Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:39:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: advice needed - you guys might understand  (Read 6196 times)

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
advice needed - you guys might understand
« on: October 13, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
My grandmother just passed away, in southern California...  I've been dreaming about riding there to visit the relatives out there anyways but haven't yet made the time.  Is it crazy to do it now?  The problem is that it would definitely not be vacation and it's difficult to justify spending the time on the road.  I could out-and-back it on an airplane in as little as 3 days and probably feel like I was able to spend more quality time visiting...  The bike would be more like 6 days, 1.5 riding each way and probably less quality visiting.

The 2 things going for the bike are I'd be travelling light anyways, and airplane tickets are fairly costly; a set of tires and gas might be a couple hundred bucks less a plane ticket.   I'm always up for adventure, so I put that in the bike column too.  There are some important negatives: the "danger", the time, the fact that it wouldn't be relaxing or an interesting route (in a lot of ways).  Like many of us though, I'd pretty much rather ride anywhere than fly or drive.

Crazy to consider?  Love to hear your thoughts.

a.s.

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
Re: advice needed - you guys might understand
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:48:38 AM »
i would fly, just me. sounds like you would have to slab to the coast but not sure. (have never ridden there)If it was important to me to be there, i would want to be there and catch one of the trips out west or somewhere next year. hope that makes sense and sorry for your loss.

Joel
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:50:50 AM by Joel S »
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »
My sincerest condolences for your loss, good sir.  A nice long motorcycle ride may be quite therapeutic for you.

My concern, is the time of year... we're at the tipping point where day-by-day weather condition can really hamper a motorcycle trip.  The cold and rain may not STOP you, but it will slow you down.  And the mountain passes are probably closed by now (maybe).

With a concrete destination and timeline (making it to the visitation/ funeral on time) I personally would avoid a long trip on a motorcycle.  Even one hiccup and you could miss your targeted arrival time.  And in my experience, even in good weather there is always at least ONE hiccup, you know?

That's my thoughts.  Good luck to you.  I wish you the best.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:38:25 AM »
I have made this trip a few times. I have always done it in the spring time which is like making it now. If your taking a sportbike be sure to put some good long lasting touring tire on. You have at least 4,000 miles to cover. Avon's would be good for this. They work good and wear like iron. I would plan on 2 days out and 2 days back. If it snows start adding time. You are going to me taking the interstate all the way so if it snows they clear the road right away. But it still could take a day or two.
I don't know if you ever taken a long trip before but you need to know how to pack. You don't want this part of the trip to slow you down. You not going to need just your daily needs. Your going to need cold weather gear. It take a lot of room. It is going to get cold up the the hills at 12,000 ft. And to make time your going to be riding at night. so when the sun goes down it is going to get even colder. When this starts to happen you are going to want to ride faster to shorten the suffering. Your going to need a radar detector. I would take a few more days to give yourself some time to look around.
Good luck with it.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
Sorry for your family's loss.  I would definitely fly.  Save a trip like this for a better time of the year and when you feel better about doing it and can have more fun.  Also, I am sure a plane ticket would be cheaper. 

I did a 1,000 mile day coming back from TX this summer and I don't think it's fun, but that's just me.  Slabbing it for hours and hours with a sore ass gets pretty old on mile 700-1000 when you're tired.  You'd have to do two of those back to back to get there in two days.  Two 18 hour days most likely on the bike.  You'll have to get hotel rooms each night, gas is $4 a gallon, meals and you'll have a half shot set of tires in the end. 

Probably a trip you'd enjoy but enjoy more without a set time line involved. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
Vince, you be the man if you have the kahunas to go through the Rockies and Sierras in the middle of October.  No way would I consider this trip on a bike this time of year unless my route was going to cross the Rockies at the far southern border of Colorado. 

I rode through the Rockies the few days after Labor Day and there were already systems wreaking havoc at the highest elevations.  A friend reported they have already closed some passes in the Sierras.  At this time of year, the systems are too unpredictable and poor luck could leave you stuck in a motel room.  Plus the whole vibe of attending your Grandma's funeral might distract you from a good ride.

