Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:22:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help! WTB-Not sure? Need some expert advice...  (Read 6846 times)

Offline smokechaser

• 507-261-2276
    • View Profile
Help! WTB-Not sure? Need some expert advice...
« on: June 14, 2012, 11:10:21 AM »
I need some advice/opinions...

Currently I have a 1993 Suzuki GSX-R 750 that I LOVE to ride.  But, looking at routes for group rides on this site, need to find something more comfortable for long rides.  I would like to attend with my GSX-R, but I would also like to be able to walk the next day!

I do not want to give up the performance of the sport bike.  I also need something to fit my 6'4", 220 lb body...

Oh, and of course I want it as inexpensive as possible!

Any comments, suggestions, advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Greg
You go, we go...

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
Re: Help! WTB-Not sure? Need some expert advice...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »
IMHO Any of the VFR's will do the trick, a little more upright, comfy, perform well, and not that spendy.
Push Harder

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
I'm guessing there is still a bunch of 6th gen VFR's to be had for a reasonable price.  Upgraded with the optional bags and trunk would make it your ultimate long distance sportbike.  Having owned one for 7 years, I can vouch for it's reliability and comfort to my 6' height.  You might find it a tad underpowered coming from a GSXR though (assuming the 93 model was fast and light.)

How aggressive of a rider are you?  Your size and weight would be suited for a well maintained used ST1100 or ST1300 as well, but it's a porker for tight cornering.

Offline slh7d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
Some of the naked type sport bikes tend to not have really low clipons (or have actual handle bars) and more room for the legs.   I have a nice 2004 919 i'd be willing to sell with adjustable rearsets....  :)

Z1000's are nice or maube an FZ1, etc etc.

Sheldon

2010 Ducati Streetfighter S

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
I ride an Aprilia Shiver on occasional long distance runs. 
Love it.  It is very comfortable and stands quite tall too.

It's extremely nimble, very torquey, and packed with technology (ride-by-wire, tri-mapping... ect, etc.)
There are tall touring screens available, but I roll with a small bikini Puig screen.
Givi makes mountings for luggage and Saddlemen make very nice bags to match.

As a 750cc L-twin it's not the fastest in the pack beyond 80 MPH, but that's not so important to me.
There are very few in this State with very limited local dealership support, but with AF1 as an information source and parts supplier it really doesn't matter.

I saw one on craigslist for around $6k.
Hope that helps.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
I'll throw out a vote for my current ride, a 2000-2002 Ninja ZX-6R (and 2005+ (?) as the ZZR-600); highly capable, good range (200 miles on 4.5 gallons), comfortable for the right people, and a great value.

a.s.

Offline smokechaser

• 507-261-2276
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »
IMHO Any of the VFR's will do the trick, a little more upright, comfy, perform well, and not that spendy.

I have been looking at the VFR's.  They look interesting.

You might find it a tad underpowered coming from a GSXR though (assuming the 93 model was fast and light.)

How aggressive of a rider are you?  Your size and weight would be suited for a well maintained used ST1100 or ST1300 as well, but it's a porker for tight cornering.

I would call it fast, but not light!  How aggressive is a tough question.  I am a brand new rider, but precision driving in the corners and using all of the tires is more appealing to me then fast and straight.

Some of the naked type sport bikes tend to not have really low clipons (or have actual handle bars) and more room for the legs.   I have a nice 2004 919 i'd be willing to sell with adjustable rearsets....  :)

Z1000's are nice or maube an FZ1, etc etc.

Sheldon

I am spoiled with the full faring and windshield on the GSX-R, not sure if I could do a naked style bike...

I ride an Aprilia Shiver on occasional long distance runs. 
Love it.  It is very comfortable and stands quite tall too.

It's extremely nimble, very torquey, and packed with technology (ride-by-wire, tri-mapping... ect, etc.)
There are tall touring screens available, but I roll with a small bikini Puig screen.
Givi makes mountings for luggage and Saddlemen make very nice bags to match.

As a 750cc L-twin it's not the fastest in the pack beyond 80 MPH, but that's not so important to me.
There are very few in this State with very limited local dealership support, but with AF1 as an information source and parts supplier it really doesn't matter.

