Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:32:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WSBK 2012 Donnington Park  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
WSBK 2012 Donnington Park
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »
Race 2 was incredible.  Definitely preferring WSBK racing over MotoGP - much more competitive.

So, who was to blame for the last corner crash? Rea, Melandri? Melandri was never going to hold that line, and Rea saw an opportunity... Apparently the Haslam side of the garage thought Melandri caused the incident.  Personally, I think Melandri should not have tried that move and take one for the team.  A one-two finish in the two races is better for the team.

Can't wait for the next race.

Offline EdgeRyder

• View Profile
Re: WSBK 2012 Donnington Park
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
The last 8-9 laps was great racing.  I haven't seen that much competition between 4 riders ever.   I can see the Hitler meme being done for BMW due to the last corner.  LOL.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
WARNING: SPOILER, sort of Re: WSBK 2012 Donnington Park
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:27:32 PM »
Totally agree with most of what you said, Tim.  WSBK has been so much more fun to watch than MotoGP this year.  Both of those races were great, and the last lap of Race 2 was amazing.

That was just a totally wild crash in the last turn.  I think it would be fair to accuse Melandri of poor judgment.  And I don't think Rea had any intentions of causing a crash.

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
Re: [Spoiler] WSBK 2012 Donnington Park
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 01:00:14 AM »
Shit happens quick, including poor decisions, and since I wasn't inside Melandri's helmet, can only imagine he COMPLETLY blanked out to situational awareness (he could have be #2 in a 1-2 BMW finish, that he was #1 in Race 1, with Haslam as #2, it could have been a *perfect* weekend for the TEAM), and it all fell apart, when he decided to not squeeze the brake lever for those 3 extra miliseconds, in an attempt to make it a perfect weekend for himself. His banzai move didn't directly cause any contact, it just lit the fuse. Oh well, he still got to be comforted by his towering GF. Very doubtful it will cause him trouble with the team. After all, he got BMW their first/only win :-\. Rea was just in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time :).
Other things that should keep WSBK very interesting this year: What will happen if they figure out how to keep tires under "The Grinna' :D and his Kawi? I'm also looking forward to seeing Hoppa' back in it, he either needs calcium supplements or better body armor though.
As far as the MC Race series this year...it was fortunate for WSBK to put on a good show this week. That last race at Monza was almost as painful to watch as that F1 race at Indy a few (??) years back with 8 cars, or what ever it was. Riding a 'Prilla, I try to be a Biaggi fan, but damn, he makes it difficult! MotoGP is at least, less predictable this year than last. BSB is a great show, those bike paths they race around in the "parks" are wicked! AMA ain't bad either! I have also been enjoying watching qualifying for WSBK and MotoGP, as much as the races themselves, the tension really builds! Thank goodness for racingforme, as Speed TV can suck it! Speaking of poor decisions, can you believe they cut away from post race interviews to show soccer? Yes, soccer, on Speed. Again, suck it Speed. 
+P
Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 09:50:51 AM »
I think race 2 represents the success of WSBK as a series. Spectators want a close race, not a procession and as the stock car guys say "Rubbin is racing". In a tight race every inch matters and when every inch matters, you're going to get some contact.

Team rules = contrived "racing".

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
  They were looking at the podium,Max sees the "BIG PICTURE".GJ ;)
john pierson

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
Team rules = contrived "racing".

Nothing contrived about being sensible and taking one for the team.  Sure, a bit of "rubbing" is exiting, but what Malandri did to Haslam on the last corner was a brain fart.

What matters to factory racing teams most is the constructor's championship; BMW had a 1-2 finish, in their grasp for both races,   until Melandri got greedy.