Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:20:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crashes Reported in the Media  (Read 156342 times)

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
Re: Crashes Reported in the Media
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
What are your concerns?

Commenting on what is reported is fine.  And learning from others mistakes is okay.

But crass comments like "darwin at work" is completely disrespectful.  That may be a personal opinion, but broadcasting it on a forum is not cool in my book.

Sorry to pick on you Hope (perhaps you're having a bad day) but this is really a peeve of mine.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »
OK, now I get your point.  I will modify the first post to discourage the comments.  But I am leaving it up to Ray to ultimately decide whether commentary needs to be edited out.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
I appreciate that.  Thank you.  :)

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
It's deleted, you can all relax now

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 07:06:13 PM »
http://mankatofreepress.com/local/x1968166702/Motorcyclist-passenger-recount-night-of-crash

Local News
May 22, 2012
Motorcyclist, passenger recount night of crash

By Dan Nienaber Free Press Staff Writer

— Missing a foot and nursing several fractures in her pelvis and back, Shauna Vanderlinde was just happy to be alive Monday as she prepared for her first round of physical therapy at a hospital in Rochester.

Vanderlinde, 26, was on the back of her boyfriend’s motorcycle just after 11 p.m. May 12 when he attempted to avoid a crash with a pickup. In a matter of seconds, she and Patrick Caddell, 44, went from traveling west on Highway 99 at about 40-45 mph to sliding across the oncoming lane of traffic and into the ditch next to the Rabbit Road intersection. They had just turned left onto the highway and were heading toward St. Peter from the gravel road that leads to Hobbers Highway 99 Bar & Grill.

She was wearing Capri pants and flip flops, something Vanderlinde admits she doesn’t usually wear when she’s riding Caddell’s powerful Suzuki Intruder 1400.

“All of a sudden this truck in front of us made a quick stop,” Vanderlinde said. “My boyfriend told me to hold on. The next thing I knew the bike was on Rabbit Road and I was in the ditch. There was skin and blood everywhere.”

The pickup was driven by 43-year-old Thomas Ziemer of Le Sueur. An initial crash report from the State Patrol said Caddell was passing Ziemer in a no-passing zone and their two vehicles collided as Ziemer turned left on to Rabbit Road.

Another State Patrol report released Monday said the left blinker light on Ziemer’s 1960 Ford pickup wasn’t working. Both Caddell and Vanderlinde said Ziemer’s brake lights weren’t working either, so Caddell didn’t realize Ziemer was slowing down to turn until it was too late to stop. Caddell said he went into the oncoming lane of traffic in an attempt to avoid a collision.

Ziemer declined to comment when he was contacted Monday.

“It was an automatic decision,” Caddell said. “I was passing because he was stopping, and I couldn’t stop behind him. The only other option was to go around him, but then he turned left.

“I tried to make it into the ditch. If I hadn’t dropped the bike, I think we would have been dead. We are very fortunate to be alive.”

Caddell said he and Vanderlinde had planned to meet several family members at Whiskey River on May 13, the day after their crash, to announce their engagement. Instead, Vanderlinde was airlifted to Rochester and Caddell spent about four days in Mankato’s hospital being treated for back and head injuries.

The St. Peter couple said they’ve gone ahead and announced their plans to marry; the announcement just didn’t go as planned. Still unable to work, Caddell is now staying at a hotel in Rochester and doing what he can to assist with Vanderlinde’s recovery.

Despite having her foot amputated and facing weeks in a back brace as she goes through physical therapy, Vanderlinde was upbeat Monday. She said she has to be because she has two children at home, a 7-year-old daughter and a 4-year-old son, who need her to get well quickly.

“She’s taking it better than I ever expected,” Caddell said. “She’s taking it better than I am. She’s very strong.

“We both just want to get healthy and move on with our lives.”

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2012, 03:18:28 AM »
Problem # 1... blinkers are not working AND brake lights not working! this guy shouldn't have been on the road driving like that, he was just an accident waiting to happen
the left blinker light on Ziemer’s 1960 Ford pickup wasn’t working. Both Caddell and Vanderlinde said Ziemer’s brake lights weren’t working either

Problem # 2 another example of not obeying the law

Caddell was passing Ziemer in a no-passing zone and their two vehicles collided as Ziemer turned left on to Rabbit Road.

