Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:28:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Requirements and Recommendations  (Read 2921 times)

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Fuel Requirements and Recommendations
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
I'm starting a new topic instead of continuing to trash Hope's cave-riding thread.  I'm posting a page from the 848 Streetfighter manual regarding fuel recommendations.  Worth noting is the requirement for 95 RON, or for those silly American bastages who refuse to adopt the standards of the rest of the world, 90 (RON+MON)/2.

Also of interest is the warning that using fuel with ethanol content over 10% is forbidden and will void the warranty.

I could start a whole 'nother thread on ethanol. :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 09:43:00 AM by beedawg »

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Requirements and Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »
Also of interest is the warning that using fuel with ethanol content over 10% is forbidden and will void the warranty.
Would there be any way to prove that someone was using fuel containing more then 10% ethanol? My owner's manual also states not to use more than 10% ethanol, 15% MTBE or 5% methanol and like his ^^^ states any fuel system or performance problems resulting from higher percentages are not covered by the warranty.

I've been hearing a lot about fuel and ethanol lately and a lot of people seem confused about what's ok and no ok. It's reached a point we have to plan which gas stations to go to now on group rides when traveling outside the cities. The last ride some people just refused to use lower rated gas and we drove around looking for "better" fuel for thier bikes whether they really required it or not.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
The last 3 new Kawasakis I have bought, going back to 2001, have all required higher octane gas per the manual. This wasn't the case with my Hondas. On rare occasions I had to put in 87, 88, or 89 octane gas in my Kawis but I noticed no ill effects. When storing a bike for a few months I always make sure the last couple tankfulls are nonoxy gas.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
One effect you might notice from putting 87 octane fuel in a bike that needs 91 is knocking, aka detonation.  But you won't notice that if your bike has a knock sensor and compensates for the detonation.

I have a couple complaints about the non-oxy fuel I buy around here.  [Edit: I need to mention that the only non-oxy I can get here is 91 octane.]  I was putting it my trainer bikes all the time, but I tried a few tanks of 87 and noticed the bikes started much better, especially in the cold.  [The trainer bikes' engines don't have a lot in common with our sportbike engines, so this observation might not have much relevance here.]   Lately I've been mixing 8 oz. of Seafoam in 6 gallons of 87-octane gas, hoping it won't spoil as quickly.  And I try to put only enough gas in the bikes to keep them from running out, so the gas is as fresh as possible.

My other complaint about non-oxy is that one of the stations here is charging a 40- to 45-cent premium over 87 octane.  I've paid as much as $4.20 this summer.  Not a big deal when I'm only using six gallons a week, and it's cheaper than adding Seafoam, but it still makes me feel like a sucker to pay such a premium. But then Casey's in Trimont was selling 91 non-oxy for 3.49 for a few weeks this summer.

I'm with Tony, though about putting non-oxy in it if I'm not planning on emptying the tank soon.

Hope, I'm not sure how a dealer or manufacturer would know you used 15% ethanol unless you brought it to them with E85 in the tank.

Brent
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:05:35 PM by beedawg »

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:45:52 PM »
One effect you might notice from putting 87 octane fuel in a bike that needs 91 is knocking, aka detonation.  But you won't notice that if your bike has a knock sensor and compensates for the detonation.
Brent

Spot on. I dont know why people get it in their head that their bike always needs high octane. The higher the octane, the slower, more controlled the flame travel will be, and be less prone to preignition. Low octane is more prone to preignition under the same circumstances as high octane would be, and low octane actually burns faster.

So, if you put high octane in a motor designed for low octane, the ignition curve will effectively be slowed down, and the motor will feel sluggish. On the other hand, a motor built and tuned for high octane, running on low octane can become a little peppier due to the fuel burning quicker. But after a point, detonation, and or preignition could occur if octane gets too low, or ignition advance too soon. Cooler (running temps) also allow using lower octane.

I rarely ever run high octane, even in my 1972 big block Buick, Ive adjusted the timing curve to allow for 87 octane.

And just because you have high compression IE 10-1 to 14-1, dosnt necessarily mean you need high octane, if the cam has enuf duration to bleed off cranking compression. Start getting around 160-180psi cranking compression and yes, you will probably need high octane.

Keep in mind too, when your paying a dollar more for that high octane, that you probably don't need, that will give you less performance if low octane is really required,....How "old" is that "better" gas, I mean really, how long does that fuel sit in those storage tanks. Most people dont put high octane in their cars and trucks.

Ill pump the freshest, lowest octane I can use. Except, for pumps that have ethanol free 91, vs 87-89w/ ethanol. Ethanol lowers mph.

Like what Joel said earlier. Even if you require high octane, low octane is always better than (pushing) no gas at all.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
what we do on trips is pick up some Octane boast, so that if if have had a stretch where you can only find the low octane, we will through that in. The other thing we do is have some fuel cans that we will fill with high octane fuel and mix that in with the low octane. I don't think that if your bike "requires" high octane and once in a while you put what ever octane in it (even with ethanol), it will hurt it, just put the damn gas in and go ride.

low octane > then pushing
Chris
----------