Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:17:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Near Misses  (Read 1703 times)

Offline ARS

• memory's the second thing to go I forget the first
    • View Profile
Near Misses
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »
The recently shared discussions about accidents are a wonder and selfless act of individuals sharing their misfortune with the hopes that we may all learn something.  This got me thinking. . .
. . .at my job we're suppose to report all accidents and near misses.  The overall goal is to learn from each incident so we can possibly prevent it from repeating itself.  I'd like to share a near miss I had a couple of weeks ago on my C14.

Heading to my job in St. Paul on my favorite back road from Princeton early one very windy morning I was taking a familiar bend in the road when I dimmed my lights for an oncoming car.  When I passed the car I turned my high beams back on just in time to see one of those green recycle bins blown out onto the road brush very close to my right foot peg!  I know I should've turned around to kick the bin out of the road, but my mind was too busy thinking how lucky I was.

Lesson learned (relearned):  Don't out run your headlights accounting for low beams in a turn.

Please share your near misses so we can all learn and live to learn some more.

Bill

Offline ARS

• memory's the second thing to go I forget the first
    • View Profile
Re: Near Misses
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
I should've posted this in "Safety and Riding tip" Jared's sting =>Sharing Safety "Moments". . . Newbies!!! :o

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
Re: Near Misses
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »
No one else is gonna chime in?  ???

Well here's one then, also at night. A few weeks ago I was coming home at night and rounding a left sweeper in my neighborhood. As you turn the corner the street also goes up a steep hill. I saw headlights coming down the hill as I was approaching the corner. But as I rounded the corner I realized the oncoming car was now in my lane and planning to turn into a driveway. So there I was with headlights in my eyes blinding me and had to hit the brakes to avoid becoming a hood ornament.

Lesson learned is I probably needed to be going slower. I was on a road/corner I've been up and down a million times and comfortable riding and was going too fast given it was not only dark but in a neighborhood.

2011 Honda CBR 250R