Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:59:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The "Wave"  (Read 6403 times)

Offline ARS

• memory's the second thing to go I forget the first
    • View Profile
The "Wave"
« on: October 23, 2012, 12:38:34 AM »
O.K.  I’ve been out of riding for around 20 years and I guess in the last two decades there seems to have been some sort of a disconnect between “Harley” riders and the “Rice burners”.  I’ve been accustom to waving to every biker coming my way and most return a friendly wave, with the exception of 75% of the Harley riders (unofficial pole).  When I say “Harley” this include many of the imported cruisers.   I’ve been ignored and even glared at!?!  At first I guess I was somewhat irritated, but after a while I found myself smiling.  It reminds me of the old show “Little House on the Prairie” where Nellie the snobby little rich girl tromps around town with her new dress (made in America I guess) and Laura Ingalls in her shabby farmer drab cross paths and snare at each other.
Hey, it’s less about image and more about the fun factor. . .you go Laura!
I’m still waving
Best Regards,
Bill

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
Re: The "Wave"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »
I'm with you.  I still wave too.

There is a theory out there that the cruiser riders can't tell the difference between the new scooters and sportbikes... so now they only wave to fellow cruiser riders to save face.

One thing I noticed, though?  No one waves back when I'm on my dual sport.   ;D  Oh well.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:24:32 AM »
Don't wave because you expect something in return.  Just wave to be friendly.  If you aren't expecting something in return you won't get offended if you don't see them wave back.

I wave at everyone including trikes and scooters.  I even turn and wave at riders whom I just overtook.

My observations are;
*it is an antiquated custom, do you wave at cars when riding or driving?!
*more cruisers on the road so it is easier to think that whole category of bikes is snubbing you.
*some riders only return waves.  If they are slow seeing you, they wave late (sometimes not visible to you).
*if you wave at a new or un-confident rider in a corner, they will not/can not wave back for fear of loosing control.
*the a-holes that don't wave back aren't worth worrying about.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:26:18 AM by Aprilian »
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »
Want I have seen is if I wave in most cases get a return wave. I still think it is a good idea because it keeps us as one group. Harley riders are differant for sure. I have notice that when I ride mine and I always wear a helmet that not all Harley riders wave back. That in this group, the ones that don't are the ones that are not wearing a helmet. Harley riders that wear helmets almost always return a wave.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:35:11 PM by vince »

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »
I don't wave back much.  I rarely wave first.  I'm not sure why there exists any compelling argument for waving.  Sure, I ride two wheels and so do they but that doesn't bind me in some sort of fraternal order with anyone else.  If they are on a straight pipe bike with no protective gear, they have little in common with me and are not in my same interest group anyway.

I save the waves for the following:
1.  Little kids in cars or playing in yards,
2.  Farmers out working
3.  Cage drivers who pull off the side of the road to let me pass easily.
4.  Cage drivers who had enough time to turn left in front of me, but decided to wait a bit longer because I'm on a motorcycle.
5.  Bicyclists who stay as far right as possible in single file.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
5.  Bicyclists who stay as far right as possible in single file.

;D
I was on my Trek one day and out of habit waved to a motorcyclist.  I was very surprised to get a wave back.

Offline ARS

• memory's the second thing to go I forget the first
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
Mmmmaybe it’s an open air thing?  When I once owned a Jeep Wrangler it was a “Jeep Thing” to wave to each other.  In the fishing boat the “wave” happens all the time.  I’ll put on a helmet the next time I go fishing and let you know the results. ;D

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »
Reminds me of this one time this lady was wildly waving at me across an intersection.  We couldn't figure out what her deal was until I realized we were both driving the same late 90's red Pontiac Montana van.  I waved back, simply to say that I had now met someone totally proud of their POS GM van.

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
I've noticed in other parts of the US all bikes wave. Seems just around here were the harley crew doesn't say Hi.

Anyways,

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy. You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool?! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers.

And wanna know who else I'm not waving at? Those guys with the helmets with the loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands).

And isn't that what really makes riding so special?
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
....on that note, does anyone else use hand signals In there car? Windows down of course
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
LOLs.  Roger I didn't think your keyboard had that many letters on it!

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 03:15:48 PM »
I've noticed in other parts of the US all bikes wave. Seems just around here were the harley crew doesn't say Hi.

Anyways,

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community? a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy. You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool?! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers.

And wanna know who else I'm not waving at? Those guys with the helmets with the loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands).

And isn't that what really makes riding so special?

Wonderful satire, Roger!

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »

Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v

Roger
I still dislike forums.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »

Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v

LOL, yup I knew he didn't give the time to type up all of that.  Google a paragraph and every motorcycle forum in existence pops up.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
It's been around for over 8 years.
Roger
I still dislike forums.