Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:01:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great idea that protects drivers, but riders?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Great idea that protects drivers, but riders?
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »
nary a word about the horrendous danger these are to motorcyclists.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/260358641.html?page=1&c=y
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:26:20 PM by Greg »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline jotto

• Suzuki 1250, Ducati, Yamaha, KTM
    • View Profile
Re: Great idea that protects drivers, but riders?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »
Yeah, I saw this article today.  Can you say "cheese slicer"?  I had that thought when they first went up.  I question their notion of "no fatalities" with this new setup.  Keep the rubber side down...

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:14:39 AM »
When you call the state about this and ask about reports on motorcycles they have none.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 08:02:15 AM »
I immediately thought of motorcyclists when they installed long stretches of cable fencing along I94 from I694 east.  Scary looking.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:31:21 AM »
There is a ton of other threats in the ditches that can maim and kill riders.  I have yet to hear of any rider that died from hitting a cable barrier (where they might as well have survived otherwise.)  On the other hand, I personally know motorists who were killed when an oncoming car went out of control and crossed over the median into their path.

The highway dept has to weigh these risks all the time.  When rain grooves were installed on certain roadways, it was acknowledged that riders risked getting chewed up by the texture but I didn't hear any chorus from the motorcycle community to stop the installations.

When all is said and done, I'm willing to accept the risk from a cable barrier, knowing that my family and friends will potentially be saved from out of control vehicles.

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
There is a ton of other threats in the ditches that can maim and kill riders.  I have yet to hear of any rider that died from hitting a cable barrier (where they might as well have survived otherwise.)  On the other hand, I personally know motorists who were killed when an oncoming car went out of control and crossed over the median into their path.

The highway dept has to weigh these risks all the time.  When rain grooves were installed on certain roadways, it was acknowledged that riders risked getting chewed up by the texture but I didn't hear any chorus from the motorcycle community to stop the installations.

When all is said and done, I'm willing to accept the risk from a cable barrier, knowing that my family and friends will potentially be saved from out of control vehicles.

Everyone has a right to their viewpoint on these, but you are an outlier in comparison to most other riders on this issue Paul. My experience is this. I've known dozens of people who have ridden into the ditch, and most have walked or ridden out of it. With those cable barriers ..... much different outcome.

Edit to Ray's post below: Good points Ray, though I stand by my experiences. I've known many folks who have ridden off the road, and not one who was hit by oncoming traffic.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:37:10 PM by Greg »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 01:32:16 PM »
Actually this idea protects more than car drivers. While the driver and passengers in a car crossing the median and going into oncoming traffic certainly are at risk of injury, the occupants of any and all vehicles traveling in the opposite direction are at significant risk of injury. While a cable divider my maim or be fatal to a rider hitting one, I'd guess that motorcyclists struck by a car crossing the center median would be unlikely to survive.

I'd also guess that cars crossing the center median represent a multiplier risk, highly likely to collide with at least one vehicle and probably likely to collide with multiple vehicles. From this perspective, it might make sense to consider this in the context of protecting oncoming traffic more than protecting the driver of the vehicle at risk of crossing the center median.

Viewed in the context of reducing fatalities and injuries to all motor vehicle occupants, I'd guess that the risk to motorcyclists is far out weighed by the risk to all oncoming occupants.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 02:00:44 AM »
I was living in CA at the time rain grooves came out. It was a very big deal at the time. They stopped right away. After studying this they put the groove in but not in the center part of the lane. After this tires were change so that groove were no trouble.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 02:03:33 AM »
I had to go to the ditch because of a crash that was going on in front of me. I rode in and rode back out without going down. I have seen this with cars as well. In fact one time I was a passenger. No one was hurt and the car was not damaged.

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »
When I first started seeing these, they were installed in the center of the median. Now, Ive noticed they are more commonly on the shoulder of one of the lanes of traffic ( like pictured in the 1st post link).
Its like they think traffic on the far side wont ever loose control. Wouldn't they want them to be stopped in the center of the median? Mean while on the installed side, there is essentially no shoulder room, if you need to move left to avoid a collision, or if you have a break down and traffic is too heavy to get to the far right shoulder.
I get the suspicion they discovered it may be cheaper/ easier to install off the shoulder of one direction of traffic, and that's my biggest issue with them. Placed in the center of the median would seam to be a more proper placement location.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
If you are looking the placement of the cables. I believe they are in the right place. If you look at it from a line of force and you are going off the curve they give you some room. But you are right if you are on the other side you have no choice but always go to your right.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
Shouldn't all your outrage extend to any barrier erected on the side of the roads?  Curvy roads on a hill have always had cables or other abutments that are hazardous to riders. What makes the presence of median barriers any more worrisome than any other guardrails?

Median barriers are typically erected only on high speed four lane roads.  You're not likely to going to be ditch riding in that location anyway. 

There was an explanation of the placement in the Strib a few weeks back.  It costs more to put them in the center where there is no existing footing.  It also has the potential of being the  lowest point of the road and vehicles might go over them.

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 11:21:58 AM »
Shouldn't all your outrage extend to any barrier erected on the side of the roads?  Curvy roads on a hill have always had cables or other abutments that are hazardous to riders. What makes the presence of median barriers any more worrisome than any other guardrails?

Median barriers are typically erected only on high speed four lane roads.  You're not likely to going to be ditch riding in that location anyway. 

There was an explanation of the placement in the Strib a few weeks back.  It costs more to put them in the center where there is no existing footing.  It also has the potential of being the  lowest point of the road and vehicles might go over them.

No outrage Paul, just "chewing the fat" in the digital era.  I'll let you have the last word on this. Oh wait, ............  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 11:34:54 AM by Greg »

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
On the hills if there are no barriers you go over the cliff. The barrier is on the edge. The ones on the freeway take away the safety zone.