Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:10:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crashes Reported in the Media  (Read 156339 times)

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
Re: Crashes Reported in the Media
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
Pat's in Oregon now, anyway... probably riding at night.   ;D

I'd agree with the other assessments too.
This was kind of a perfect storm with multiple failures on both vehicle operators.
How often are you going to roll up on a truck mysteriously slowing down with no brake lights/ turn signals in a no passing lane with a passenger at night?
And let's throw in some inadequate gear too.

And the most innocent of the three participants loses a foot.  Bad situation.

Offline Powershouse

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »
Not a crash, but a media report:

Afton targeting motorcycle traffic
Afton City Council approved during its May 15 meeting to combat speed and noise, caused by motorcycles, through saturated and directed enforcement.

By: Amber Kispert-Smith, Woodbury Bulletin

Afton City Council has decided to address motorcycle speed and noise through saturated and directed enforcement. Primarily, Washington County Sheriff's Department will be set up for a four-hour period in Afton during peak motorcycle traffic.

Afton City Council has decided to take a stand against motorcyclists.

During its May 15 meeting Afton City Council discussed ways to enforce speed and noise limits in relation to motorcycles.

Motorcycles are a common problem in Afton in terms of noise and high speed, Interim City Administrator Ron Moorse said.

The Washington County Sheriff’s Department presented two options to Afton City Council related to speed and noise enforcement.

The first option would be to have regular staffing through directed patrol and signage.

The second option would be a saturation effort by four deputies assigned specifically to speed enforcement for a four-hour period when motorcycle traffic is at its highest.

The city receives a portion of payment from all traffic tickets.

Since the saturation patrol would require overtime hours, the extra cost would be $960 for one day and $1,920 for two days.

Afton City Council was in favor of taking steps to solve the problem.

“It’s about time,” Council Member Bill Palmquist said. “We need to get it known that we take it seriously.”

Both Palmquist and Council Member Randy Nelson said they were favor of implementing both regular patrol and the saturated patrol.

“It’s needed,” Nelson said. “If we do it once or twice, it gets out there.

“We’ve got to slow people down – it’s money well spent.”

Council Members Joe Richter and Peg Nolz were not in support of either plan until they could see something laid out.

Additionally, Richter said he wasn’t sure how much an effect it will have.

“I don’t think it’s going to be a long term fix,” he said.

City Council approved both options on a 3-2 vote.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »
Perfectly applicable and acceptable here Kevin.  Not only highlights local frustrations with motorcyclists, but also highlights another shoddy bit of journalism.

"Afton City Council has decided to take a stand against motorcyclists."  Geez, why doesn't the writer come right out and provide a disclaimer first, like "I don't like motorcycles, but don't let that get in the way of my objective reporting." 

Anyway, Sounds to me like the city council is simply after what pisses off a large number of people, noisy bikes and fast riding on Afton and Stagecoach roads (BTW,  both roads are inappropriate places to be testing your throttle, please try to keep it reasonable in these areas.)

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
"Afton City Council has decided to take a stand against motorcyclists."  Geez, why doesn't the writer come right out and provide a disclaimer first, like "I don't like motorcycles, but don't let that get in the way of my objective reporting." 

The story seems fair and balanced to me.  The writer is objectively reporting that the Afton City Council has decided to target motorcycle traffic for more aggressive enforcement.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »
The lead-in grabber kills it for me.  "Afton City Council has decided to take a stand against motorcyclists."  There is nothing fair and balanced about a sentence like that.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2012, 07:30:37 AM »
The lead-in grabber kills it for me.  "Afton City Council has decided to take a stand against motorcyclists."  There is nothing fair and balanced about a sentence like that.

I don't get it, Paul.  Can you tell me what's unfair or unbalanced about it?

Do you dispute the facts?  Does that statement unfairly malign the Afton City Council?

Do you believe it's unfair to motorcyclists? 

Can you rewrite the sentence in a way that you believe is fair and balanced?

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2012, 09:13:21 AM »
The sentence makes it sound like an "us vs them" mentality and is putting all motorcyclists into one group.  The rest of the article clarifies the problem are obnoxious pipes excessive speed.  I bet a number of Afton residents own a motorcycle and perhaps even some of the city council.  I don't think they want to ban bikes from their downtown or discourage casual Sunday riders from visiting the area. 

Note that I never disagreed with the content of the article, just the sentence that would preload the reader to think negatively about all motorcyclists.

A rewrite is not necessary, the sentence isn't needed at all and it doesn't change the main point to exclude it completely.   
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:21:22 AM by pkpk »

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
  Just think of our own statements of "10 over on the straights" etc.  How many of us don't slow down when passing a farmhouse especially when the barn's across the road? Any rider who says their "Hooligan" never comes out is a rarity indeed. GJ ::)
john pierson

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »
The sentence makes it sound like an "us vs them" mentality and is putting all motorcyclists into one group.

OK. Now I think I get it.  You would have preferred a lead-in sentence like "Afton Council discusses options to deal with motorcycle noise and excessive speeds."

Note that I never disagreed with the content of the article, just the sentence that would preload the reader to think negatively about all motorcyclists.

Or lead a reader to think negatively about some Afton City Council members.

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »

I agree. It makes me feel as though the members of that city council dislike all motorcyclists. They have to take a stand against us? It comes off pretty biased, like everyone one of us rides through that town causing problems. 

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »
The sentence makes it sound like an "us vs them" mentality and is putting all motorcyclists into one group.

OK. Now I think I get it.  You would have preferred a lead-in sentence like "Afton Council discusses options to deal with motorcycle noise and excessive speeds."

Or lead a reader to think negatively about some Afton City Council members.

Here here!!  LOL...well said though.  It's going to be interesting to see what they do.

If they ever repave CR 21 & Stagecoach its going to be even more interesting!!
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2012, 01:10:53 AM »
I'd agree with the other assessments too.
This was kind of a perfect storm with multiple failures on both vehicle operators.
How often are you going to roll up on a truck mysteriously slowing down with no brake lights/ turn signals in a no passing lane with a passenger at night?
And let's throw in some inadequate gear too.

And the most innocent of the three participants loses a foot.  Bad situation.

I agree, I never really thought that he was passing in the traditional sense, more like evasive maneuvering during the pending emergency.  I wonder (always do) what gear would have done for her.  How much of a priority is it now?  Suiting up is costly, a hassle and (most) people think I'm crazy... but yet I do it each time I ride.  That's the part that kills me, the regret...  regret I hope I don't have to taste for my own lack of preparation, bad decision-making or back luck.

a.s.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »

You read my mind.  :D

I don't understand why they just don't take that money and purchase signs warning about noise and speed.  This way, the message is conveyed each time a rider rolls through town.

Offline t-cat

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2012, 11:41:54 PM »
They have a portable sign up on stagecoach right off hudson road....we went threw there today and they are not screwing around in afton. We saw 4 cops sitting from the start of stagecoach all the way to the 4 way stop south of afton. Had one follow us most of the way threw to see if we were gonna do something stupid.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
All available information for
incident number 1210223.

Incident Number:    1210223    Incident Date/Time:    5/27/2012 7:02:00 PM
    MSP District:    2100    Incident Contact:    MN STATE PATROL DISTRICT 2100 - (507) 285-7406
    Number of Individuals:    2       
    Number of Vehicles:    1    

Milepost:    215    Road Condition:    DRY
    County:    WABASHA    Number of Lanes:    2
    Crash Type:    OTHER    Divided/Undivided:    UNDIVIDED ROADWAY
    Incident Classification:    PERSONAL INJURY    Hazardous Material:    NOT PRESENT

Assisting Agencies:

WABASHA COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE

Person 1:    NAPPIN, CODY J , 30 , OF OWATONNA MN , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING
     Person 2:    VOLKMAN, DAWN R , 37 , OF OWATONNA MN , PASSENGER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : INJURY - NON LIFE THREATENING

Vehicle 1:
       2011   HARLEY DAVIDSON MODEL UNKNOWN 

IncidentDescription:    MC WB HWY 60 DRIVER LOST CONTROL ON CURVE, SPUNOUT, SLIDE INTO A GUARDRAIL.

Information Complete:    INFORMATION BELIEVED COMPLETE   
    Last Updated:    5/27/2012 8:59:41 PM