Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aux. Lighting  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
Aux. Lighting
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:25:58 PM »
  I've been looking for 3 years since I commute both to, and from, work at 4:30 and 5:30 AM. I've been unwilling to spend the huge dough for H.I.D. and VERY unwilling to spend big $$$ on PIAA lights that are basically automobile headlights...
  So I found these---   http://www.visionxstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=403

Lifetime warranty. I'm wondering if anyone here runs them, or knows someone who does. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I thought I'd check here first. With the diversity of riders I just can't pass up using you guys and gals as a data base.

Sanders
     '07 BMW GS ADV.
     '75 R90/6 (It's a blast)
Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline NephronRacing

• View Profile
Re: Aux. Lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
Have you checked out DDMTuning.com?  $25 for a single bulb HID.  I put them on my duc and it's freaking awesome!

PKPK

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:24:10 PM »
I can assure you that PIAA's are not just "car headlights" Jeff.  The first difference is the PIAA lens are hardened glass and are cut for a certain focal throw.  Basic car headlights are plastic and I doubt the mid range and lower cars are designed for any particular throw.  The PIAAS are rugged lamps with aluminum enclosure, vibration mounted bulbs and waterproof. My 910's (which my wife bought for something like $230 for a pair) light down the road for 1/4 mile and saved my ass more than once on a November night.

Generally I have noticed whenever lighting threads come up on sport touring websites, the guys who bitch about their lamps burning our frequently or falling apart after a year, bought the lamps from Pep Boys (or similar) to save a buck and hoping they light just as well as good lamps.  I have never hear of a PIAA or Hella going bad or falling apart in similar fashion.  I think when it comes to lighting, the old adage applies, you get what you pay for. 

I find it ironic that a dude who forks out $800 for Beemer branded gear, including underwear, and owns a new GS, would turn around and diss quality lamps.    ???

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:26:13 AM »
  I've been looking for 3 years since I commute both to, and from, work at 4:30 and 5:30 AM. I've been unwilling to spend the huge dough for H.I.D. and VERY unwilling to spend big $$$ on PIAA lights that are basically automobile headlights...
  So I found these---   http://www.visionxstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=403

Lifetime warranty. I'm wondering if anyone here runs them, or knows someone who does. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I thought I'd check here first. With the diversity of riders I just can't pass up using you guys and gals as a data base.

Sanders
     '07 BMW GS ADV.
     '75 R90/6 (It's a blast)

Three thoughts:

1. Put a relay on each of your current headlight beams if you haven't already.

2. Hella FF50s.  Used to be able to find 'em on eBay for under $50, now they're closer to $100.  The closer to your eyes you can mount 'em, the better they'll work for you.  Not sure what mounts are avaliable for the GS, but I'd try to mount 'em close to my headlight or higher.  I know there's a legal limit.  Get an Auto-Switch.

3. I have no experience with them, but I hear of people getting good results with some of the >$100 HID setups.

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:34:31 PM »
Oops didn't intend to 'dis your PIAA's Paul. I only mentioned them as some of their light kits are low wattage/big buck rigs. Yours are going for $380.00 a pair at the first site I that came up and look to be pretty nice.
I was refering to (and should have said so) the 510's, 520's and 540's which have a 35W H3 bulb automotive looking things with a cheap ass plastic grill going for $325.00. I think those are bit of rip-off, but I've never seen them in action so I probably should'nt comment.

I can assure you that PIAA's are not just "car headlights" Jeff.  The first difference is the PIAA lens are hardened glass and are cut for a certain focal throw.  Basic car headlights are plastic and I doubt the mid range and lower cars are designed for any particular throw.  The PIAAS are rugged lamps with aluminum enclosure, vibration mounted bulbs and waterproof. My 910's (which my wife bought for something like $230 for a pair) light down the road for 1/4 mile and saved my ass more than once on a November night.

Generally I have noticed whenever lighting threads come up on sport touring websites, the guys who bitch about their lamps burning our frequently or falling apart after a year, bought the lamps from Pep Boys (or similar) to save a buck and hoping they light just as well as good lamps.  I have never hear of a PIAA or Hella going bad or falling apart in similar fashion.  I think when it comes to lighting, the old adage applies, you get what you pay for. 

I find it ironic that a dude who forks out $800 for Beemer branded gear, including underwear, and owns a new GS, would turn around and diss quality lamps.    ???

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »

Three thoughts:

1. Put a relay on each of your current headlight beams if you haven't already.

2. Hella FF50s.  Used to be able to find 'em on eBay for under $50, now they're closer to $100.  The closer to your eyes you can mount 'em, the better they'll work for you.  Not sure what mounts are avaliable for the GS, but I'd try to mount 'em close to my headlight or higher.  I know there's a legal limit.  Get an Auto-Switch.

3. I have no experience with them, but I hear of people getting good results with some of the >$100 HID setups.
[/quote]
I'm inept at all things electrical. Not a clue. Took me a LONG time to wire up heated grips on the FJR years back and that was a rheostat straight to the battery. I couldn't wire up a relay if my wifes life depended on it. If I could do any of that stuff, I would have done a Stebel horn a long time ago. So its gotta be simple for a simpleton...like plug and play.
I remember those Hella's slicing through South Dakota plains a few years back!
Thanks for your help Brent!

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:24:58 PM »
I'm inept at all things electrical. Not a clue. Took me a LONG time to wire up heated grips on the FJR years back and that was a rheostat straight to the battery. I couldn't wire up a relay if my wifes life depended on it. If I could do any of that stuff, I would have done a Stebel horn a long time ago. So its gotta be simple for a simpleton...like plug and play.
I remember those Hella's slicing through South Dakota plains a few years back!
Thanks for your help Brent!

Jeffy, Does your bike use H4 bulbs?  If so, check this out:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html

I've heard good things about this guy's products.  He's got some connections to get this stuff shipped from Japan (where he lives) quickly.

If your bike DOESN'T use H4's, then you should ride down here and we'll have a relay installing day.

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
H7 bulb 12V/55W

When can I come and see you? It's been awhile, you used to be my best riding bud  *sniff*

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »
H7 bulb 12V/55W

When can I come and see you? It's been awhile, you used to be my best riding bud  *sniff*

I think Sandy is your best riding bud now, Jeffie!  :D  But we will have to get together.  I'm not real familiar with H7 bulbs and sockets, but if I can find a pair of sockets, male and female, I'll make you a plug-and-play relay kit!  And then we'll go ridin'!

Brent

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 07:18:14 AM »
 +1 on the Sylvania Silverstars. Although not an HID, they are an improvement over stock. The headlight housing on my bike is flawed, and creates an abrupt cut off on low beam. Its like some one taped off the top third of the head lamp lens. High beam dosnt do this and lights up great. Being H-4 bulbs, the only way to cure the low beam cut off is to raise the light beam, efectively making high beam too high. It seams this is a known problem for Sprints, and early Daytonas. So HID's on this bike really wouldnt be a bennifit. The Sylverstars on the other hand improve the quality of the light its self, closer to day light, and do get more light out to the side of the bike, just not in front of it. So the few bucks for these bulbs, I think, is well worth it.
'99 Sprint ST