Problem # 3 speaks for itself

She was wearing Capri pants and flip flops

Despite having her foot amputated 

The combination of no gear with the "law-breaking" of both parties = completely avoidable accident, very sad outcome

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2012, 08:03:30 AM »
When a vehicle slows to the point of making a pass compelling on a double yellow, I always make that one last check to see if they could possibly be turning into a driveway, or making an illegal u-turn.  I don't think the rider here had a sense of situational awareness.

BTW, even though blinkers or brake lights were not working, I think the majority of the liability rests on the following vehicle (the rider in this case).

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2012, 08:33:26 AM »

BTW, even though blinkers or brake lights were not working, I think the majority of the liability rests on the following vehicle (the rider in this case).
I agree, as you pointed out he did not have situational awareness and attempted to make an illegal pass on top of that. Ultimately its up to him to maneuver safely on the road . However isn't it the law that turn signals and brake lights be working? If the rider of the motorcycle had been able to see the truck signaling his turn then he probably wouldn't have tried to make that pass. Of course it wouldn't be the first time someone turned without signaling. I also agree that once the truck started slowing down that the rider on the bike should've been more aware, that should've been a clue something was up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:38:18 AM by armyofone »

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 08:48:12 AM »
However isn't it the law that turn signals and brake lights be working?

Yes, but law and liability are two different things here.  Insurance settlements look at everything black and white and a vehicle in the back is always responsible for ensuring all danger in front is managed accordingly.  Even in legal terms, the law probably will come down harder on the motorcyclist for making an illegal pass and riding too close.

A few years ago I was the unfortunate participant of a fender bender when a driver lost control on ice and spun out in front of me.  I had ample time to avoid hitting this person, had it not been for the same ice.  Despite the "victim" having started the whole thing by losing control (accident would not have occurred otherwise), I was assigned majority blame because I am supposed to have ultimate control of the outcome.  Anyway, this was my lesson that, no matter what happens in front, you will be the most liable in the back.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:50:17 AM by pkpk »

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
When a vehicle slows to the point of making a pass compelling on a double yellow, I always make that one last check to see if they could possibly be turning into a driveway, or making an illegal u-turn.  I don't think the rider here had a sense of situational awareness.

It was after 11 p.m, so it probably wasn't easy to judge the pickup's speed.

“It was an automatic decision,” Caddell said. “I was passing because he was stopping, and I couldn’t stop behind him. The only other option was to go around him, but then he turned left.”

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
The fact he said "I couldn't stop behind him" makes me believe he was following too close. So his only option, in his mind, was to go around. But he didn't know the truck was turning because the truck driver was being irresponsible and unsafe driving at night and without signals. I still believe as well the majority of liability lies with the bike rider but that truck driver is partly to blame too. Both drivers made bad decisions and unfortunately ended up badly for the passenger.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
Without passing judgement on the incident, one thing I have noticed is an awful habit of some motorcyclists following vehicles much too close at speed.  I know there are cases where it really can't be avoided, trying to minimize the amount of passing distance on a two lane road for instance or close pack at rush hour.  What I am talking about is riders camped on the bumper of the vehicle in front in situations where they could easily back off some without any negative consequences.  Sometimes I wonder if this isn't a target fixation, staring at the boat motor prop or a bumper sticker and then locking in that following distance for miles.  Whatever the reason, it drives me nuts because there is never an easy outcome when things go wrong.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2012, 10:29:15 AM »
 My only comment is that it was after dark. I haven't ridden after sundown for decades. I'm old(66)but have survived 50+ yrs of riding. I believe the chances of mishap multiplies by maybe 6 times in the dark. A cool,romantic moonlight ride isn't worth the danger. Guzzi John
john pierson

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
My only comment is that it was after dark. I haven't ridden after sundown for decades. I'm old(66)but have survived 50+ yrs of riding. I believe the chances of mishap multiplies by maybe 6 times in the dark. A cool,romantic moonlight ride isn't worth the danger. Guzzi John

Some people don't think any motorcycle ride is worth the risk.

Pat Hahn's first book had a chapter about night riding.  It consisted of four words: Don't ride at night.

I always hoped he'd realize that there are lots of things a rider can do to reduce risk at night.

Safe riding is about recognizing and reducing risk, not eliminating it.

Brent

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »
I never liked Pat's line about night riding either.  It seems to imply a complete separation of risk, when I think it really is simply changing the type of risk.  At night, you have less traffic, but more deer for ex.  I've learned to just ride ssslllooooooow at night.

Night riding is actually a religious experience out in the plains, away from light pollution.