Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:07:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sensitive Topic  (Read 4013 times)

Offline kemptar

• 2000 BMW K1200RS
    • View Profile
Sensitive Topic
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »
Hello,
Just went for a great 1 hour ride this afternoon up around Hwy 53 north of Duluth today since it was about 50F today! Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good seat cover? I'm sitting a bit more forward on my new bike than I'm used to and it started getting a bit uncomfortable towards the end of the ride. Specifically, if anyone could recommend a seat cover that would benefit a male, that would be great!
I've scoured the internet in search of a nice seat-cover or pair of padded pants or something, and came up empty-handed. I'm turning to you now, MNMSTA.
Not that I want to have any more kids, but I don't want to be singing soprano after a long ride if you catch my drift.
Thanks for your input!

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
Re: Sensitive Topic
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
You could ship it off to somebody who does stock seat mods like Spencer's Seats, and ask him to lower it an inch in the back so you're not always sliding forward.  He did good work on a seat of my last bike for $75. 

Otherwise I'm sure there's lots of aftermarket options.  I really like Sergeant Seats from the couple bikes I got to ride with them.  Not as hard as a Corbin but firm enough to prevent hot/dead spots.  Good luck to ya. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:58:54 AM »
Have you tried "seat calisthenics"? One trick I use is to move around on the seat (only when on tame roads and prudent conditions) from time to time. These tricks work for me:
1. Standing on the foot-pegs for a mile or so.
2. Shifting my behind to different areas of the seat.
3. Dangling one leg off the foot peg, then the other. Dangling both legs off the pegs. When I'm bored on a straight stretch of road, I might dangle both feet of the pegs and see how close I can get them to the pavement without touching.
4. Partial standing. Use your legs to remove 90% of your weight off the seat, yet still maintaining contact with the seat.
5. Ride more often and for longer distances. Like any muscle group, your glutes get stronger the more you use them.

Some readers may object to these techniques. If so, don't do them. :)

Referred to as "that ass" more than once,
Greg
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:11:33 AM »
That ass! Greg are you sure someome isn't just looking at your ass? Anyway like Greg said, just get more time on the bike and it will get better. Give me a call when your going out, if ya want some company. 391 5500
Mike
Push Harder

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »
Don't underestimate the contribution of seamless and wicking underwear.  You could try bicycle shorts or go higher end and purchase a few shorts from LDComfort.  The best seat or seat mods in the world won't do much good if you're sitting on a strategically placed seam for hours.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »
  I love flat seats-like old GS Suzukis! For the most part they don't exist anymore.  My Futura has a great seat but my ancient bony arse still gets sore. My solution is a sheepskin with a gel pad under it. The added thickness also allows me to slide back and do the ass up "Doctor" position-especially when slabbing.GJ ::)
john pierson

Offline kemptar

• 2000 BMW K1200RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »
Thanks for all the great tips guys!
I tried Spencers Mods, and they wouldn't touch a bmw seat. Checked out some other seat options and they look great, so I might pick one up after I put a few miles on the one I have.
I'll also try some aerobics every so often. It did seem like I had forgotten how to walk after extended riding, so waking up the lower half is sage advice.
My dad said he used sheep skin before also and it worked well. I may be skinnin' a sheep here before doing any serious trips.
When I went out around the block today I wore some good-ol fasioned Zubas under my armored pants and that made a big difference! I was wearing jeans under them before and I think that'll be the last time I do that. With the Zubas it felt like I was wearing PJ's on the road. Great day for riding up here, btw... 50F!!!

Anyhow, thanks for helping out a greenhorn like myself, I really appreciate it. Mike I'll give ya a call when I have more than 1 hour to myself and my wife lets me loose on the road!  :D

Offline Neub

• Randy Neubauer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »
I never wear jeans or cargo shorts under my riding gear.  It is always padded bicycle shorts or in colder weather padded cold weather bicycling tights.  I watch for sales at Nashbar.com and Pricepoint.com both bicycling web sites
2009 BMW K1300s

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »
Mesh workout pants and textile pants seem to work well for me. I can't stand just wearing jeans and riding, I always get too sweaty "down there" lol
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
TMI folks, TMI....
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »
TMI folks, TMI....
"Sensitive topic". C'mon you know what you were getting into when you clicked to open read the thread
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:55 PM »
Speaking of which, I'll exploit the opportunity to recall the time Brent tried pantyhose.  I'm sure he will eventually tire of my memory.  :D

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:06 PM »
Are you leaning against the bars while riding?

When you support your upper body by leaning on the bars it can allow your back to curve, which compacts your front. Ideally you want to support your upper body with your core and limit pressure on the bars to when you are steering. To ride with your core, your upper body needs to be balanced front to back. The majority of your weight will be carried by your glutes if you ride using your core to support your upper body.

Offline kemptar

• 2000 BMW K1200RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 11:55:19 PM »
I do tend to relax my core when I'm riding. I'll catch myself though and correct my posture, but slouching is my default. I'll keep an eye out to see how much I lean on the bars.
All this info has been really helpful guys, thanks again. I've learned a lot from riding posture to pantyhose!

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »
   What Ray hinted at (ERGOS) is extremely important.  What % of riders don't fit their bike? My Futura fits me so well that I modded my '81 GS1100 & GL650 to get the peg,bar,seat relationship as close as possible.  How many folks just try sitting in the showrrom and choose their ride that way? "Hey this Cruiser fits me just like my barcalounger"!  Put your B'lounger on yer trailer and head for Sturgis! (Cabin fevered rants of an 'OLD FART'!). GJ :o
john pierson