Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is Aerostitch worth the money??  (Read 12667 times)

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: Is Aerostitch worth the money??
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
No, but you did used to see racers wearing woolen jerseys, pudding bowls and goggles.   Things might change.....
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
Things might change.....

Ed Zachary.

Those airbag jackets are pretty cool.  That's some serious impact protection.

And I do agree with you Lloyd... leather is king. 
But IMO it is not so necessary in (what should be) a lower speed crash on the street.
Less speed/ Less slide... ya dig?

But what CAN happen is sliding into a guardrail, or getting caught in those cable barriers, or embedding a semi-truck grill (yikes).
Would leather matter there?

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
I wear my gear damn near all the time.   I commute to work, run errands and go for rides.  I need gear to over my clothes, that is why I do not want leather.  If I get hit I don't think it will matter what kind of gear I have on for impact protection.  I have had full leather in the past and I prefer the textile gear.   
Paul Johnson

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
I can do a review during my ownership of the suit.  I have heard they are very stiff when new and the collar rubs.
Paul Johnson

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »
I can do a review during my ownership of the suit.  I have heard they are very stiff when new and the collar rubs.

Mine is barely broken in since I don't wear it often enough.  But that is likely due to needing some adjustments to it which I should do over the off season.  However I have never had any issue with it being stiff or the collar rubbing the wrong way.  I will say they do fit better as time goes on though.

I did go for the upgraded armor in the knees, shoulders, elbows, & added hip pads as well for additional impact protection.  I like the flexibility of the one piece stitch but do agree that leather handles sliding a bit better in a crash.

It doesn't transfer heat as much so should cause less injury under it compared to textiles in a slide.  I don't have a comparison study or anything but from past experience of customers showing me both after a crash & comparing injuries that is what I've noticed.
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 05:17:39 AM »
No, but you did used to see racers wearing woolen jerseys, pudding bowls and goggles.   Things might change.....

not to fan the flames or anything, just thought pudding bowls was funny as hell early in the morning.
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
Textile has it's place.  I rode 12 hours one day last week in South Dakota.  Four of those hours were 108 degrees.  Would not want to be wearing leather that day.

I've owned Riderwarehouse, Tourmaster, Joe Rocket and First Gear textiles.  I crashed into a car and slid over 100 feet at 55 mph down the road in the Joe Rocket Ballistic textile and it did not rip or abraid, just a minor scuff.  I would not have any fear about textiles holding up in a crash on the street.  It's downside is that it's probably going to be trashed after one crash.  I guess if you feel like you are going to crash many times, then go with leather.

I would seriously consider all manufacturers.  Do not "fall in love" with the notion of owning a Aerostch.  Personally I think they are a tad overrated compared to the rest.  One of my biggest beefs is they are the same design for almost 20 years now and they do look dated next to the most modern textile designs that have more pockets and style.  On the positive side, they are local and they will back up any defects that show up.  The thread holding the zippers on the wrist started failing on my Roadcrafter after two years and they replaced both arms while I went to lunch at Grandmas.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:12:40 PM by pkpk »

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
It's downside is that it's probably going to be trashed after one crash.  I guess if you feel like you are going to crash many times, then go with leather.

None of us "plan" to crash...but if/when we do any gear is better than no gear!!

Do not "fall in love" with the notion of owning a Aerostch.  Personally I think they are a tad overrated compared to the rest.  One of my biggest beefs is they are the same design for almost 20 years now and they do look dated next to the most modern textile designs that have more pockets and style.

I would humbly say that if they have been around that long & the design hasn't change but they are still selling say's something.

I'm not say its the best but it's worth a shot I think.  I'm not a die hard by any means but do like their stuff.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
]I would humbly say that if they have been around that long & the design hasn't change but they are still selling say's something.

I'm not say its the best but it's worth a shot I think.  I'm not a die hard by any means but do like their stuff.

Please note that I did not say their stuff is bad.  But I do think they have achieved a status where riders stop demanding new features or technical improvements and just go with the status quo.  In my opinion, the First Gear TPG is more technically superior (zippers have a sealed rubber exterior for example), an inner liner that functions as a sharp looking evening jacket, many more pockets and is competitively priced. 

My point is, for the price, you owe it so yourself to shop around.  You might be amazed at the neat features and styles that are coming from half a dozen other riding gear makers while Riderwarehouse seems content with the current line. 

FYI, I bought a FG TPG Ranier coat two years ago.  Best coat I have ever owned (including the Stich I wore for 8 years.)  http://www.firstgear-usa.com/TPG/CSSRainier.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:42:57 AM by pkpk »

Offline DaleB

• View Profile
    • Motorcycle Touring for Beginners
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 12:54:42 PM »
FYI, I bought a FG TPG Ranier coat two years ago.  Best coat I have ever owned (including the Stich I wore for 8 years.)  http://www.firstgear-usa.com/TPG/CSSRainier.html

I bought a FG TPG Teton (the waist length version of the Ranier) two years ago. I also have a 10 year old Roadcrafter. I still wear them both and like them both for different reasons. The Teton has better fit and finish than the stich. It also has lots of pockets (I like lots of pockets), adequate but not great ventilation for hot days, and the rain proof zippers are pretty nice.

The only real down side to the TPG is that the material probably does not have the abrasion protection that the heavier stich material provides. The TPG armour doesn't seem as good as the stich but it is CE certified so it may be fine. I have not crash tested either of these so these are just my guesses.

I think that I read that Aerostich is making changes to the roadcrafter including rain proof zippers.

Dale B
DaleB

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
The only real down side to the TPG is that the material probably does not have the abrasion protection that the heavier stich material provides. The TPG armour doesn't seem as good as the stich but it is CE certified so it may be fine. I have not crash tested either of these so these are just my guesses.

Regarding the TPG armour, FG is using the new d3o shock absorption technology which reduces the bulkiness of older CE armour without sacrificing the capability.  I would expect if Riderwarehouse ever updates the stich, they would go with the same thing.   http://www.d3o.com/

Regarding abrasion, the FG Ranier is 600 Denier Nylon and the Darian is 500 Denier Cordura.  Cordura sounds about 5% more abrasion resistant than nylon but maybe the 20% higher thread count makes the nylon more resistant?  I confess to not knowing and the info on the web can be spun either way (pun). 

I think that I read that Aerostich is making changes to the roadcrafter including rain proof zippers.  Dale B

That would be good and a sign Riderwarehouse is awakening to the competition.  But I also recall the rumored "introduction" of the RoadCrafter III in 1998, so I won't be waiting for this.  ;)

Offline Pipes

• 2008 DL1000 V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 07:02:13 PM »
Do not "fall in love" with the notion of owning a Aerostch. 

Thank you for saying that!  I am infatuated with Aerostich.  My Joe Rocket pant lasted me 10 years of motorcycle riding in the spring, summer and fall and 4 wheeling in the winter.  Plus the wife said they cost what!!!  I will most likly go to Dennis Kirk to get the latest version of the same pants I had.  I work across the street from there.  I thank all of you for your input!   
Paul Johnson

Offline snowflap

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:43 PM »
Yesterday I picked up a Roadcrafter that showed up on Craigslist in my size. It's in great shape, and much better priced than a new one! Took a ride in today's blustery, 48 degree weather. With only a tee, jeans, and a light fleece jacket underneath I was warm and comfortable. I didn't know how drafty my until-now gear combination was until riding in this setup.
My secret to a happy marriage? Get in enough trouble to be sent to the garage.

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:23 AM »
I didn't know how drafty my until-now gear combination was until riding in this setup.

So good....bad....otherwise?

Offline snowflap

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »
I didn't know how drafty my until-now gear combination was until riding in this setup.

So good....bad....otherwise?

Most recently I was matching one of 3 leather jackets and Darien pants. I would call it satisfactory or I wouldn't have been using that combination for the last 11 years. I won't abandon that combination. Not to state the obvious, but in cooler weather, when riding in the one-piece I no longer have to ensure I am "sealed" around my waist. There are many times I've adjusted gear after a few miles (e.g. tuck shirts and/or fleece into the pants) and even then it was a place where body temp could exit, even if I eliminated a direct cool-air blast. 
My secret to a happy marriage? Get in enough trouble to be sent to the garage.