Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:00:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Metal Valve Stems  (Read 8996 times)

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Metal Valve Stems
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
Anyone using metal valve stems on their bike?  I'm considering an angled valve stem like this one

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/131/22511/ITEM/Drag-Specialties-Angled-Valve-Stem.aspx

or

https://www.denniskirk.com/chrome-angled-valve-stem.p49345.prd/49345.sku

Any reason to use a straight one vs. an angled one?  I've heard criticism of the 90-degree angled ones, but not of 25-or-so-degree ones like the one in the picture.

Thanks!

Brent
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:54:40 PM by beedawg »

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Valve Stems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
Looks like a neat/ convenient stem for sure.

I guess my only concern would be if the added weight would slop up the balance and add a few wheel weights to the rim.  But how much more weight could it honestly add?  ..eh.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:04:52 PM »
Angled metal valve stems are standard on my bike.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
The only bikes I have that have them are my Goldwings and they are 90 degree and they work great.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
Looks like a neat/ convenient stem for sure.

I guess my only concern would be if the added weight would slop up the balance and add a few wheel weights to the rim.  But how much more weight could it honestly add?  ..eh.

The shipping weight on the Dennis Kirk page is .12 pounds, which is two ounces, which is quite a bit, but that's shipping weight, which might be rounded up, so maybe the stem weighs less than two ounces.  An ounce would be tolerable, and what we're really interested in is how much more it weighs than a rubber valve.  Good point, though, thanks.  I'll eventually weigh one, if and when I get some.

The reason I'm interested in these is that my rubber valve stem broke at either the end of the straight on in the first turn at Road America last weekend.  I was halfway through the first turn when the rear of my bike started sliding.  I got through the corner, stood the bike up, but still felt lack of control, so I rode off on the inside.  The rear tire was completely flat.

I was able to put a metal valve stem on and get back out for the next session, and I didn't notice any out-of-balance for that final session, but I may have been paying attention to other things.  Riding yesterday, I did notice some shimmy, and I think it's an out-of-balance condition from replacing the rubber stem with a metal one.  I'll have to check it out.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »

ZX6-R?

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
The only bikes I have that have them are my Goldwings and they are 90 degree and they work great.

Any reason you don't put them on other bikes?

It didn't go unnoticed by me that you said "Goldwings," as in plural, as in more than one Goldwing.  I had no idea we had a multi-'Wing owner here.  We are a diverse lot.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
I have a lot of multiple bikes. Dirt bikes, sportbikes, British bikes, Harley's. You name it but I only have one Kawi.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 07:11:07 PM »

ZX6-R?

Ducati 996

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
I just bought a set of 83 deg stems from here:  http://kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=27    They list both the common 11mm size, and the smaller 8mm size found on Triumphs, and Ducs.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »
My three bikes all have right angle valve stems as standard equipment, nothing wrong with them, I've never seen one break.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
The reason I'm interested in these is that my rubber valve stem broke at either the end of the straight on in the first turn at Road America last weekend.

Was this the factory stem?  Was it dried out?

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »
.3 ounces for the all rubber straight valve stem (pictured)

.4 ounces for the all metal straight valve stem

.7 ounces for the 90* metal rubber combo stem (pictured)

The one you have pictured is no doubt slightly less weight than the 90* one I have here and pictured
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
.3 ounces for the all rubber straight valve stem (pictured)

.4 ounces for the all metal straight valve stem

.7 ounces for the 90* metal rubber combo stem (pictured)

The one you have pictured is no doubt slightly less weight than the 90* one I have here and pictured

.7 of an ounce that will kill you're lap times Brent.. lol
Chris
----------

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »

I just wanna point out that the .7 ounce metal-and-rubber 90* stem that Lloyd posted is probably the kind that I heard criticized.  The base is rubber, and it's a press-fit valve stem.  It's likely to flex at speed, so it's going to get worked and possibly fatigued.

The picture in my original post is of a valve stem with a metal base.  A nut inside the wheel presses a rubber seal against to inside of the rim to hold the valve in place and seal the air in.  Not likely to flex at speed.