Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do I do the AA Meeting introduction?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
Do I do the AA Meeting introduction?
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:54:58 PM »
Kind of feels like it...

I'm Ken.  Been around a bit - was the chair of Colorado HSTA a decade ago.  I've met a few of you.  If nothing else, you might have seen me at a track day on my 1100GS.  Sold it, now I'm on an RT.  Done a few rallies, a couple of SaddleSores, and one BunBurner Gold.

I haven't argued the benefits of Dunlop vs Bridgestone vs Michelin in a while so I'm back online.   ::)

@Kemptar from Esko - you can either suffer long distances or you can be comfortable.  My suggestion would be to buy a used 'Stitch off an old, soggy BMWMOA member.  They're expensive for good reason.  I purchased my RoadCrafter in '01 or '02 and it's still going strong.  I think my Gerbing is from... '98 maybe... 

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
Re: Do I do the AA Meeting introduction?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
Welcome! :)
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
Welcome.
Aerostich sucks.  ;D

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum Ken.

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Aerstitch does suck.  It's ugly, heavy, takes forever to break in, people think it's a snowmobile suit, etc.   But then again - there's nothing quite like seeing a rain cloud between you & where you are going...  Then moving on with life by riding through it.   :)

Doesn't really matter to me what people wear, so long as they wear something.   Just because it's hot outside - doesn't mean the pavement gets any softer.  I've been on rides where people went down.  I can tell you from experience that they look better out the other side when they're in gear.  Showed up to a Harley guy that went down in jeans and a leather vest (on route to Sturgis) - I didn't throw up but damn near.  Was on an HSTA ride when a member threw a VFR into the guard rail.  They left the bike in the ditch and he road pillion to the next stop in his Aerostitch.

I wore Hein Gericke leathers until I moved to Colorado.  I totaled a Triumph 955i into the side of a Honda Civic in '99 in Gericke leathers...  Walked away from it and that driver bought me a new bike.

Then I lived in the mountains for half a dozen years and learned to love Aerostitch gear.  You never quite know what you are going to see in a day of riding, especially NE and West.  On a July day it might be cold in the morning, hot at low altitude and snowing up high.  It sucks to pull over, pull out your rain garb, ride along, sweat your a$$ off in plastic, pull over, take it off...

As for pulling over and waiting out the rain?  Have fun with that.   8)

Offline Neub

• Randy Neubauer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »
Welcome Ken.  May met in Colorado since I was in HSTA until moving from Boulder metro area in 2000, hope to see you in some rides.
2009 BMW K1300s

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
Must have.  I was in Louisville, CO until fall 2000.  Still had the red Triumph at that point.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 01:49:33 PM »
Welcome.

Offline Vander

• Family Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »
Haha... sorry to get you ranting right out of the gate, man.

And thank you for taking the time to try and convince me, but I've heard all of that before...  I think I heard somewhere that wearing an Aerostich protects from gingivitis and the fabric can filter water into wine as well.   ;D

My biggest obstacles are the price (and, no my life ISN'T worth that much) and the style (yes, I am that vain).  To me, there are far better options out there.

Offline kkralickus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »
Heh - no rant here.  You'll know when I rant - I go all sorts of crazy.   ;D

No argument here - Aerostitch is some ugly stuff.  I've had my RoadCrafter for a decade now and there honestly wasn't anything that could compete with the protection at that time.  Joe Rocket had some stuff but it seemed to wear from simple daily wear. 

I was in Bob's Cycle this morning and I have to say, like the look of the new Icon gear.