Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CARIBOU RIDE  (Read 3834 times)

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
CARIBOU RIDE
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
 After trying Vander's "DUALSPORT" putt through sand,water,& poison ivy in Carlos Avery I thought I'd try "Caribou Thursday".  I began having mixed emotions when others passed me to "make" the already red light. The herd mentality(ENTITLEMENT?)MEANING THE MASS MAY ACT AS 1-at through stops etc. Later out in the countryside I could see a pair of riders seemingly standing up-not,they were doing the endless wheelie thing(later someone's engine blew up). The lead in had said 10+ on straights but when I saw 80-90 to keep up-exiting seemed in order. Luckily we happened to be on part of my NW Loop so I hooked up w that and had a beautiful ride solo.  I read the only incident was a Supermoto Duck being dropped on pea gravel in a parking lot-I guess things like the Yammie w the fancy Fortuna fairing riding through the ditch doesn't count. It seems the Hooligan is a "HERD ANIMAL"!GJ ::)
john pierson

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
Re: CARIBOU RIDE
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
I want you to buy a dual-sport bike, John.
...don't know if they make bi-focal goggles, though.    :D

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »
 I love the pavement to much methinks. But maybe I'll try some online "CAMEL TRADING". ::)
john pierson

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »
Later out in the countryside I could see a pair of riders seemingly standing up-not,they were doing the endless wheelie thing(later someone's engine blew up). The lead in had said 10+ on straights but when I saw 80-90 to keep up-exiting seemed in order. Luckily we happened to be on part of my NW Loop so I hooked up w that and had a beautiful ride solo.  I read the only incident was a Supermoto Duck being dropped on pea gravel in a parking lot-I guess things like the Yammie w the fancy Fortuna fairing riding through the ditch doesn't count. It seems the Hooligan is a "HERD ANIMAL"!GJ ::)

That's only the second time I've seen someone on these rides do wheelies down the road, the majority of the rides are sane and keep to the pace.
Most of you have ridden with me and know I'm not a horribly fast rider but when you get a big group together it can get a little sticky towards the end of the group. If I'm in front and just accelerate, then the next guy accelerates that much harder to catch up and so does the next guy and so on. it was a bigger group than I prefer to ride with but people showed up to ride and I said I'd lead, so that's that.

One thing I've realize with such big groups is that it's impossible to satisfy everyone, so sorry that it turned out that way for you John.

Like I said in the other forum, usually the rides are better paced and are more twisty roads with less stops.

As far as the r1 going into the ditch, I had no idea about that till today but that's hardly my fault IMO.  Hes a newer rider and got over his head. We've all been there. He's coming to a day at DCTC with me and were gonna work on making him a better rider.

Things could have definitely gone smoother (as they usually do) but I'll agree and say it wasn't quite the best night we've had to date. Next week is first Thursday's but feel free to post up and lead the following week, I know you know more roads out that ways.

Jeff
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
 I was immediately worried when I saw the makeup of the group but people blasting by me through a red where I WAS stopping really did it. I understand the rubber band effect-when I rode w the WBMC we used to say "40 in front 90 in back".  The disparity in experience/expertise would seem to dictate a mild pace. Making it home by dark should perhaps be achieved by shortening the route rather than increasing the speed. I know I'm old and horribly opinionated but my methods have kept me alive & riding.  We should pow wow on leader methodology as I do have some "Road Captain" experience that might help down the road.GJ ???
john pierson

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »
Like I said its hard to please everyone. With 6 or so guys like we've often had in the past, it's been a lot Easier to maintain a group going a comfortable pace. There were also quite a few new riders this week I've never ridden with so that added to the mess.

I'm all ears if anyone has any advice or changes I can make to improve future group rides. it's definitely a learning experience but there are some things that are just out of my own control. Though I may plan an awesome ride, doesn't mean that that will always happen. Sometimes the odds just play against you an you have a bad night

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »
(later someone's engine blew up).

Holy shit, sorry to read this. It is extremely rare an engine blows on a ride. Anybody I know? What kind of bike?

Duc Man

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

Holy shit, sorry to read this. It is extremely rare an engine blows on a ride. Anybody I know? What kind of bike?

I heard it was Phil "Phildoe", he rode with us a short while ago.

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »

It was a Honda f4i. It was a stunt bike though so it had a pretty rough life

Offline Ridealot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
Yah you can't please everyone. I had a great ride, considering the spill on the parking lot. I thought it was lead well. If you had gone slower others may complain. Thanks for leading jvs.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »
Were there route sheets available?  Just wondering why there was rubber-banding and an motivation to flock through stop signs.

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:02 PM »
Thanks man! Glad atleast a few of us had a fun night :)

No route sheets on these rides.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »

I heard it was Phil "Phildoe", he rode with us a short while ago.

I met him on the Frontier ride earlier this season. Likeable guy. I thought maybe a Superhawk blew an engine. They seem to do that more frequently than other bikes. Anyway, I'm sure Phildoe won't be without a ride for long.