Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:02:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I'm okay - The bike is totaled but my not :-)  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Mr. Gadget

• View Profile
    • Paid To Be Green
I'm okay - The bike is totaled but my not :-)
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
I'm okay - The bike is totaled but my not :-)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers - I doing much better now that I'm home recovering and under the care of my lovely, strong, smart, caring, beautiful wife. 

I partially dislocated my left shoulder, got a little road rash on my left wrist, cut the inside of my lip (7 stitches), impact bruises and bleeding on my left knee, one small slice from the fence, a few face bruises and cuts from the impact but no serious head trauma.  The grace of God, My gear and helmet definitely saved my life.

Thanks to the group of rides for coming back to help and to Bruce Genck for helping with picking up pieces of my bike and getting stuff out of the motel room and coming by to visit me in the hospital.  Thanks David McLellan for trying to visit me on your way home and helping out with texting me the route sheet so I could find my bike at the farmers house. 

Our good friends came down to LaCrosse with wife Sheryl to get me out of the hospital on Sunday night and retrieve my bike.  We went back down to get my clothes and things all the way back down to Spring Green, WI - Pictures to follow soon!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:56:32 AM by Mr. Gadget »

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
Re: I'm okay - The bike is totaled but my not :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:19:50 PM »
Heard about your crash from Dave today, glad to hear your doin okay :)

Jeff
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
I know everyone on the scene was amazed to see you sitting on a rail tie while your bike laid in a heap nearby.  Maybe the people that live on that corner can convince the township they need to get a warning sign put up before the crest of that hill. 

So did anyone ever find that cellphone?  BTW, you sure pissed of a few cows.  They were belloring at us from the other side of the pasture.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:06:16 PM by pkpk »

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »
Quick recovery buddy, I'm the guy on the orange bike.

Mike
Push Harder

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
Sorry to hear Marty!  Good thing I can tell that not only you can type fine but your spirits are well.  Naturally I want to know the details so I'll keep an eye out for those.  The ST had a lot of miles on it had a good career.  Maybe an FJR in your future now.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:01:08 PM »
Sorry to hear of your crash, but glad to hear you aren't worse off then you are!
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
Sorry to hear about the crash but happy you are in good spirits!!

Take care, heal quickly, & God Bless,

Mark/Tumbler
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:03:35 AM »
Good to hear you're up and walking, sorry about the bike.

a.s.

gely

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »
Sorry to hear about your crash, glad your ok.  I think it would be helpful if you can post the crash spot for reference in case were in the area.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 08:45:49 AM »
Like everyone else we are glad your OK. You were luck to come out with little injury. Going off road is almost allways bad and going through a wire fence is not very good. I stopped for a time but by that time you had a lot of good help. Again glad your OK.
This was down by Lansing and not many go that for South to ride. We were riding these road for just what there are nothing different about this spot.

Offline Mr. Gadget

• View Profile
    • Paid To Be Green
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
I was amazed what good gear did for me.  The bike went down hard and blow up in to tons of pieces from my dash gadgets to all the plastic dash pieces and more. My armored jacket serious protected my shoulder, The knee armor definitely saved my left knee, Full face helmet was a big factor in saving my face big time.  BTW: pkpk I did find my cell phone under me next to the road road ties and it still works :-)

5-19 Accident Location was Gianoli Rd & Mound Ridge Rd.

No speed limit signs in the area, no visibility of the turn due to hill, no curve head sign with speed posted and the actual turn is more like a "T" not a curve

Here is the link:  http://g.co/maps/ev7ud 

What I Did:  I was giving the rider in front more room and therefore I didn't know which way to turn left or right for an instant, I was not slowing down going up the hill so the down hill accelerated my speed.  I went too heavy on the back brakes because of my 36+ years of dirt trail riding in emergency braking situations. I did let the bike bust through the barbed wire fence before I slide through it in to the cow pasture / pen.

What I Should of Done: I should of been going slower and kept up with the rider in front who was slower than me in the turns so I would of been pacing him better and I would of know which way to turn.  I should of used my front brakes much more then applied rear brakes to help if needed before the turn.  I also could of been wearing my gauntlet style gloves even if it was very warm out to avoid road rash on my wrist (I had summer protective gloves on that saved my knuckles at least )

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »
Thanks Marty.  IMHO an example of where ABS brakes give a lot of confidence in grabbing the front brakes hard if you need to and concentrating on the road. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
glad your ok Marty, i saw part of it in my mirror waiting for you guys to turn, making sure you went the right way.
tons of good help on scene right away, kept back some to let the knowledgeable folks in to help. on scene you looked and sounded good, so that was a great sign. sorry about your shoulder and bumps and bruises but it could have been much worse from what i saw. glad your gear did what it was suppose to.  i thanked Bruce for the update email, it was great to hear.

take care and heal up soon,
Joel
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad you are mostly okay. Heal up quick!

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Marty,
Good observations. Personally, I hardly use the rear brake and definitely not during emergencies. That’s on sport bikes, but on your boat, that might be a little different. I can’t remember if it was Schwantz or Spencer  that said they won GP racers while using only the front brake.

Even on the dirt, rear brake is mostly used for steering and  help in descending steep hills. I use it a lot in the parking lot to  aid in making tight turns.
Yesterday when I was riding two up on the adventure bike, it helped me in making stops gentler without helmet butting each other.

There are two kinds of riders my friend, those who quit after the first serious get off, and those who learn and make strives to  become a better rider. I hope you are on the second group.

Take care.