I saw one on craigslist for around $6k.
Hope that helps.

I'll have to look more into these.  A little higher then I wanted to spend at this time...

I'll throw out a vote for my current ride, a 2000-2002 Ninja ZX-6R (and 2005+ (?) as the ZZR-600); highly capable, good range (200 miles on 4.5 gallons), comfortable for the right people, and a great value.

a.s.

How is the Ninja for power?  I would be a little worried dropping down to a 600 from the 750.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming!

You go, we go...

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »
It's plenty for me (seldom shift out of sixth when going through small towns @ 30mph) and I've been happy with it for 55k miles, but you'd have to compare it firsthand to see how it feels to you.  Lloyd has the ZZR-600 so he probably knows the specs / feel as well.  From back in that era:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/year-2000-world-supersport-shootout-15648.html

a.s.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »
I rode with a ZZR 600 on a circle of Lake Superior recently...  he never complained of discomfort, always held a lead position in the pack, and he'd often skip fueling stops.

That's a great recommendation.   :)

Offline EdgeRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 04:55:33 PM »

How is the Ninja for power?  I would be a little worried dropping down to a 600 from the 750.

Like most 600's, it's pretty tame below 8K,  but several people who have ridden my ZZR that were pretty impressed by the power above 9000 rpm.

Ray

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 06:36:27 PM »
If you're not looking to spend much, maybe a faired Bandit 1200S. 

However, if you think a GSXR750 is heavy I'm not even going to mention my bike.  In my opinion it is the ultimate long distance sport bike. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »
Why not buy a gel ed seat and a taller windshield. It makes a big difference.

Offline smokechaser

• 507-261-2276
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
However, if you think a GSXR750 is heavy I'm not even going to mention my bike.  In my opinion it is the ultimate long distance sport bike.

Dry weight on mine is around 460 lbs.  Heavier compared to newer GSXR's (my friend's 2005 750 is less than 360 lbs.)

Your bike is the FJR 1300, correct? Does the extra weight affect the performance in the corners?

Why not buy a gel ed seat and a taller windshield. It makes a big difference.

I have thought about a custom seat.  I would also have to look into handle bar risers to sit up straighter as well as switching to a standard style grip.
You go, we go...

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 12:49:04 AM »
Not sure what the range is of your budget? Since Vander threw out the Shiver, and you didn't seem scared off by Aprilia...I'll throw my (6'0 220#) current ride into the mix of bikes for you to investigate: Aprilia Falco. Not a full-on Sportbike, but still way more Sport than Tour. They are 1000cc (Rotax) V-Twin, with a reputation for reliability. There is one on Craigslist right now for $3250, within a couple hundred of what I paid for mine last fall, with the bonus Carbon Exhaust. As Vander stated, the AF1 forum (apriliaforum.com) is a wealth of info and a good bunch! At 6'4" it may be a bit "tight" on leg room?
Since a person ought to have a back-up plan, if I "needed" to buy another bike tomorrow, it would be tough to keep me away from an FZ1. There are some trade-offs between the previous gen FZ1s and current gen ('06+). You'd have to research/shop to decide which is the better "value" to you.

Happy Hunting!
+P/Wade
Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)

Offline Plus_P

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 01:05:13 AM »

Your bike is the FJR 1300, correct? Does the extra weight affect the performance in the corners?

Matt's modesty will likely prevent him from answering that question honestly, so I will...Yes, it makes him better! I was fortunate enough to ride with Matt and four others from here on a recent trip, all others on as sporty bikes as they make. He should be the poster-boy for Yamaha, and what the FJR is capable of. It was inspiring to watch Matt and the others ride, for the brief times I could see them after re-groups!

+Wade

Wade T. (Plus_P)
Crew Chief
www.cqcmotorsports.com

2011 GSXR750 (Wrench it II)
2008 CBR1000RR (Wrench it)
2006 GSX-R 600 (Track only)
2004 KLX110 (Ride it, winter)
2003 Aprilia Falco (Ride it)
1987 Yamaha FZ600 (Revived it, Sold it)
1982 Honda XL250R (Seized it, gave it away)