Offline snowflap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
I rode through the Rockies the few days after Labor Day and there were already systems wreaking havoc at the highest elevations.  A friend reported they have already closed some passes in the Sierras.  At this time of year, the systems are too unpredictable and poor luck could leave you stuck in a motel room.  Plus the whole vibe of attending your Grandma's funeral might distract you from a good ride.

+1. Wait and plan a good trip you'll enjoy instead of using the passing of your grandmother as an opportunity that is simply something you endured. It's late in the season to head West/SW, and tough to plan a route that gets there within 2 days of riding that doesn't at some point exceed 6-8,000 feet, minimum. Mid week forecast for central Utah and northern New Mexico is lows in the 20s, 30s in Flagstaff. Even west from Oklahoma panhandle would leave you with two very long days, and who knows what you'll encounter on the way home. How much faith you do place in the forecast? 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:51:19 PM by snowflap »
My secret to a happy marriage? Get in enough trouble to be sent to the garage.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
thank you guys for the condolances and valuable input.  the decision is probably already made for me; my dad, brother and sister all want to drive :/  :)  so unless the schedule doesn't allow for it, we'll be doing it on 4 wheels.  from the sounds of it i should investigate chains, as we'll not have 4-wheel drive. ;)

thanks again,

andy

Offline Jam-Bro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
Sorry for your loss Andy. Fly or drive but don't ride.
Take care
'13 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
Sorry for your loss Andy.  A ride like that can be therapeutic but like many have said it can be problematic as well.

Did everyone forget about the southern route though?

Usually when we drive to see my sister in LA we take that route just to avoid any issues w/weather & such.

Sure it isn't as fun on a bike but Route 66 for a lot of the way could be cool.

Sounds like your plans are set though & I wish you guys a safe trip!!
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Neub

• Randy Neubauer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 07:23:20 PM »
Andy, sorry for your loss.  In regards to chains, forget about them.  I lived in Denver 12 years and went into the mtns on a regular basis with my company front wheel drive car (with just all season tires).  If the highways get bad enough that you cant get around with just that they shut the the highways down.  So unless you are going to be somewhere in the backwoods on a country road you don't need a 4WD or chains. 
2009 BMW K1300s

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
If it were me, I would pack a lot of cold weather gear and slab it there the fastest way to get to the funeral on time. Then I would enjoy my way back home by taking it slow and checking out sights, etc... that is if I had that much time to spend. I know it's hard losing a loved one but sometimes a little throttle therapy helps clear the mind too.

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
Sorry for your loss.
I would not recommend riding out there this time of year, they are skiing in the mountains already.
Chris
----------

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
Ice is forecasted for North Platte this week.  Nothing scares me more on a bike.  ;)

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 01:44:48 AM »
I still am wondering if people are forgetting about the southern route that goes thru IA, KS, NM, & AZ along the way.

I would think that route should be pretty clear other than maybe some rain & such.

Here is a route out to LA my family has done in the past.
Sure it would be a lot of slabbing but OTW back could be a lot of fun finding fun off shoots.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=St+Paul,+MN&daddr=37.66783,-97.75761+to:33.46216,-112.12194+to:Los+Angeles,+CA&hl=en&ll=38.976492,-105.424805&spn=15.527547,31.420898&sll=33.785996,-112.307739&sspn=2.077231,3.927612&geocode=FWfwrQIdWo9z-imfN-nkztSyUjEpLto_0pFyyA%3BFfbDPgIdVlYs-imPhBIf79S6hzEng1GAlg9SEQ%3BFZCX_gEdrCdR-SldGqYIlhMrhzEtXcktJmdHdw%3BFYqYBwIdm77z-CkT2ifcXcfCgDH0CEYlb98v4g&oq=St.+Paul&gl=us&mra=dvme&mrsp=2&sz=9&via=1,2&t=m&z=6
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:51:45 AM by Tumbler »
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!