Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:30:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is Aerostitch worth the money??  (Read 12666 times)

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
Is Aerostitch worth the money??
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
 Just blew a side zipper on my 10 year old Joe Rocket Ballistic 2.0 overpants and was wondering if the extra money for some Aerostitch Darian overpants is worth spending?  Not interested in leather!  I can get the same basic pants at Dennis Kirk for 150 bucks or switch to the Darien for 300 bucks.  I am also looking at a new jacket in the very near future.  I have had an interest in Aerostitch for a while but is it worth the cash?? 
Paul Johnson

Offline feltonjohn

• View Profile
Re: Is Aerostitch worth the money??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
I have had my roadcrafter for about 5 years with no complaints. I recommend you ride up to Duluth and check out their gear and service for yourself. You get a 10% discount for taking a nice ride and buying in person! I think it is worth the money.

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »
I have been to the store in the past but the price was way out of my budget.  Now I can afford to get it but wondering if it is worth the extra money.
Paul Johnson

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:56:23 PM »
'Stich gear lasts longer than any other textile brand I have owned
I usually sell my used stuff on ebay for more than 50% of retail and then buy new
Ebay has deals occasionally so you could buy cheap, try and then decide.  http://motors.shop.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors-/6000/i.html?_nkw=Aerostich
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
I personally am not a fan of Aerostich... mostly because of the high prices.

Lots of other solid textile choices out there:
Olympia
Teiz Motorsports (the Navigator line is getting great reviews)
Rev It

... realize I'll probably get blasted for not supporting the "stich" as I have many friends that love theirs.  I'm just agreeing with your hesitations to take the plunge.

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:18:40 AM »
I have always liked Aerostitch gear but it took me a while to pull the trigger on getting a suit due to the pricing of their stuff.

I bought mine in the summer of 2010 & haven't regretted it since.  I should wear it more often but need to get the sizing checked.

They have had to adjust the suit one other time & did so without charge to me so I'm a fan of the customer service they have provided.

But like Vander said, there are other quality manufacturers out there so it's worth checking them all out.
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:30:43 AM »
Rode with 10 German's on an Edelweiss ("Canadian Rockies") tour many years ago.  They were so impressed with my Aerostich over pants and jacket, six of them ordered  similar before returning to the Motherland.

You get what you pay for.

Offline snowflap

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
In my opinion, yes, Stich makes great stuff and they stand behind it. I bought my Darien pants in 2001 while in town for my 10-year class reunion and had a 20-25 mph lowside while wearing them in April 2002. They scuffed a bit, but I used them as-is for 10 years. It took until 2010 for them to start leaking throught the right knee area where they were damaged.

I was in Duluth over Thanksgiving last year and brought them to the store. I showed one of the technicians where it was leaking. After looking at them, he told me that the service life was about done - showed me the discoloration of the pants around the knees and told me that abrasion resistance is in tact, but the Gore-Tex lining is no longer very effective with vapor control/waterproofing. He told me I must have had them a while ... I told him when I bought them, 10 years prior.

He put a Gore-Tex patch on the area (lower leg) and also glued on some new velcro for a knee pad that has been missing for 3-4 years. All was done while I waited and drank a few cups of coffee, and the charge was $0 10 years after the sale. I was thanked for being a customer.

My secret to a happy marriage? Get in enough trouble to be sent to the garage.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Here's my example of above and beyond customer service from Teiz Motorsports:
I had an issue with a Teiz jacket... a common failure that they had been experiencing with a pocket zipper jamming.  They ended up refunding me entirely for the purchase price and I was able to keep the jacket with the busted pocket zipper.

Teiz Motorsports and some great stuff, too.

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »
I picked up the two piece Roadcrafter. I have ridden in weather with icicles hanging from my helmet to 112 degree temps across the desert.

I should get up to Aerostich and pick another up sometime. It's been twelve seasons and over 100,000 miles.
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »
Thanks for all the input!!  I did some research on Aerostich and Teiz gear.  I will most likely go with Aerostich because of the longevity of the gear and it is water proof.  The Teiz gear is not waterproof and I would spend most of what I saved on rain gear.   I could always buy the same Joe Rocket gear I had but I am looking to up grade.  Thank you all for advice!!
Paul Johnson

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:11:11 AM »
The Teiz gear is not waterproof and I would spend most of what I saved on rain gear. 

Dang man... I didn't know that.
They used to come with a pretty high tech breathable rain liner.

I wouldn't mind a review from you after you get your new Aerostich gear... possible?

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 09:09:38 AM »
Dead cow.....The ultimate in crash protection, but stich or whatever has its place too...
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
Dead cow.....The ultimate in crash protection, but stich or whatever has its place too...

Dead kangaroo, I thought.

But that's for abrasion protection.  More stuff happens in a crash (impact, penetration...etc.) and in my opinion, leather is NOT always the best way to go.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
IMpact protection comes from the armor.

Slide protection comes from the material and leather of some sort will always be king.

You sure don't see any racers wearing stich..... :nutkick:
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!