Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:07:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: advice needed - you guys might understand  (Read 6199 times)

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
Re: advice needed - you guys might understand
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »
I still am wondering if people are forgetting about the southern route that goes thru IA, KS, NM, & AZ along the way.

It's already been mentioned at least twice in this thread.  It sounded like he didn't have that much time to work with and a southern route would probably add an extra day.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 09:21:44 AM »
Thank you all!  That southern route only adds 4 hours :)  but alas, we're all set to take the minivan via denver/vegas.  So it looks like I need to get an Out West ride scheduled for next summer :)  Why is it so hard to make the time for the best things in life?  :/

a.s.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
Argh, of course, you are going to So Calif so you are not deviating the route by going further south.  My point of reference was the time we went through New Mexico on the way back from Sacramento.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »
Thank you all!  That southern route only adds 4 hours :)  but alas, we're all set to take the minivan via denver/vegas.  So it looks like I need to get an Out West ride scheduled for next summer :)  Why is it so hard to make the time for the best things in life?  :/

a.s.

Drive safe.
Chris
----------

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »
Would not want to have been riding the Rockies this week.  From Montana to New Mexico had snow and almost up to a foot above 7000 feet in some passes. 

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »
yup yup...  the way out was balmy through the night, mid-70's once we were down into Iowa.  The way back, the exact opposite, cold (like 19F) in the high desert with snow from the rockies east for a couple hundred miles I think...  the southern route might have worked.  even with 4 of us it was difficult and on the bike i'd have needed more time, the better part of a day on either side I suppose.

I haven't had time to analyze all of the data collected en route, but I do know the following:

Total Miles: 4,033 miles
Total Fuel: 198.52 gallons
Total Fuel Cost: $751.19
Average Fuel Cost: $3.78
Average MPG: 20.3 miles per gallon
Fuel Cost per person: $187.80

The most expensive gas was obtained in Hesparia, CA ($4.33/gal) and the cheapest was Stuart, IA ($3.31/gal).  We stopped at, and then decided against, a place outside of Vegas with $5/gal.

Traffic stops: 2 - nice work, Zac (my brother).
Traffic tickets: 0 - even nicer work, Zac!

We made it out in 28 hours, and back in 29 hours and 15 minutes.

We didn't see any live animals that were larger than a fox but we did see a few dead deer, a big black pig, and some elk/deer in hunter's trucks.  I don't believe we had any "close calls" or other incidents of note.  The snow in the mountains was substantial and covered way more distance than I thought it would but the roads were cleared (a bit wet) by the time we got to that part.

I did end up with a few pictures -- many sincere thanks to Christopher (5 year old cousin) for getting great shots of the grownups.  I had to do some work to the images from the first day due to the way those were stored on the camera (and I'm sure I didn't do it exactly right as this was my first time doing it) but I didn't do any tweaking for the rest of them.  Anyways, you guys might enjoy a few of them...

Once you click into these links, you can click on one of the square images to bring up a fuller version, then you can use your arrow keys to flip through them.

The trip out:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8gydlh31yx13mn7/u_zO8tb1zE
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pm20403728y4o92/2rPeZVS2jE

Visiting CA:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bukubsxunrryoai/gGMTby2SaA
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9hpuzv5g1mjcbdv/nIo1BURNnR

The trip back: 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ykscowtr3tl52ov/TxRG_oVaUs

a.s.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:16:35 PM by aschendel »

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
nice pics dude, you guys hauled ass and made pretty good time.  That minivan doesn't get the greatest mileage compared to the newer ones I guess, but looked comfortable.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride