboxes and crashed in Maple Grove, leaving the operator dead and his passenger injured.

A motorcycle plowed through mailboxes and crashed in a residential neighborhood of Maple Grove early Tuesday, leaving the operator dead and his passenger injured, authorities said.

The crash occurred about 3:30 a.m. in the 9200 block of Upland Lane, police said.

Killed was a man, while his female passenger was taken to North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale. Her condition was not immediately available. Their identities have yet to be released.

Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 06, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/man-in-critical-condition-after-vernon-county-crash/article_717ef246-fea8-11e2-835b-0019bb2963f4.html

Man in critical condition after Vernon County crash

A Fort Worth, Texas, man is in critical condition today after a motorcycle crash Monday along Hwy. 35 in the town of Bergen.

According to the Vernon County Sheriff’s Department, Bruce C. Gunhus, 58, was northbound at 12:19 p.m. near Spring Coulee Road when he turned into a wayside between Genoa and Stoddard. He lost control of his motorcycle as he pulled off the highway. The motorcycle overturned, and Gunhus was thrown from it.

The motorcycle came to rest in a ditch along Hwy. 35. Gunhus was not wearing a helmet.

Gunhus was transported by Med-Link Air to Gundersen Health System in La Crosse. Gundersen listed Gunhus’ condition as critical this morning.

Assisting at the scene were the Stoddard-Bergen Fire Department, Stoddard-Bergen First Responders and Tri-State Ambulance.

The accident remains under investigation.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 06, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »
http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/blair-man-injured-in-motorcycle-crash/article_d7f78a80-fe51-11e2-83b1-0019bb2963f4.html

Blair man injured in motorcycle crash

BLAIR — A 43-year-old man was injured when he lost control of his motorcycle Sunday near Blair.

The crash occurred on Larkin Valley Road near Schansberg Road when James J. Woof of Blair left the road and went into the ditch just before 7 p.m., according to the Trempealeau County Sheriff’s Department.

Woof was flown by Med-Link Air to Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, where he was listed in good condition Monday.

Alcohol appears to be a factor, according to the sheriff’s department, which is investigating the crash.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 06, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
http://www.leadertelegram.com/news/daily_updates/article_a5840d74-ef4e-11e2-a405-001a4bcf887a.html

Motorcycle crash kills Menomonie woman

A 30-year-old Menomonie woman was killed Wednesday afternoon in a motorcycle crash on Highway 178 in the Chippewa County town of Eagle Point.

The crash occurred shortly after 5 p.m. about 1½ miles north of Highway Y near Jim Falls.

The woman was traveling southbound on Highway 178 when she attempted to pass a southbound car on the left that had slowed down and is believed to have signaled a left turn, Chippewa County Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk said. She struck the car on the driver's side as it was attempting to turn left and was thrown from her motorcycle.

The county coroner pronounced her dead at the scene.

Authorities withheld the name of the victim pending notification of relatives.

The crash is still under investigation.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 06, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »
http://www.startribune.com/local/north/218500121.html

Motorcycle plows through mailboxes in Maple Grove; 1 dead, another critical

Article by: PAUL WALSH , Star Tribune
    Updated: August 6, 2013 - 3:54 PM

A motorcycle plowed through mailboxes and crashed in a residential neighborhood of Maple Grove early Tuesday, leaving the operator dead and his passenger injured, authorities said.

The crash occurred about 3:30 a.m. in the 9200 block of Upland Lane, police said.

Killed was a 21-year-old man who recently was living in Maple Grove, police said. The Hennepin County medical examiner’s office identified him as Brian Hibbard.

His female passenger, 19-year-old Nikki Hart, of Maple Grove, was in critical condition at North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale, a hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday afternoon.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 07, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »
incident number 13103083.

Incident Number:    13103083    Incident Date/Time:    8/7/2013 11:05:00 AM
    Number of Individuals:    4       
    Number of Vehicles:    2    

Location:    HWY 61 AT DRESBACH REST AREA    Road Type:    CONCRETE
    Milepost:    4    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    WINONA    Number of Lanes:    4
    Crash Type:    BROADSIDE    Divided/Undivided:    DIVIDED ROADWAY

Assisting Agencies:

WINONA COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE

Person 1:    KRUCKOW, JAMES E , 23 , OF LA CRESCENT MN , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : NO APPARENT INJURY
     Person 2:    EIDEN, JAMES G , 59 , OF GLENCOE MN , DRIVER OF VEH 2 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING
     Person 3:    ZERVAKIS, PETER N , 24 , OF LA CROSSE WI , PASSENGER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : NO APPARENT INJURY
     Person 4:    EIDEN, MICHELE L , 59 , OF GLENCOE MN , PASSENGER OF VEH 2 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING

Vehicle 1:
       2007   TOYOTA RAV 4 

Vehicle 2:
       2003   HARLEY DAVIDSON ROADSTER 

IncidentDescription:    VEHICLE 1 WAS NORTHBOUND ON HWY 61, VEHICLE 2 WAS WESTBOUND FROM THE DRESBACH REST AREA WHEN THE TWO VEHICLES COLLIDED IN THE CONSTRUCTION ZONE INTERSECTION. TRI STATE AMBULANCE ASSISTED ONSCENE.

Last Updated:    8/7/2013 9:12:00 PM

Individual Records

Case Number:    13103083    Seatbelt:    N/A
    Incident Date/Time:    8/7/2013 11:05:00 AM    Airbag:    N/A
    Info Released:    NOT RECORDED    Helmet:    UNKNOWN

Person ID:    13103083V2P1    Age:    59
    Full Name:    EIDEN, JAMES G    Estimated Age:    ACTUAL AGE ABOVE
    Associated Vehicle:    13103083V2    Alcohol in System:    NO ALCOHOL DETECTED
    Role in Crash:    DRIVER    Hospital:    GUNDERSEN LUTHERAN , LA CROSSE, WI 
    Residence:    GLENCOE , MN , USA    Physical Condition:    INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING 

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 08, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
incident number 13200986.

Incident Number:    13200986    Incident Date/Time:    8/8/2013 5:04:00 PM
    MSP District:    2200    Incident Contact:    MN STATE PATROL DISTRICT 2200 - (507) 344-2750
    Number of Individuals:    1       

Milepost:    119    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    FARIBAULT    Number of Lanes:    4
    Crash Type:    RAN OFF ROAD    Divided/Undivided:    DIVIDED ROADWAY

Assisting Agencies:

FARIBAULT COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE

Person 1:    ELROD, CHRISTOPHER P , 42 , OF WINTHROP HARBOR IL , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING

Vehicle 1:
       2010   HARLEY MODEL UNKNOWN 

IncidentDescription:    V1 EB ON I 90 LOST CONTROL AND WENT OFF THE ROAD. ALSO ASSISTING ON THE SCENE WAS BLUE EARTH FIRE AND BLUE EARTH AMBULANCE.

Last Updated:    8/8/2013 6:26:09 PM

Individual Records

Case Number:    13200986    Seatbelt:    N/A
    Incident Date/Time:    8/8/2013 5:04:00 PM    Airbag:    N/A

Person ID:    13200986V1P1    Age:    42
    Full Name:    ELROD, CHRISTOPHER P    Estimated Age:    ACTUAL AGE ABOVE
    Associated Vehicle:    13200986V1    Alcohol in System:    NO ALCOHOL DETECTED
    Role in Crash:    DRIVER    Hospital:    BLUE EARTH HOSPITAL , BLUE EARTH 
    Residence:    WINTHROP HARBOR , IL , USA    Physical Condition:    INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING