Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crashes Reported in the Media  (Read 156099 times)

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
Re: Crashes Reported in the Media
« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2013, 08:12:35 AM »
Well it would be 30mph. They did nothing wrong until after the crash. They have every right to get to a crime scene. It is what they did after that makes me mad. NOTHING TO AID THE VICTIM.

Jan last year my daughter was involved in an accident on the highway, she hit an AV squad car, totalled out car, air bags deployed, 3 teenage girls in the car on the way home from cheer practice.... cop NEVER even got out of his car to make sure the girls were ok, he called for backup and sat there and waited. Thank God the girls were all ok but that's pretty shitty IMO that they don't even bother check on the status of others involved in crashes anymore. If a person needs CPR minutes CAN and DO make a difference.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 16, 2013, 10:41:35 AM »
I was in Bart's group riding Hwy 60 westbound just a few hours before the
reported fatality eastbound on 60. There were a lot of bikes out Tuesday and we saw sportbikes coming at us on 60. Anyone know what kind of bike Omari was riding?

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2013, 01:57:08 PM »
Well it would be 30mph. They did nothing wrong until after the crash. They have every right to get to a crime scene. It is what they did after that makes me mad. NOTHING TO AID THE VICTIM.

Jan last year my daughter was involved in an accident on the highway, she hit an AV squad car, totalled out car, air bags deployed, 3 teenage girls in the car on the way home from cheer practice.... cop NEVER even got out of his car to make sure the girls were ok, he called for backup and sat there and waited. Thank God the girls were all ok but that's pretty shitty IMO that they don't even bother check on the status of others involved in crashes anymore. If a person needs CPR minutes CAN and DO make a difference.

I'm probably in a minority view on this but I just don't see a cop's duty as being the medical first responder.  I agree that the cop should have gotten out of his car to check on the girls but I will never assume any cop is trained to give CPR properly.  Again, the cops first duty is to secure the scene.  This is what happened in my accident.  I was not mobile and if he wasn't out there directing traffic, I stood a serious chance of getting run over. 

According to reports I've found on this accident, there were paramedics on site within three minutes and the cops were getting harassed by on lookers.  How come the on lookers didn't offer themselves up as Good Samaritans???  If I'm a cop at the scene of a crash at an intersection in Mpls, I'm going to be spending my time closing down streets and then watching my back. 

My last word on the subject.  If you weren't there, then you can't believe anything you are hearing or reading from ANY of the parties involved.  The few undeniable facts are already setting the stage for some serious discussions that will hopefully yield some change in policy.  If you feel that cops should be every bit as qualified to serve as an EMT, then go attend the hearings and make your voice heard.  Personally, I don't want them distracted from shutting down the road and possibly punching a hole in my chest from improper CPR training.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 16, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
The last reports I heard indicate by GPS records the squad was going 16 to 17 MPH, slow for this road.  Additionally, vehicles had stopped in all four directions prior to the crash. 

Unfortunately, the biker did not see the squad and entered the intersection.  This strikes me as remarkably poor situational awareness, although I doubt he was reckless.

Similarly, the squad should have seen that the bike had not stopped or adequately slowed to allow him to go through the intersection.

Officers are given a great deal of discretion as to how they do their jobs.  There will not be a lawsuit arising out of the lack of immediate care by the officer - at least not one which will be successful.  If he could safely provide assistance and such assistance would be beneficial I would expect him to do so, regardless.

Is there any evidence that medical attention - which could be offered by the average cop - would have made any difference whatsoever?

There may be a lawsuit arising out of the accident itself, but this is going to a tough climb for the biker's estate.  At a minimum, it is pretty hard to explain passing stopped cars to enter an intersection to hit a slow moving squad operating its lights and siren. 

No matter who is at fault, it is a very sad situation. 

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 18, 2013, 07:43:47 AM »
reported fatality eastbound on 60. There were a lot of bikes out Tuesday and we saw sportbikes coming at us on 60. Anyone know what kind of bike Omari was riding?

Tony
I believe Omari had a white R6. Wow, nice guy. I last saw him at the Motorcycle Show.
RIP...
'13 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »

Incident Number:    13102030   Incident Date/Time:    5/14/2013 8:40:00 PM
MSP District:    2100   Incident Contact:    MN STATE PATROL DISTRICT 2100 - (507) 285-7406
Number of Individuals:    1      
Number of Vehicles:    1   

Milepost:    205   Road Condition:    DRY
County:    WABASHA   Number of Lanes:    2
Crash Type:    RAN OFF ROAD   Divided/Undivided:    UNDIVIDED ROADWAY
Incident Classification:    FATAL   Hazardous Material:    NOT PRESENT

Assisting Agencies:
WABASHA COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE

Person 1:    OMARI, OMARI O , 32 , OF MINNEAPOLIS MN , DRIVER OF VEH 1 , Phys. Cond. : DECEASED

Vehicle 1:

2001   HONDA MODEL UNKNOWN 

IncidentDescription:    MOTORCYCLE (V1) WAS TRAVELING EB ON HWY 60, RAN OFF ROAD AND STRUCK TREE IN DITCH. V1 DRIVER WAS FOUND DECEASED AT SCENE.

Information Complete:    INFORMATION BELIEVED COMPLETE   
Last Updated:    5/15/2013 12:30:46 AM

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 19, 2013, 12:11:15 AM »
damn police.  "... to prosecute and convict..."  Remember, you and I do one infraction slightly wrong in their eyes and we are harassed, prosecuted, fined, so on.  They act like a fool and kill someone they will not pay any price. They are the biggest gang out there.  I don't even dislike them it's just the way I have seen it. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 19, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
http://www.piercecountyherald.com/event/article/id/53292/

UPDATE: Eau Claire woman airlifted following motorcycle crash

PLUM CITY - A 21-year-old Eau Claire woman was airlifted from the Plum City High School football field late Saturday morning following a motorcycle accident on Hwy. 10, in the town of Union, north of the village.

Pierce County sheriff's deputies were advised of the crash, described as near the top of the Plum City hill, at 10:54 a.m.

Christin A. Fenter was driving her 2005 Suzuki motorcycle westbound on Hwy. 10 when she apparently strayed off the pavement in a curve and entered the north ditch, striking several small trees. She was ejected from the bike.

She was described from the scene as having sustained a possible head injury and an air ambulance responded from Mayo Health in Eau Claire. The aircraft landed at 11:33 p.m.

Plum City Ambulance personnel were assisted by a paramedic from the Ellsworth Area Ambulance Service and the Wisconsin State Patrol.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
http://www.hudsonstarobserver.com/event/article/id/104839/publisher_ID/19/

Hwy. 35 crash results in injury, citation

The commute home to River Falls at the intersection of southbound Hwy. 35 and Radio Road was slowed late Tuesday afternoon, May 14, by a car vs. motorcycle collision. The injured motorcyclist, Michael D. Fisher, Jr., 33, Hammond, was heading south toward River Falls when a 1996 Honda Accord driven by Katie L. Anderson, 20, River Falls, allegedly failed to yield from a stop sign while pulling out from Radio Road.

Police radio communications indicated that Fisher was conscious but had a broken leg, and that he was taken by River Falls Ambulance to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.

Anderson, apparently unhurt, was given a $175.30 citation for causing the collision.

Both motorcycle and car were heavily damaged.

One lane of southbound traffic on Hwy. 35 was blocked for a half hour until almost 5 p.m.

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has just begun work to build an overpass, interchanges and roundabouts at Radio Road and Hwy. 35.

Part of the reason is to increase safety and eliminate stop-and-go access to the high-speed, busy highway.

The Radio Road access to Hwy. 35 is expected to be closed by mid-summer as the overpass/interchange construction work progresses.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 20, 2013, 02:09:21 PM »

Tony
I believe Omari had a white R6. Wow, nice guy. I last saw him at the Motorcycle Show.
RIP...

Thanks Jamie. That confirms what I heard from someone else recently. I am certain that we saw Omari's group on Hwy 60 Tuesday. It was hard to identify bike types because the closing speeds were so high.

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 20, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
Tony

Someone mentioned to me over the weekend that he was on a CBR when he crashed. They also said that the CBR was cracked and he knew about it. Not good.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 20, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
We saw 3 sportbikes coming at us. The first two were close and the 3rd was maybe 100 - 200 yards back. They looked like 600's but can't be sure. Omari may have been already crashed before we saw the 3.

Anyway, R.I.P. Omari.

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 20, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »
Cracked?  As in frame/swingarm?

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 21, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
Cracked?  As in frame/swingarm?

Yes

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 28, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
http://www.piercecountyherald.com/event/article/id/53495/

Published May 28, 2013, 09:09 AM
Three airlifted from separate 'cycle crashes Sunday evening

Three cyclists from Minnesota were airlifted from two separate motorcycle accidents which occurred within about an hour of one another Sunday evening on Hwy. 35, south of Prescott.

Pierce County authorities said Jacob Adelmann, 29, of Dundas and his passenger, Tiffany Crump, 24, of New Market were both ejected after Adelmann lost control of his motorcycle, entered the ditch and both individuals struck a pile of downed trees.

Both Adelmann and Crump were injured and airlifted from the scene to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. A Regions spokesperson said Tuesday morning both were listed in good condition.

Deputy Collin Gilles stated in a press release, Adelmann suffered severe injuries but they didn't appear to be life-threatening. Both he and Crump were alert and able to communicate with hospital staff.

Alcohol and speed both appeared to be contributing factors in the crash, Gilles noted.

The accident occurred at 5:54 p.m. in a curve near Hwy. 35 near 1050th Street, about a mile north of CTH E.

While Prescott firefighters were en route back to their station, they happened across another motorcycle accident -- this one involving a 61-year-old man from St. Paul.

Deputy Andrew Thoms said Gerald A. Gabrielson was northbound on Hwy. 35 near 1240th Street when he failed to negotiate a curve, entered a ditch and was ejected from his bike.

Gabrielson was also airlifted to Regions Hospital, where a spokesperson said Tuesday he was in serious condition.

Deputies said the crash happened at 7:07 p.m.

Assisting at the first scene were Prescott, River Falls and Ellsworth emergency medical services, along with Prescott Fire.