Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:39:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Be glad you're in MN  (Read 2957 times)

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
Be glad you're in MN
« on: June 11, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »
I'm in San Antonio, TX for 2 weeks with my bike.  It is so hot here that it is absolutely miserable to be on a motorcycle, even mine which is a relatively cool running bike - engine heat is not the problem.  It is so hot the pavement is slippery from I have no idea what - when you are at a stop light your boots slide on the pavement and your tires are always sliding.  It gets dark earlier and it is still extremely hot at night.  The last 2 days are both over 100 in the shade with dew points in mid-60s.  You cannot ride with the face shield open during mid-day as the hot wind will burn your face, eyes and nose. 

So while they may be able to ride in January it's still no tradeoff to nice northern summers.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
Re: Be glad you're in MN
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »
It's all about acclamation, cowpoke.   ;D
You'll get used to it.

For me, it was more of a struggle to get used to the cold again returning home from deployments.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:13:05 AM by Vander »

Offline tipster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »
Hi Matt,
Got myself into the site now, will be out riding with you and others rides this summer.
BTW, what are you doing down at the hot south?

safe ride!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Find riding companions at http://www.tsba.org/ . Watchout. Lots of very good riders.

Get up early and ride out to Banderas for breakfast at the Old Spanish Trail. Lots of riders launch out of this location. Notice the west is still alive and kicking. People riding horses in the downtown with belt holstered guns.  Then go out and ride the 3 Sisters (335,336,and 337).

Run up to Austin. Lots of coeds. Have a margarita on the deck of Sunsets. Swing down to Hippie Hollow the clothing optional beach on the lake. Swing down to 6th street for a great music and social scene. In my youth I remember doing burn outs on 6th street on a Saturday night.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
Ray - good encouragement there... will hit up the 3 sisters this weekend and maybe even see if 'I can find a local rider who want to tour me through the area. 

Then try to get up to Austin Sat night.  I think I got a tattoo on 6th St. real late at night a few years back...

I picked up some good short vented riding gloves today and that helps a lot.  Biggest thing right now is the pavement all throughout San Antonio gets extremely slick when it is real hot out.  You have to ride very smooth or things slide / spin.  Try to lay down any torque in 1st or 2nd gear through a turn and you will spin the tire easy. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:15:56 PM by carlson_mn »
- Matt from Richfield

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
There are a ton of riders in San Antonio area...  check out the site called Meetup.com.   Search for san antonio sportbike & you should be able to find someone to ride with by posting on there.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:20:06 PM by RCKT GRL »
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
Damn, I spent six months in San Antonio on a contract for hire situation.  Turned them down due to how boring I thought San Antonio was; should have enlisted Ray as a tour guide!

Texas Hill Country is not all that it is cracked up to be - was not impressed.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
There are a ton of riders in San Antonio area...  check out the site called Meetup.com.   Search for san antonio sportbike & you should be able to find someone to ride with by posting on there.

Sweet!  I found a group on there that I contacted.  Cool site, never heard of it before!
- Matt from Richfield