Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:26:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Should riders be legally required to wear a helmet in MN?

Yes.  All riders all the time.
No.  It's a choice each rider should make for themselves.
No.  Those who don't should be required to carry additional insurance, though.
Under 18/Learners yes, everyone else it's their choice (current MN law).
Other.  Post your suggestion.
I don't care one way or the other.

Author Topic: Helmet Laws  (Read 18695 times)

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet Laws
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
And 50-year-old technology?  I wonder what that means. 

That's what I don't understand...
I hear some pretty far-fetched and wild myths of motorcycle helmets, but I have never heard that one.  It'd REALLY make me wonder if it came from an HD rider... there some pretty old technology that they are sitting on.

The choking thing has been linked to half-helmets (brain buckets).  I've been told that there are cases (?) where the back edge is caught by a sliding rider and the pressure of the chin strap collapses the windpipe.  I don't know how true that claim is or how many documented cases there are... but just wear a full-face... you know?

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
That guy must think full face helmets still look like this one.

Gort!  Klaatu, Barada, Nikto!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:07:24 AM by pkpk »

Offline Powershouse

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 12:11:56 PM »
Interesting comment at MinnPost:

Motorcycle helmets
Submitted by John N. Finn on June 11, 2012 - 7:56pm.

Since motorcycle manufacturers and motorcyclists' "rights" organizations such as ABATE (A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments) have made noise laws virtually unenforceable, I'd be in favor of a mandatory helmet law as payback for all the Harley bikers I have to listen to.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »
Interesting comment at MinnPost:

Motorcycle helmets
Submitted by John N. Finn on June 11, 2012 - 7:56pm.

Since motorcycle manufacturers and motorcyclists' "rights" organizations such as ABATE (A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments) have made noise laws virtually unenforceable, I'd be in favor of a mandatory helmet law as payback for all the Harley bikers I have to listen to.

I wish I could accurately measure the number of people who feel that way about loud pipes.  I like hearing loud engines occasionally.  Sometimes while I'm in my yard, I can hear a bike or a train that's at least 10 miles away.  I usually like it.  I would probably hate hearing it all the time.  I know I hate it when I need to talk and I'm drowned out by unwarranted noise.  I hear a surprising number of positive comments about loud bikes from my students.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
I hear some pretty far-fetched and wild myths of motorcycle helmets, but I have never heard that one.  It'd REALLY make me wonder if it came from an HD rider... there some pretty old technology that they are sitting on.

A lot of the "oldness" is just image. There are 10-year-old HDs with fuel injection, and some models got throttle-by-wire a few years ago.  They make a pretty good ABS.  Not sure whether they have tubeless wire wheels, but Harleys aren't as old-tech as the styling would suggest.

Offline motorrad

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
this is an interesting debate; I began riding in a helmet mandatory state, so it just seems normal (along with the fact it's safer and, as greg mentioned, more comfortable).  after I started riding, the first time I traveled to a 'helmet optional' state and saw people riding around without helmets, I almost went crazy - it just seemed the stupidest thing possible.  honestly I simply don't get it.

all that said, I am kind of torn on this whole issue.  I believe people should have the right to choose how they want to live their lives; but when something such as a helmet is mandatory from a safety (and social cost/effect management) perspective, then it's a non-issue.  the first thing that comes to mind when I hear about another motorcycle death is, 'were they wearing a helmet?'  it would be nice not to have to ask...and if it were law, I probably wouldn't have to ask the question as often.

there are so many things in life we take for granted that are laws, whether instituted by a governing body or by social mores.  many of those things we don't even think twice about; others we make conscious decisions about whether we want to break the mold.  I can't help but think that, if there was a mandatory helmet law, after a generation, the only people that would even think twice about it would be those that remembered 'back in the old days'.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
That guy must think full face helmets still look like this one.

Gort!  Klaatu, Barada, Nikto!

I still have mine.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
A lot of the "oldness" is just image. There are 10-year-old HDs with fuel injection, and some models got throttle-by-wire a few years ago.  They make a pretty good ABS.  Not sure whether they have tubeless wire wheels, but Harleys aren't as old-tech as the styling would suggest.

I was thinking of the push-rods and the dry sump design (big clunky oil tank)... and I realize that it's the engine sound they are going for.  But aren't the numbers all screwy still?  Like 30mpgs for 90hp?  ...not sure.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
Try 40 mpg and 54 hp. and if you look inside one you would think you were looking at an old John Deere.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

I was thinking of the push-rods and the dry sump design (big clunky oil tank)... and I realize that it's the engine sound they are going for.  But aren't the numbers all screwy still?  Like 30mpgs for 90hp?  ...not sure.

Ducati, BMW, and Yamaha use pushrod engines in some of their bikes.  Some Aprilias and KTMs have dry sump engines.

HD claims 42 mpg and 100 ft-lbs torque at 3250 rpm for the 103 ci Road King.  Tubeless wire wheels are optional, as is cruise control and ABS.  HD doesn't publish horsepower numbers, but I don't think any of them make anywhere near 90 hp from the factory.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
My 91 makes 89 hp and it is not stock. I have tested it many times. MY 2000 makes 54 hp just like the magazine say and it is all stock. If you buy a 12 you will get 57 hp at the rear wheel and a 250 Ninja will almost beat one.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »
I wonder how many people who don't wear helmets actually believe stuff like this, or if this is just someone who wants an excuse not to wear a helmet.
It is like seatbelt arguments: You are going to get caught after an accident, they are uncomfortable, etc.  All nonsense for both seatbelts and helmets.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
More stuff:

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/editorials/159257065.html

This line caught my attention:
Minnesota's helmet laws date from less informed era.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
The CDC press release referenced in the above opinion piece:

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2012/p0614_motorcycle_laws.html

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
And the updated safety guide from the CDC.